New Video By Chief Architect About Stretch Planes

Greg_NY61

Notice they are using a directional pointer symbol from another program, I think, but I would like to have that one as part of chief all the time.

99% sure that is from 3ds Max, which makes me assume that is the tool they use to create symbol content. Hopefully that means they are looking at FBX, as the 3ds format has a 64,000 polygon limit, which they could hit with a complicated object.

II think they should have zoomed up on the chain after the final stretch so we could evaluate the results.  Did it add links to the chain?  I don't think so, but I couldn't tell.

If you look carefully you see that the chain is stretched. However, the whole chain section is stretched uniformly, which is better that a stretch plane, which would only have stretched one link.

Funny how this video is almost a copy of the stuff Joe discussed in the workshop, did Chief have a participant? The timing is eerie.

Notice they are using a directional pointer symbol from another program, I think, but I would like to have that one as part of chief all the time.

I was just going to point that out.  Hard to imagine that Chief, being a 3d app, finds it easier to explain logic inside their own app using someone else program (and a simple box)..........irony.

The nugget for me was when Jim pointed out that the origin is determined by orientation IN PLAN VIEW.

Joe, remember we couldn't locate the symbol bounding box in the positive "y" direction, or was it negative direction. Why not rotate symbol 180 in plan view and create new symbol. Now we can alter the alter the bounding box in the direction we want.

The nugget for me was when Jim pointed out that the origin is determined by orientation IN PLAN VIEW.

Joe, remember we couldn't locate the symbol bounding box in the positive "y" direction, or was it negative direction. Why not rotate symbol 180 in plan view and create new symbol. Now we can alter the alter the bounding box in the direction we want.

Scott,

Rotating the Symbol won't do any good.  That ADA Toilet would now be facing the wrong direction.  The front of the toilet (instead of the back) would be up against the wall.  BTW, Jim and I were in total agreement about the Symbol Origin being related to the Plan View orientation when created.  Jim's nugget was the position of the Rotate Handle being at the "Front" of the Symbol.

Scott,

Rotating the Symbol won't do any good.  That ADA Toilet would now be facing the wrong direction.  The front of the toilet (instead of the back) would be up against the wall.  BTW, Jim and I were in total agreement about the Symbol Origin being related to the Plan View orientation when created.  Jim's nugget was the position of the Rotate Handle being at the "Front" of the Symbol.

Of course..... Wasn't thinking

Honestly, how hard it be to have those "stretch lines" displayed temporarily on the object so they graphically relate to what you are working on and trying to do?  Those planes could get very confusing on certain items.

Although, intelligent "smart" sections are starting to show up in CAD apps which will greatly move past "stretch-zones".....  I think this is a very interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-V9IRJzRI

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good comments here!

Funny how this video is almost a copy of the stuff Joe discussed in the workshop, did Chief have a participant? The timing is eerie.

We're sorry we didn't see Joe's Workshop to compare notes! We've been planning on creating a video on this topic for quite some time, as we often hear confusion on the stretch planes topic. We had scheduled it to be release near the end of the year, but as the release of X7 public beta came closer we decided to re-capture it using the most current version of the software.

99% sure that is from 3ds Max, which makes me assume that is the tool they use to create symbol content.

You are right in recognizing 3DS Max's interface for part of the video. Our Content Team primarily uses 3DS Max and the .OBJ file format to create objects for our bonus content. We also rely on Photoshop to create custom textures. We use a guideline of keeping the objects we create within a 10,000 triangle limit. We find that once a plan contains multiple objects of high triangle counts there can be quite a performance lag. We do our best to keep the generic items we produce within this set of bounds, however you might notice that Branded Content may sometimes exceed these limits. This is simply because we try to work directly with the 3D Data that is provided by the brand so it will be accurate to their products.

We chose to show the Origin and UCS in 3DS for this video because it is a good illustration of where the origin exists on objects. One can set his origin directly within 3DS and that value will be transferred into Chief at import. It would be great if the Origin Point, UCS, Stretch Planes, and Stretch Zones were visible references in the Symbol Specification dialog. For now we do our best to both document and illustrate the current functionality. We understand that users are able to learn in different ways and think that offering tutorials in written, audio, and visual forms help all ranges of users to learn the tools.

Best,