Importing terrain data

ericepv

I need to import terrain data into Chief but the only thing my client can provide is a PDF which does me no good. I know I could trace elevation lines over the PDF but that would be very tedious and time consuming. A contour map is available from the county GIS site in several formats (CSV,KML, Shapefile, GeoJSON) but no DWG or DXF. I did download the CSV file and tried to bring it to Chief using 'Import Terrain Assistant'  (the only one of these Chief will accept) but because the data is not in an x, y, z format, it didn't work. I'm open to suggestions.

- Eric

You've watched the Chief training vid showing how easy?

And the Dan Baumann one?  Easier.

With Chief terrain, less is more, unless the terrain is the side of a mountain with cliffs and outcrops.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

You've watched the Chief training vid showing how easy?

And the Dan Baumann one?  Easier.

With Chief terrain, less is more, unless the terrain is the side of a mountain with cliffs and outcrops.

Chief yes, Dan B no. It's easy as long as I have a DWG/DBX (which I do not). Is there another way that I'm missing?

9 hours ago, ericepv said:

I did download the CSV file and tried to bring it to Chief using 'Import Terrain Assistant'  (the only one of these Chief will accept) but because the data is not in an x, y, z format, it didn't work.

What format was it ?  There are 12 import choices and if none of them work you should be able to edit the file in excel or even note pad.

7 hours ago, Mark3D said:

PDF to cad there a app for iOS and probily android  then just import the outputed cad file  and import to chief then give the  elevation lines there correct height

I do have a DWG which a fellow user created from the PDF. Unfortunately, the contour lines are all in small sections. I could join them but that's probably the only thing I'd be doing for the next week.

7 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

What format was it ?  There are 12 import choices and if none of them work you should be able to edit the file in excel or even note pad.

Are you referring t the CSV file?  This is one of the formats supported by the 'Import Terrain Assistant' but the data is not presented in an X, Y, Z format as is required by the assistant. In regards to editing the file in Excel or notepad, that's not something I'm familiar with. The CSV file is attached.

Contour_10ft_Line.csv

31 minutes ago, ericepv said:

I do have a DWG which a fellow user created from the PDF. Unfortunately, the contour lines are all in small sections. I could join them but that's probably the only thing I'd be doing for the next week.

when importing try  Selecting Convert lines with shared endpoints into   polylines

19 minutes ago, Mark3D said:

when importing try  Selecting Convert lines with shared endpoints into   polylines

I tried that but I still get a multi-segmented line.

17 minutes ago, ericepv said:

I tried that but I still get a multi-segmented line.

Sorry i should have looked at your pdf those dashed lines are the problem i am trying a convert on my end just to see what happens

1 hour ago, ericepv said:

The CSV file is attached

Unfortunately this won't work because the CSV file isn't using point data. For a CSV file to work, you need x,y,z coordinates for each point. 

When you only have a pdf there really won't be any super quick way to model the terrain, but I can offer a bit of advice. I'd start by importing the pdf and aligning it. I like to draw a transparent cad mask over top of it to soften it's visual effect. I'd recommend placing elevation points around the perimeter of the property using the pdf as a tracing guide, starting with the 5' increment points only. Then build the terrain and visually compare the generated contour lines.

Draw some CAD grid lines to evenly divide the property and repeat that process using elevation points. Don't over do it! Start with a center grid line, and then keep 'halving' those spaces as needed.

Using your grid lines as a reference for placing elevation points, compare Chief's contours to the survey plan. Add elevation points on your grid lines to match up with the survey primary contours. Fill in the 'blanks' with more elevation points, on your grid, aligning with the survey secondary contours only where it is clearly needed.

Use elevation polylines or splines to replicate the primary contours ONLY in a smaller area around where the buildings are located. Use a CAD polyline around the building so you can cleanly control the start and end of the elevation lines. Experiment by making the CAD polyline around the buildings, say 50' larger all the way around. Increase only there is an obvious need or benefit. There's probably no need for elevation lines for the entire property, plus Chief will slow down to be unusable. Make sure elevation lines do not end too close to your own elevation points, just to avoid conflicting data.

How big in acres is the parcel?  I did a new house on a 7 acre mountain lot and only modeled the terrain for the house footprint plus about a 40 foot larger bounds.  All the cut and fill was within.

58 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Unfortunately this won't work because the CSV file isn't using point data. For a CSV file to work, you need x,y,z coordinates for each point. 

When you only have a pdf there really won't be any super quick way to model the terrain, but I can offer a bit of advice. I'd start by importing the pdf and aligning it. I like to draw a transparent cad mask over top of it to soften it's visual effect. I'd recommend placing elevation points around the perimeter of the property using the pdf as a tracing guide, starting with the 5' increment points only. Then build the terrain and visually compare the generated contour lines.

