twinmotion

decorators3

Go to solution Solved by scottharris,

HI

I am curious as to why I see some many renders from CA redone in twinmotion or lumion.. I currently use CA x 11 but am moving onto X 15 .  Is it necessary to go to outside sources for renderings or is it a personal choice.  I did download twinmotion free trial but have yet to understand it.  If I invest in X15 does it make sense to also purchase outside software to enhance exterior and interior renderings .

At the moment I supply exterior renderings for builders etc.  seems to be going fine. 

Watching you tube videos from seasoned users using twinmotion  does not help me because I need step by step to learn , some of these video tutorials are beyond me for sure.

Do I really need exterior software ???

2 hours ago, decorators3 said:

Do I really need exterior software ???

The short answer is, definitely not. 

I use Twinmotion because it is easier to add landscaping, trees bushes etc. 

It’s also easier to create several images and especially video walkthroughs in TwinMotion. Much easier, actually. 

But you don’t need it. Another point is that Twinmotion is free and easy to learn albeit with a very foreign interface for a Chief user. 

• Upvote 1

• Solution

With a computer that supports real-time ray tracing (GPU), you can make renderings in seconds – of course that is after you build, decorate, and light your model.  If your computer does not support real-time ray tracing (GPU), you can use the CPU; it takes minutes to hours for a render.  Attached are two GPU render examples and one CPU of the latest Chief Architect X15 Silverton Sample Plan.

Chief Architect models can be exported to external renders - like Twinmotion, and achieve additional fidelity with the renders.

Siverton-Kitchen-PBR.jpg

Siverton-Rear-Overview-PRB-Evening.jpg

Siverton-Front-Overview-CutAway2-CPU-RT.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Another point is that Twinmotion is free

Is it still free? I thought that changed? unless grandfathered in? been a while since I played with it as Chief by in large has been good enough but as a general rule I don't add all the landscaping or other "Set Dressing" either.

Is Twinmotion necessary ?   no , but you do need a computer with a Videocard capable of RTRT  ie a 2000, 3000, or 4000 Series Nvidia Card and then learning the ins and outs of RTRT  of course but the Denoiser in X15 has been a game changer vs the previous 2 Versions IMHO.

M.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all very much.  It was very enlightening.  The first step is upgrading to x15 and I understand there is a discount offered for the first year.

I will one step at a time.

Again, I find this forum to be a great access for advise and direction

Cheers

Levina

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

At IBS recently, I talked with one of the stock plan people at Zonda Media, since my goal is to get into that market. I brought some examples, with Chief X15 PBR renderings touched up in Photoshop. They do not pass muster at Zonda, which dominates the stock plan market with several websites. I was told the renderings need to be more photo-realistic. Chief's rendering capabilities are better than ever, and are excellent for showing clients, contractors, putting on your website, etc. But apparently, if you want to sell plans on the market, you have to go a step further.

Consequently I downloaded Twinmotion (they still have a free version with abbreviated functions) and I'm trying to learn it. Eventually I will need to hire out the rendering to people far more skilled than I, but I at least want to run a rendering past my contact at Zonda to see if it is more acceptable.

Anyone have input on learning Twinmotion? Recommended tutorials? I keep making mistakes that aren't covered in the tutorial I've been watching. Frustrating.

13 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

Anyone have input on learning Twinmotion? Recommended tutorials?

Firstly the free TwinMotion is the full version of the program.  There is no abbreviation of any functions.

TwinMotion still sucks for interior renders, (Chief with realtime raytrace is way better). 

However, TwinMotion is definitely better for exterior renders, landscaping, video walkthroughs etc.

You should checkout René Rabbit's YouTube channel for tutorials on TwinMotion from a Chiefer's perspective.

example...

2 hours ago, vikiw_bend said:

At IBS recently, I talked with one of the stock plan people at Zonda Media, since my goal is to get into that market. I brought some examples, with Chief X15 PBR renderings touched up in Photoshop. They do not pass muster at Zonda, which dominates the stock plan market with several websites. I was told the renderings need to be more photo-realistic. Chief's rendering capabilities are better than ever, and are excellent for showing clients, contractors, putting on your website, etc. But apparently, if you want to sell plans on the market, you have to go a step further.

