New to RTRT

Electromen

33 minutes ago, Electromen said:

Floor too shiny and counter not shiny enough.

Yes, I wondered about that myself.

Yes but not bad for an Electrician :lol::P:), must be why the lighting looks good ! you just need to play with your material properties........

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10210/material-properties-how-to-import-set-the-pattern-visualize-in-3d.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/83/advanced-materials.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10119/using-the-adjust-material-definition-tool.html

M.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Thank You

Using CA as an Electrician to design the electrical for new homes, is something I've done since Chief '97.

This week I met with an Electrical Engineer for the local power company.  I'm wiring his new home.  Obviously, electrical was a high priority.

Here's a quote from his text yesterday.

"Good evening Greg. First, there is no better way for a customer to figure out their electrical layout any better than what you did with your  presentation."  That made me smile, especially coming from an Electrical Engineer that deals with every builder in the area.

I have an office in my home with a 65" TV that mirrors my computer screen.  It takes about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to meet, but when we're done, they leave with a full set of printed electrical drawings.  

As far as I know, I'm the only Electrician in this area using 3D software to design residential lighting, power and low voltage like CAT6 and cameras.

Most of my competitors meet the owner at the job site and walk through with a magic marker and write on the studs.  Others follow a layout on architectural drawings, but 90% use a magic marker.  Electrical drawings are not required for a permit.

I'm not bragging, just relaying how I use CA.  Being able to place furniture, TV's, cars in a garage, etc. gets customers very involved and excited.  They spend more on extras.

I do material take offs for the rough and finish and can even measure wire lengths like sub feed cable without leaving the house.  Above all is customer satisfaction and they're happy.

This forum has been a huge help over the years.  Although I don't post often, I read it everyday.   I belong to a few forums, most have some jerks that think they are comedians.

This group is special, professional and very helpful.  Thank You.

14 hours ago, Electromen said:

Yes X13 Premier, Physically Based Ray Trace.  Also called Real Time Ray Tracing.

Just for clarification PBR and RTRT are not the same thing. PBR can be accomplished with a generic -ish video card and RTRT requires a specific video card with RTRT capabilities. Pretty sure RTRT also does not require 2000 passes as the name refers to 'Real Time' Ray Tracing. Curious which technique did you use? PBR? RTRT? Native Ray Tracing? Still a nice job - for an electrician...:P

Well I dont have the skillset these others have.  I think it looks great.  I kinda wish my kitchen floor WAS that shiny... :)
If I could change only ONE thing, it would be the handle on the cabinet upper left of the stove.  Would be nice to grab spices, oils, ingredients etc with a door that swung open away from stove.  Maybe the same with the lower for pots and pans?
93201777_2022-03-0410_52_10-Window.thumb.jpg.1a6cb774d81e6defda77126ba4d7dfe5.jpg

6 hours ago, Electromen said:

some jerks that think they are comedians

Hey, that hurts my feelings!

Don't forget that when you have camera setup exactly how you like it, you can copy it from one file to another.

I agree that when a customer sees the electrical items in the model (along with other hardware items), they start to appreciate the coordination of all the various items. And of course it helps me with certain planning aspects as well. Speaking from my own experience, it's just a shame that more customers don't get to see what I see in the model.

9 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Just for clarification PBR and RTRT are not the same thing. PBR can be accomplished with a generic -ish video card and RTRT requires a specific video card with RTRT capabilities. Pretty sure RTRT also does not require 2000 passes as the name refers to 'Real Time' Ray Tracing. Curious which technique did you use? PBR? RTRT? Native Ray Tracing? Still a nice job - for an electrician...:P

Video Card is NVIDIA 3080 Ti 12 GB.

I used 3D>Rendering Techniques>Physically Based (Ray Trace)

So is that PBR?

9 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

I just watch a CA training video on RTRT.  Yes, I am using RTRT.  I'm getting a realistic image almost immediately, the stainless steels takes a little time, but 500 passes looks good.

2 hours ago, Electromen said:

Video Card is NVIDIA 3080 Ti 12 GB.

I used 3D>Rendering Techniques>Physically Based (Ray Trace)

So is that PBR?

Yes that is PBR , (Physical Based Render) same as X12 

But in X13  RTRT is if you have the Ray Trace Box Checked inside the PBR Technique Options under Global Illumination

this activates the New in X13 ASTRAL 3D Engine.  It is best to Cap Live Samples so the 3D card does run hard continuously

(think Heat) I find 2500 works well , just takes a tad longer , and most have found it is best to turn Daylight Backdrop intensity

down to 500-700 range max

image.thumb.png.8d4e12a0fe933a7c3e4a6db5bd3b1f6f.png

27 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

What passes are you talking about?

I don’t have a card to perform RTRT but it sounds like you are referring to a RayTrace. 

Correct me if I’m wrong. 

MACs cannot use RTRT    it's why Greg came back to the Light :)  

CA also calls the new GPU based PBR RT  ...Ray Tracing which is a bit confusing,

The old CPU based RT, it is still available but much slower.

The " Passes "  Greg mentions are actually the number of Sample as seen in the Status Bar at the bottom....

image.thumb.png.4a807123a48d51f155481025ea641239.png

• Upvote 1

So "real time" is a little of a misnomer...

2 minutes ago, DG1949 said:

Great job!  Jealous and hoping Mac figures this out. :)

I heard a hint it may come with X14 but don't quote me on that.

Chief and Apple just happened to completely overhaul their rendering processes at the same time. Chief hasn't implemented RTRT on the Mac yet, but they will and then the PC will once again be the bandaged and hobbling frankenstein staggering behind the sleek and sinister MacOS killing machine. :)

3 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

So "real time" is a little of a misnomer...

I heard a hint it may come with X14 but don't quote me on that.

Chief and Apple just happened to completely overhaul their rendering processes at the same time. Chief hasn't implemented RTRT on the Mac yet, but they will and then the PC will once again be the bandaged and hobbling frankenstein staggering behind the sleek and sinister MacOS killing machine. :)

:lol: Here's hoping!