layer sets


BruceKC
 Share

Recommended Posts

When we send an elevation to layout, (using vector mode, color off), is there a way to control line styles and weights etc. or are our only choices pattern and edge line ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes.  Don't select "Use Edge Line Defaults" and use the layers in your elevation view to control the display of edge lines.  Don't select "Use Pattern Line Defaults" and you can control the line weight for the patterns in the Define Material dialog.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Yes.  Don't select "Use Edge Line Defaults" and use the layers in your elevation view to control the display of edge lines.  Don't select "Use Pattern Line Defaults" and you can control the line weight for the patterns in the Define Material dialog.

 

 

 Are there any video tutorials on this process?  I guess I have always just used the "line defaults".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if we have one particular video that does a good job covering this.

 

We have a whole video series on construction docs here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/105/layout-construction-documents.html

 

We also have a number of videos specifically about cross sections and elevations in this series:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/102/cameras-lighting.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone.  I guess what I'm really asking is, is there a layer control that would allow me to change (for example), all foundation walls in elevation view to dashed lines with 18 line weight, roof ridges to heavy lineweight etc. rather than going in and using the "edit layout lines tool" and changing each line separately.  In other words I don't see a way to change things other than manually or setting the edge lines and pattern lines before sending.  I hope this makes sense?  I've included an elevation which shows what I want to do.

front only - 2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think through what you need to do. Chief makes it really easy to experiment which is what I did here.

 

Layer sets control display attributes.

 

I changed all layers to be orange and have a line weight of 100.

 

Sent to layout using that layer set.

 

 

ct1.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The program is basically WYSIWYG so that if you can setup the layers and patterns to look the way you want in your elevation view, then you can send it to layout that way and avoid having to manually edit any plot lines on the layout.

 

When this becomes more difficult is when you want to control separate parts of the same object and they are all using the same layer. 

 

For example, if I have a window in an elevation view and I want the outline lines to be a thicker line weight than all of the other window lines, then there is not really an easy way to do this.  All of the lines will always be the same because they are controlled by the same layer the window is on. 

 

In this case, you could make the window layer lines thin and manually draw the thicker outline using a polyline that is on a different layer.  You could also just edit the lines on the layout page or send the view to a cad detail to edit individual lines. 

 

No matter how you do it though, there is some level of manual work that will have to be updated if you move the window.  In the case of adding a polyline in the elevation view, you might only have to update the one polyline if the window changes size or position.  In the case of editing the plot lines on the layout, you might have to update all of the lines you edited every time anything in the model changes that is visible in that view.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BruceKC said:

When we send an elevation to layout, (using vector mode, color off), is there a way to control line styles and weights etc. or are our only choices pattern and edge line ?

As has been mentioned, the line properties displayed in layout are controlled by the elevation view. There are 2 main ways to access and adjust those layer properties. 

  1. In Layout, right click on the elevation view layout box. Then in the pop up menu locate and find the tool "Layout Box Layers". This opens the Layer Display Options used in that view.
  2. In the plan file, open the camera for the elevation view that will be sent to layout. At the top of the screen, select Tools /  Layer Settings / Display Options. This opens the Layer Display Options used in that view.

Explore and identify which Layer Set is being used for elevation views. Explore and identify which layers are being displayed and adjust their properties as you see fit.

For further assistance, you may want to consider some training time from an expert Chief user.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BruceKC said:

Thanks everyone.  I guess what I'm really asking is, is there a layer control that would allow me to change (for example), all foundation walls in elevation view to dashed lines with 18 line weight, roof ridges to heavy lineweight etc. rather than going in and using the "edit layout lines tool" and changing each line separately.  In other words I don't see a way to change things other than manually or setting the edge lines and pattern lines before sending.  I hope this makes sense?  I've included an elevation which shows what I want to do.

front only - 2.jpg

Downside to changing your foundation line type to dashed is that above grade they also show dashed.

 

But tried and true method is a white cad mask over the top of the foundation and trace over foundation with a dashed line works for many.

 

My preferred ultra fast version is to place a polyline cad mask over the below grade items and make the fill for it be a white colored angle hatch with no background.  It cuts the black lines and makes it all look like a dashed line.

 

image.thumb.png.b413847baad6064d92eaa3e2b68c89ed.png

 

Closer Look:

image.thumb.png.33c01b7f464dd1db681fd5cebabc73b0.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rgardner said:

My preferred ultra fast version is to place a polyline cad mask over the below grade items and make the fill for it be a white colored angle hatch with no background.  It cuts the black lines and makes it all look like a dashed line.

 

That's got to be on the ultra clever top ten list 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 6:32 PM, rgardner said:

Downside to changing your foundation line type to dashed is that above grade they also show dashed.

 

But tried and true method is a white cad mask over the top of the foundation and trace over foundation with a dashed line works for many.

 

My preferred ultra fast version is to place a polyline cad mask over the below grade items and make the fill for it be a white colored angle hatch with no background.  It cuts the black lines and makes it all look like a dashed line.

 

image.thumb.png.b413847baad6064d92eaa3e2b68c89ed.png

 

Closer Look:

image.thumb.png.33c01b7f464dd1db681fd5cebabc73b0.png

My preferred method. Just wish the shadows wouldn't show up under the terrain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Gr8trim4u said:

My preferred method. Just wish the shadows wouldn't show up under the terrain. 

Yes its unfortunate although there is a work around for that but takes some fussing.  2nd Elevation camera with shadows off.  Send both to layout after detailing out one and copy and pasting the cad work to the second one.  One with shadows gets cropped at grade one without shows below grade.  

 

Bit of a pain and work though and so I generally just live with shadows below grade or turn them off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

Yes its unfortunate although there is a work around for that but takes some fussing.  2nd Elevation camera with shadows off.  Send both to layout after detailing out one and copy and pasting the cad work to the second one.  One with shadows gets cropped at grade one without shows below grade.  

 

Bit of a pain and work though and so I generally just live with shadows below grade or turn them off.

Nice i do that for as builds vs new construction didn't even think of that for shadows 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    30206
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Chief_Matt
    Newest Member
    Chief_Matt
    Joined