Consequently I downloaded Twinmotion (they still have a free version with abbreviated functions) and I'm trying to learn it. Eventually I will need to hire out the rendering to people far more skilled than I, but I at least want to run a rendering past my contact at Zonda to see if it is more acceptable.

Anyone have input on learning Twinmotion? Recommended tutorials? I keep making mistakes that aren't covered in the tutorial I've been watching. Frustrating.

If I were getting into the stock plan market, I would respectfully suggest you learn how to keep everything within Chief. Chief can do it all. For me, exporting between various software would be come too big a hassle as you start to compile variations of a stock plan. It's simply too efficient to copy/paste in Chief to look elsewhere. There are plenty of Chief users producing great images, inside and out. And extremely quickly.

Robert, as I mentioned in my post, the folks at Zonda Media have declared my renderings (in Chief) to be unsatisfactory. I may be able to up my game in Chief, but it is the houses with actual photographs or photo-realistic renderings that sell the best, according to Zonda.

8 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

I may be able to up my game in Chief,

Yes, I'm sure you can! It might take some consultation or training. I know this is getting off topic for the original post, but can you post one of your best renderings and a sample image of what you'd like to achieve?

I can post the one I'm trying to work on right now. As for what I'm trying to achieve, whatever are the best looking ones on any of the plan websites, like e-plans.com, homeplans.com

Zonda folks mostly didn't like the quality of the landscaping.

Stewart PBR.jpg

I pretty much tried to do that, but for me it wasn't as easy as you make it sound - Haha. Trying to get accustomed to the UI, figuring out what did what and then oops! didn't mean to do that. The usual rank beginner stuff. Now I'm back in Chief adding grass regions, learning to create bumpmaps of textures, to see if I can improve the rendering without having to learn an entirely different program. I'll muddle through one way or the other. :)

On 3/7/2024 at 12:21 AM, vikiw_bend said:

Now I'm back in Chief adding grass regions

Hi Viki,

I've done a lot in Twinmotion, but it is a bit time consuming and the builders I draw for do not want to pay for my time for a nice rendering. So I have been working back in Chief the last two weekends working on a solution you may like.

1872550610_chiefrendering.thumb.jpg.93d902eedf6dcd9534b510f27c3c5586.jpg

One thing that is very important is that your eye is at around 5 to 6 feet off the ground. Place yourself in front of the house and move the camera until your front door is about the level of you walking through it of a bit less. You should barely see the bottom side of the porch header.

Hi Stephen, I checked out the other post as well, and you have some great ideas. I'm going to try them out. This has been frustrating, because I need to be designing and drawing stock plans, not spending so much time trying to learn another program (Twinmotion). I can pay for a few renderings, but until I start selling plans, I can't have professional renderings for each one of them. Chicken and egg situation, since the renderings are so important in grabbing the potential buyer, but I can't pay for renderings unless those potential buyers sign on :)

I appreciate your input and the other input I've received from the Forum members. You guys all rock.

9 hours ago, ProPlan_2011 said:

Sure was a windy day.  It may explain why some of the grass seems ripped off. ;)

Nope, I just wanted them to see what the lawn would look like after nature had its way with it.

On 3/10/2024 at 11:13 PM, vikiw_bend said:

Hi Stephen, I checked out the other post as well, and you have some great ideas. I'm going to try them out. This has been frustrating, because I need to be designing and drawing stock plans, not spending so much time trying to learn another program (Twinmotion). I can pay for a few renderings, but until I start selling plans, I can't have professional renderings for each one of them. Chicken and egg situation, since the renderings are so important in grabbing the potential buyer, but I can't pay for renderings unless those potential buyers sign on :)

I appreciate your input and the other input I've received from the Forum members. You guys all rock.

Hi Viki,

I made a new post on rendering within Chief on X15...

image.thumb.png.9d9bbe1c78f7a508d42c4c9db808f548.png

• 2 weeks later...