Boogdaddy

Before I purchase, a question or two...

Quick Background on me: 35+ years of residential and light commercial design. I am old school in that I learned and have always done my work, from preliminary sketching through construction documents with pencils, pens, layover and vellum. My father was a very talented illustrator who moonlighted drawing house plans, so I've been around design my entire life. However, I have reached the point where I can not even purchase the tools and materials I use day-to-day anymore. There is not enough market for it so manufacturers of drafting equipment have literally just closed up shop. Coupled with my desire to get away from hand drafting, and here I am. I have spent the last several weeks researching which program will work best for me. I'm a one-man outfit, and I don't do as much work as I once did. I occasionally build my own designs, both for myself and for clients. I have already purchased hardware (iPad Pro and MacBook Pro). I have already started doing preliminary design on the iPad using Morpholio Trace and Procreate. I'm surprised with using the Apple Pencil how little my preliminary design has changed.

I am VERY particular how my drawings look. Will CA be customizable enough to satisfy my particular taste? Are things like how dimension lines and tick marks appear things that I can customize? I do not like how they look in the default mode. The arrows are a definite no for me. The super thin tick marks that are the same line weight as the dimension line are also a no. Can I go into CA after I get some training and time under my belt and change the way things are to make my drawings appear just slightly more like quality hand-drawn plans?

Have you experimented with the trial? 

2 minutes ago, Boogdaddy said:

I am VERY particular how my drawings look. Will CA be customizable enough to satisfy my particular taste?

Only you can answer that question.

There shouldn't be any problems getting close to or exactly what you want.

Why not post a pic of one of your hand drawn plans and someone here can probably tell you.

22 minutes ago, Boogdaddy said:

Are things like how dimension lines and tick marks appear things that I can customize? I do not like how they look in the default mode. The arrows are a definite no for me. The super thin tick marks that are the same line weight as the dimension line are also a no.

There are 49 choices of arrow styles for dimension lines which includes a blank style that you could always pencil in your own hand drawn style if you wanted to.

Why not download the a trial version and give it a try ?  The basics are really pretty straight forward.

Thanks for your responses. I've already downloaded the trial version. I have played with it a little bit, but I haven't had the time until now to focus on learning the program. Before I spent the $3K for the full version plus whatever I spend on a learning platform such as Chief Experts Academy, I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity as to whether it will do what I need it to do. I will try to scan a portion of a drawing or two tomorrow and upload. It sounds like if there are 49 choices of arrow styles, and if I can hand-draw a style I like and scan it in, I'll be fine. Since we're all in lockdown mode at home for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19, I figured it would be good to take advantage of the time and spend it learning some CAD/BIM.

2 minutes ago, Boogdaddy said:

It sounds like if there are 49 choices of arrow styles, and if I can hand-draw a style I like and scan it in, I'll be fine.

Sorry I did not mean to mislead you.  The choices are the choices.  You could use the blank arrow style and draw your own using cad on every single dimension line or print to paper and then use your hand drawing skills to add those custom details.

Even though there are a lot of choices we have been asking for the ability to customize but we are not there yet.

Take a look at the choices first though and you may find something that would be acceptable.

12 minutes ago, Boogdaddy said:

It sounds like if there are 49 choices of arrow styles

Double click the Dimension Tool, go to Arrow and have a look. Choose one and then dimension something.

11 hours ago, Boogdaddy said:

quality hand-drawn plans

This is entirely subjective. A great method for comparison would be for you to post something you've drawn. It'll give us a much better point of reference to see what you're looking for. The short answer to your questions though is YES. Chief is able to do more than you'll ever figure out. Many users have completely customized Chief and use none of the out-of-the-box settings. I've been using it for around 20 years (is that possible?)...and I'm still learning new things all the time.

Here is a scan of one of my plans. It's a crappy scan with lousy contrast done by Staples. Because I live on a ranch in rural Texas, Staples is the only place within an hour's drive that can run prints and make scans. I'm frustrated with their service, which is yet another reason I'm moving to CAD/BIM and will buy my own plotter.

I've now had a chance to look at the arrow styles in CA. I see one bold arrow/tick mark that is satisfactory to me, but I don't like how the dimension line stops at the arrow and doesn't extend through the arrow. Perhaps the dimension line issue is something I can customize in CA?

Stephan_FPB.pdf

I would say you will find an aesthetic you are content with for drawings in Chief, but it may involve some concessions.

You can turn your own lettering into a font here: https://www.calligraphr.com/en/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

You can turn your own lettering into a font here: https://www.calligraphr.com/en/

That's cool.  I hadn't seen that one before.  There are a few others out there, but they're not as robust at that.  Thanks for the link Kevin.

4 hours ago, Boogdaddy said:

Perhaps the dimension line issue is something I can customize in CA?

That sounds painful:wacko: Very nice work by the way! I can think of some fairly quick ways you could get the dimension lines to extend beyond the arrow. Obviously it'd be extra work. 

You could easily create a polyline around your building, then replicate it to where you want your dimensions to be. Then create a white box at each corner to cover those polylines leaving 4" showing beyond the building. That'd also give you a nice permanent guide to snap your dimension lines to. Probably easier ways...

I’ve got a YouTube channel with a lot of good lesson/how to videos.  Might give you some idea.  Click the link in my signature below...it’ll take you to my channel.  

Chief is an incredible piece of software and the Company listens to its users and adds great improvements to the software every year.  You will be happy if you purchase Chief.  

On 3/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, Boogdaddy said:

Will CA be customizable enough to satisfy my particular taste?

CA can get you there with one caveat - time! But that is with pretty much everything in life. I have used this software about 24 years and, like Robert, still learning. You can develop your own style with CA - the tools are there. Learning to use them to your advantage is where the time comes in. CA's training videos, this forum, CA's training, user videos like Steve mentioned will get you going, especially if you can devote some time up front to learn the basics and then concentrate on presentation style. Note: other users on this forum also offer training and training videos; just search the forums.

Nice drawings, BTW. :)