Rooms In Plan Will Not Open For Specification

firstimpression

When I click in any room on my 1st floor plan it highlights the entire plan instead of opening the room for specification.  I can select objects in the room but not the room.  However, the rooms on the 2nd floor are working fine.   Up until now all was working. This is a problem that just developed when I was adding dimensions to the plan. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

And whatever you do, please never ever post the plan.

We all like to just guess at what the problem is instead of actually helping. If you posted the plan then we would be able to help and we wouldn't want that would we?

Andy.

Until you figure out what wall connections are poor you can left-click where you want to select an object or specific room and then depress the "Tab Key" or "Next" button in the Edit Tool bar to select a specific object or room dialog. When you have straightened out your poor or incorrect wall connections that will end the unwanted behavior.

In X6 or Home Designer 2015 titles you should also get a "circle" icon on your cursor and at the exact poor wall connections which makes repairing such situations easier but if you have X5 or earlier you do not have this feature and then have to check all wall connections manually, one at a time until the situation is found and handled.

DJP

• Upvote 1

And whatever you do, please never ever post the plan.

We all like to just guess at what the problem is instead of actually helping. If you posted the plan then we would be able to help and we wouldn't want that would we?

Andy.

Andy Gump,  that might be Andy Grump.....  hey Andy,  I am Mister Grumpy,  please don't tread on my territory........   but thanks Andy for the help.

At the risk of being ostracized from the community for not giving a rats a$# if you post the plan or not...I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that your walls are not connected somewhere. Or you have for some reason chosen a wall type that is checked for no room definition. Do a little searching around the the first floor and you will find the offending wall corner that is causing the issue, or perhaps you added a wrap around porch and the exterior walls have become reversed. Not sure why these things happen, but they do.

• Upvote 1

At the risk of being ostracized from the community for not giving a rats a$# if you post the plan or not...I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that your walls are not connected somewhere. Or you have for some reason chosen a wall type that is checked for no room definition. Do a little searching around the the first floor and you will find the offending wall corner that is causing the issue, or perhaps you added a wrap around porch and the exterior walls have become reversed. Not sure why these things happen, but they do.

You might have guessed correctly, however there have been 9 posts and no answer...you might not give a rats @$$ but you have to admit if the plan were posted it may only take 1 "guess".

Half of the posts have been the usual rabble about posting the plan. I, however, along with Larry at least gave him a starting point. If there is no plan attached, move on so as to not become so offended.

We're actually just trying to be helpful Joey,  I've seen probably hundreds of posts that never get answered simply because the OP never posted the plan.  Its just a simple request. 

We're actually just trying to be helpful Joey,  I've seen probably hundreds of posts that never get answered simply because the OP never posted the plan.  Its just a simple request. 

I agree with this 100%.  Not only are we trying to help out the OP,  we are also trying to learn something.  Is it user error?  Is it a bug?  Is this an issue that we have never seen but a situation we can solve and learn from?

While it is great you may have given the OP a  place to start  (BTW, he stated a non defined room was  was not the case),    I think we have all seen threads that go on and on,  and since some of us monitor all posts,  it becomes more of a burden for us. 

I don't know what the answer is...... maybe the answer is to simply ignore any posts that do not come with a plan.......  and while this is a viable approach,  it really helps no one.

So I have decided to suffer through these posts that go on and on in the hopes that one day the world will be at peace,  we will have no more wars,  no more famine and no more questions without plans attached.

I used to (kindly) scream at this kid in the studio where I worked. He spoke girl. He just strung words together in sentences with no subjects. I would slam down my fist on the desk "I need NOUNS": Kinda the same way with the plan files but no one can hear my fist. I was going to throw out the reversed wall guess earlier but I was on a deadline and I am a fan of the peanut gallery. How about that thread with the electrical item hack. That is some good stuff.

• Downvote 1

And if I can say one more thing at the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me, I have learned more from solving newbies questions than I have learned from power users. It's just that it sometimes takes a little bit more of an effort to extract the information needed to actually learn something new.

How about them Cowboys? And how about them Chargers...... I sure am glad I don't live in Alaska where they don't even have a team....... Or LA for that matter........ Sorry P.

I used to (kindly) scream at this kid in the studio where I worked. He spoke girl. He just strung words together in sentences with no subjects. I would slam down my fist on the desk "I need NOUNS": Kinda the same way with the plan files but no one can hear my fist. I was going to throw out the reversed wall guess earlier but I was on a deadline and I am a fan of the peanut gallery. How about that thread with the electrical item hack. That is some good stuff.

I just love to hear what Mumbles has to say, thanks Alan for the levity.

I had a similar thing happen. When I clicked the plan the entire screen highlighted. It was an image i was selecting. The image didn't appear in my view because it had become disassociated from the file, but the object was still there and selectable. When the whole screen highlights, hit CTRL-E and see if a dbx pops up.

@1st Impression, sometimes when making a selection with the mouse you get something else that is in close proximity and has a higher selection priority. You can click then hit the tab key to scroll through the items that the mouse has clicked over. Also, this could be an issue of how your preferences are set regarding whether you select the room first or not.