Draw some CAD grid lines to evenly divide the property and repeat that process using elevation points. Don't over do it! Start with a center grid line, and then keep 'halving' those spaces as needed.

Using your grid lines as a reference for placing elevation points, compare Chief's contours to the survey plan. Add elevation points on your grid lines to match up with the survey primary contours. Fill in the 'blanks' with more elevation points, on your grid, aligning with the survey secondary contours only where it is clearly needed.

Use elevation polylines or splines to replicate the primary contours ONLY in a smaller area around where the buildings are located. Use a CAD polyline around the building so you can cleanly control the start and end of the elevation lines. Experiment by making the CAD polyline around the buildings, say 50' larger all the way around. Increase only there is an obvious need or benefit. There's probably no need for elevation lines for the entire property, plus Chief will slow down to be unusable. Make sure elevation lines do not end too close to your own elevation points, just to avoid conflicting data.

I think this may be my only option.

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

How big in acres is the parcel?  I did a new house on a 7 acre mountain lot and only modeled the terrain for the house footprint plus about a 40 foot larger bounds.  All the cut and fill was within.

It's just shy of 8 acres but the client is looking specifically for a rendering of the full, undeveloped lot.

Probably best to go back to surveyor, think I saw info on plat. Ask nicely if he would give you a dwg or possibly a 3D DWG. Lot of surveyors in my area use Carlson software so easy enough for them to do this. He also can do a 3D topo of all this data if he has typical surveyor software. ( He may charge additional to do this)

kw

8 minutes ago, KevinWaldron said:

Probably best to go back to surveyor, think I saw info on plat. Ask nicely if he would give you a dwg or possibly a 3D DWG. Lot of surveyors in my area use Carlson software so easy enough for them to do this. He also can do a 3D topo of all this data if he has typical surveyor software. ( He may charge additional to do this)

kw

The surveyor is not willing to provide the source file.

4 hours ago, ericepv said:
12 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Are you referring t the CSV file?  This is one of the formats supported by the 'Import Terrain Assistant' but the data is not presented in an X, Y, Z format as is required by the assistant. In regards to editing the file in Excel or notepad, that's not something I'm familiar with. The CSV file is attached.

Yes the CSV file as Rob has commented on above.   I am not even sure what that data is or how it would be of any use to anyone.

image.png.e884e53fd52d4a02dfc97d1396b510cf.png

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes the CSV file as Rob has commented on above.   I am not even sure what that data is or how it would be of any use to anyone.

image.png.e884e53fd52d4a02dfc97d1396b510cf.png

The csv data is for a shape file.

On 6/20/2024 at 1:12 PM, ericepv said:

I need to import terrain data into Chief but the only thing my client can provide is a PDF which does me no good. I know I could trace elevation lines over the PDF but that would be very tedious and time consuming. A contour map is available from the county GIS site in several formats (CSV,KML, Shapefile, GeoJSON) but no DWG or DXF. I did download the CSV file and tried to bring it to Chief using 'Import Terrain Assistant'  (the only one of these Chief will accept) but because the data is not in an x, y, z format, it didn't work. I'm open to suggestions.

- Eric

I think your only option if you can't get the DWG file is to trace the contour lines.  I have done that a few times, and it works pretty well.  Try just the major lines and then if need adjust with a few "in between lines"  Fortunately CA supports spline contour lines.   Once you have the lines traced you can adjust the curves between points with the advanced spline option.

image.thumb.png.29e519e7cd8fac16dd92aee13c2eefc5.png

image.thumb.png.ff5a3719a9cfdfe431b80d9468851fc9.png

Subscribe or Log In to view the Professional GIS Map (bookmark this link)

Pay online through PayPal (includes convenience fee - view pricing) or by credit card or check payable to: Town of Huntington, 100 Main Street, Department of Planning and Environment - Room 212, Huntington, NY 11743

Request a Free 60-Day Trial of the Professional GIS

Questions? Contact (631) 351-3196 or GISPro-Admin@huntingtonny.gov

The free GIS doesn't give you what you need.

49 minutes ago, JiAngelo said:

image.thumb.png.29e519e7cd8fac16dd92aee13c2eefc5.png

image.thumb.png.ff5a3719a9cfdfe431b80d9468851fc9.png

Subscribe or Log In to view the Professional GIS Map (bookmark this link)

Pay online through PayPal (includes convenience fee - view pricing) or by credit card or check payable to: Town of Huntington, 100 Main Street, Department of Planning and Environment - Room 212, Huntington, NY 11743

Request a Free 60-Day Trial of the Professional GIS

Questions? Contact (631) 351-3196 or GISPro-Admin@huntingtonny.gov

The free GIS doesn't give you what you need.

Good to know, I'll check it out.