Structural Columns In A Deck Rail

alaska

Using X-7 does anyone know of a way to add structural columns in the railing to support a roof for a covered deck?  I'm trying to add them in specific locations (unequal spacing) so not to interfere w/ views from door and windows. I've done it before using cad blocks or even soffits but thought there might be better way. Inquiring minds want to know!

If you place an opening in railing it will place a newel post at each end. Use post to beam and adjust beam size. If you place them correctly it will work. You can also just place the post separately as a symbol. For that you need to change the newel to 1/16" and it will go away. I do both depending on the situation.

Bill that is very nice, I didn't test it because PC is a bit far, but hope the magic is the point that the invisible wall intersects the railing automatically gives a newel at that point!

Really nice trick. I think I won the gold.

Perry, draw three parallel invisible railing walls at rondom interval, then draw a normal railing that crosses the former three. 4 segments of railings are resulted, but the most important point here I think is you can drag the invisible wall to both +x and -x so that the corresponding newel moves with it, and nothing disturbs like when you break the wall and not change the property of one in the structure tab, then it joins back after clicking that wall during work. Even if you change the property of one of the walls you need two steps to move the break to where you want. Bill's way is soooooo easy that you simply drag the invisible wall to position newels.

Hope I did not state the obvious bill, before testing it I thought it was simple but not just an easy task to figure out quickly.

Thank you very much bill

Perry if you still wanted the beam with post and did the invisible wall where you wanted the post you can control where you wanted the post, and if railings were on there ok if you wanted no railings but still wanted post with beam I can see where Bills method would work well

Just what I was looking for to gain greater control over the spacing of the balusters in the individual railing sections of different lengths, keeping them spaced equidistant from the columns, which themselves can be now be varied in size (although if you do vary the size of the columns the balusters will not remain equidistant).

Perfect!

post-571-0-99779400-1429623035_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-56643700-1429623053_thumb.jpg

Be very mindful using breaks and invisible walls to locate structural posts.  There is a known bug with this which I have reported.  It will look right one minute and then move or edit a connected wall and/or railing and suddenly the columns move, double up, and do any number of weird things.  I am back to placing them manually as Perry suggested.  Am hoping this gets fixed soon.

It would be nice if the room divider worked for Bill's method but I can't get it to work.  Thanks for the tip Bill.

Edit: Just hide the invisible walls by making their line color white or no color, or if possible, just turn the layer off.  This takes care of any undesirable plan view issues regarding using invisible walls.

Be very mindful using breaks and invisible walls to locate structural posts. There is a known bug with this which I have reported. It will look right one minute and then move or edit a connected wall and/or railing and suddenly the columns move, double up, and do any number of weird things. I am back to placing them manually as Perry suggested. Am hoping this gets fixed soon.

Bryce, have you followed the post #10 explanation?

I don't think those weird things occur and I am not directly using a break but crossing invisible wall,

This is my thought on bill's yet unanswered homework , may be he will explain a different and easier way.

Any way thanks bill for sharing this good thing.

Here is a video if any one needs more clarification.

It would be nice if the room divider worked for Bill's method but I can't get it to work.  Thanks for the tip Bill.

Edit: Just hide the invisible walls by making their line color white or no color, or if possible, just turn the layer off.  This takes care of any undesirable plan view issues regarding using invisible walls.

Curt, it works also for the room divider! Simply the same way as I explained above.

Thanks curt for thinking of more perfect way to do it. Here goes chieeef!

post-2517-0-44905300-1429659557_thumb.jpg

Bryce, have you followed the post #10 explanation?

I don't think those weird things occur and I am not directly using a break but crossing invisible wall,

This is my thought on bill's yet unanswered homework , may be he will explain a different and easier way.

Any way thanks bill for sharing this good thing.

Here is a video if any one needs more clarification.

Yes, I have.  All I can tell you is that initially it seems to work, but then problems develop.  It will correct itself temporarily, sometimes, then go bad again.  As I said, it's an acknowledged bug.  Just keep an eye out.

Well, I can not insist there is no bug. chief's behaviour is volatile in most of it's operation, while it is again what makes up its beauty. A lot of ways to do, but the broken ramp is the most stable way as we have discussed in an earlier thread.

I do break walls on the railings all the time. If you leave the "exterior" on the same side then it will re-attach to the next section, but just flip the railings and they remain where they need to be.

thx ...nice Tip :)

yusuf:

I must have been doing something wrong the first time I tried it.  Thanks.

I found you had to draw the "break" walls/room divider 1st , then the railing ,or drag the railing over them afterwards  or it didn't work.

I do break walls on the railings all the time. If you leave the "exterior" on the same side then it will re-attach to the next section, but just flip the railings and they remain where they need to be.

Yes, very nice tip! And then you can even delete the invisible walls.

Thanks

• 2 months later...