Can a client using 20/20 import a CA DXF file?

dshall

12 minutes ago, ericepv said:

Sounds simple enough, have you sent a test file to your client to open?

I did send them a file. I don’t think I know how to do it. I just wanted to make sure it was possible.

4 minutes ago, dshall said:

I did send them a file. I don’t think I know how to do it. I just wanted to make sure it was possible.

File/Export/Export Current View or Export all floors

Are you trying to send them a floor plan or a 3D model?

Might depend on the product but according to their web site, you can import autocad 3D files (DWG) but I couldn't find anything about 2D files.

https://design.support.cyncly.com/hc/en-us/articles/20596586346513-Import-and-export-files

Probably need to ask someone who has used 2020, like @MarkMcmaybe?

I sent them in yet DXF file.  I just want to know if a 2020 user can import a DXF file. I am not sure my clients are savvy enough to understand it.

I can’t believe it’s not possible to import a DXF file in 2020. I did look on the Internet and it wasn’t very clear on whether you could import a DXF file in 2020.

just trying to get clarification from somebody that knows.

Have not used in a decade but last I knew not as anything useful other than a symbol. At least I doubt anything with intelligence. Certainly not usable cabinets anymore than you could import a wall type into CA from cad.

FWIW when I was using it the supposed interoperability with Envisioneer was a mess and support for that non-existant.

What do they need from Chief in 2020?

They have CA,  but they do cabinets in 20/20.  I draw the plans in CA and then they need to draw in 20/20 to do their cabinets.  

so stupid that 20/20 cannot import DXF. 

2 hours ago, dshall said:

They have CA,  but they do cabinets in 20/20.  I draw the plans in CA and then they need to draw in 20/20 to do their cabinets.  

I think it can do 3D DWGs and some Sketchup "Shapes"  but AFAIK Chief only exports 2D DWGs.....  but don't quote me on that :) 

M.

(width/3).ceil*3

16 hours ago, dshall said:

They have CA,  but they do cabinets in 20/20

IMO the only thing 2020 offers is pricing.

When I was transitioning to CA still using both I would set up labels in Chief and do all drawing there. Then export a cabinet schedule to spreadsheet. Open an "item list" in 2020; copy paste the codes into it; voila, pricing. You could add mods to that in 2020, or as I did put them in an OIP field (or just comments %comment% if that is not used otherwise) so they also end up in the schedule. I always kept a PDF price catalog open on a second screen just in case.

Getting nomenclature to match

Back in the day I first typed it in and added to library and used replace from library. Then worked out a couple of macros, eventually settling on very simple ones IOW not a macro that tries to label every type of cabinet. (I had one for a specific brand that was a bear to do and then got broken with an upgrade version)

Nowadays I would proceed to use a macro for the default label. Simplest would just point to the Code (%component_code%) field OR a bit more complicated but simple enough reads from an OIP field.

Depending on the brand the auto label could still go into that field. For other brands use very simple macros to get correct nomenclature for the majority of cabinets. Some brands always want the label to read in 3" increments and size mods are separate. For those set up a dimension macro that round up to a 3" increment -   (width/3).ceil*3

image.thumb.png.83f45b880aab4589b539e7275961c301.pngimage.png.328917254bded596855f71d5f6580035.pngimage.thumb.png.5827e23e7e35c5123d8c21bcdb06e4ee.pngimage.thumb.png.2e2bc0312a9758882898214ec0455f8d.png

For cabinets that would require a complicated macro don't bother. Instead just type in the code and use size macros. Every time you do that set up a Style palette for that type of cabinet. In the long run most folks will only need a dozen of so. Once that is done it's fast and ez to get nomenclature into the schedule.

FWIW The system is not all that much different than what I did when I only used 2020 because the pricing was so unreliable. After I got Chief I used some version of that with 6 different brands (2 with nomenclature designed by the devil). Toward the end I was handling 3 brands with a total of 9 lines of cabinets. Only one brand supported 2020. Depending on brand I used this system for all of them either putting the information into an online ordering system (drag and drop) or into a spreadsheet order form template. It was faster to put the order in online with drag and drop than to bother using 2020 which now collects dust.

17 hours ago, dshall said:

Don't know if this relevant, but....  

A lot of cabinet folks (builders) are actually making the units with CNC thus 2020, Mozaik, KCD, Cabinet Vision, Sketchup with add-ons and a host of others. Not sure about your clients place in ordering or manufacturing. In our area many still build custom cabinets.

Chief does not produce the internal components necessary to take a piece of lumber and or plywood/sheet goods to make cabinets. What we have for the most part in CA is a representation of components. Example: it want  show front and or back drawer dovetails and internal dimensions or cut the dado necessary for the bottom of said drawer bottom, location of hinge screws, draw pulls etc.

kw