dshall

This is interesting, anybody seen this?

I have not tried it.  they do it without a site visit.  My client got this and there was even floor plans of both floors.  Not sure how that was obtained,

6 minutes ago, dshall said:

My client got this and there was even floor plans of both floors.  Not sure how that was obtained,

From their website: 

"We don’t visit your home to make measurements, but you can provide us rough sketch and we can recreate your floor plan in PDF- digital version.
Please send us all of information you have for prepare your floor plan, and we will provide you quote."

11 minutes ago, dshall said:

I have not tried it.  they do it without a site visit.  My client got this and there was even floor plans of both floors.  Not sure how that was obtained,

Floor plans too? Seems like a bargain in real dollars and time invested. As builts anyone?

Site plan preparation is one of the things I hate to do.  I'll be using this service in the future.

Their Reviews are all positive.

4 hours ago, dshall said:

So, apparently they do it by guessing based on information provided by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. These drawings might be okay for starting a discussion with a client, but it would scare the heck out of me to design anything for a permit based on these non-educated guesses. The drawings have a very deceptive appearance of precision.

Personally, I would look at Magicplan.app, used with an iPad Pro (with LiDAR). You can scan a single room in under a minute with all door/window openings shown reasonably accurately. It draws everything in 3D and draws all this automatically for you with dimensions, from which you can then export a DXF file to import into Chief. If you want even more accuracy (which isn't that bad with LiDAR), you can use this in conjunction with a Bluetooth laser measuring device. AND take integrated photos with notes. 

The lot dimensions as drawn are very suspect .  We are getting site surveyed.  I am curious as to how accurate it is.  If this site matches surveyed site I will be very impressed.

26 minutes ago, dshall said:

The lot dimensions as drawn are very suspect .  We are getting site surveyed.  I am curious as to how accurate it is.  If this site matches surveyed site I will be very impressed.

Can't the "dimensions as drawn" be compared to an easily obtainable parcel map?

No,  the assessors plat is unreadable,  the original plot was 50x105,  it is a corner lot where they closed a portion of one street and the ROW was 60’ AFTER the closure,  some of the closure went to lot which increased the size but it was an easement with a subeasement in there and in 1961 some added a detached garage in ROW an d 3’ from curb with a pending remove garage out of ROW order and it is Thursday today....  so the answer is no,  I would like a survey or at least a civil engineer to interpret the written Minho jumbo that describes said lot.

it is La Jolla,  we can afford to do it right.

Looks like you need to update your signature, Scott. It says "Chief X-11 (alway the latest)". :lol:

11 hours ago, dshall said:

No,  the assessors plat is unreadable,  the original plot was 50x105,  it is a corner lot where they closed a portion of one street and the ROW was 60’ AFTER the closure,  some of the closure went to lot which increased the size but it was an easement with a subeasement in there and in 1961 some added a detached garage in ROW an d 3’ from curb with a pending remove garage out of ROW order and it is Thursday today....  so the answer is no,  I would like a survey or at least a civil engineer to interpret the written Minho jumbo that describes said lot.

it is La Jolla,  we can afford to do it right.

Wow, that's a story and should have figured you would have tried the easiest method first. Does sound like at least s survey is in order. Good luck.