dskogg

panoramic background picture orientation change?

Recommended Posts

Is there a way of changing what the location of the background picture shows on a interior shot looking out?

Here is an example picture with a full 360 deg view...

Floor 6 Day small.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I should just rotate plan until the view I want is achieved?

 

you would think ca would have a adjustment on the backdrop?

 

david Skogg  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read post, I will try setting angle past 360 and see if it rotates image.

 

in pbr view the background is very bright.. any thoughts on how to make this better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I read post, I will try setting angle past 360 and see if it rotates image.

 

in pbr view the background is very bright.. any thoughts on how to make this better?

 

If you still have it at .68 exposure ( same plan as PBR door issue ?)  try 1/2 that   I normally use .3 to .4 and then adjust brightness if needed.

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

 

If you still have it at .68 exposure ( same plan as PBR door issue ?)  try 1/2 that   I normally use .3 to .4 and then adjust brightness if needed.

 

M.

I tried adding extra degrees to pano...in order to get the right view it duplicates some of the picture so then it is distorted..you would think adding say 90 degrees would rotate background 90 deg but it doesn't...I guess the only way is to rotate plan and make sure a levels are rotated exactly the same.

 

I had the sun set to light the pano instead of coming into room..this is why the pano was washed out...looks better now..but still distorted.

tn4 pano set at 850 degrees.jpg

tn4 with sun set at 330.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use "billboards" placed outside of windows for interior shots-bit of a PIA but more control. No color bleed in PBR though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m with Mark and feel like billboards are typically the way to go.  Here's another option in that regard.  The specifics are a little involved and I only have a couple minutes, but just make your own panoramic billboard backdrop.  Here are the key points:

  • You'll need to know the height to width ratio of your panoramic image. 
  • Start with a cylinder, circular polyline solid, or whatever and create object to surround your building. 
  • Do the math to make sure the circumference and height match the aspect ratio of your image. 
  • Create a material using your panoramic image set to Stretch To Fit and use it to paint the panoramic billboard object you've created.
  • In order to make the image location on the object stable (in order to get a fully controllable orientation/rotation), you'll need to remove a sliver of your circular object so that there's a break in the perimeter.  In other words, its like a chain link and not like a wedding ring.  Just make that break super super small, put it at a location that will not likely be seen much, and it shouldn't hardly be noticeable.
  • You should be able to set the orientation by simply rotating the object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I’m with Mark and feel like billboards are typically the way to go.  Here's another option in that regard.  The specifics are a little involved and I only have a couple minutes, but just make your own panoramic billboard backdrop.  Here are the key points:

  • You'll need to know the height to width ratio of your panoramic image. 
  • Start with a cylinder, circular polyline solid, or whatever and create object to surround your building. 
  • Do the math to make sure the circumference and height match the aspect ratio of your image. 
  • Create a material using your panoramic image set to Stretch To Fit and use it to paint the panoramic billboard object you've created.
  • In order to make the image location on the object stable (in order to get a fully controllable orientation/rotation), you'll need to remove a sliver of your circular object so that there's a break in the perimeter.  In other words, its like a chain link and not like a wedding ring.  Just make that break super super small, put it at a location that will not likely be seen much, and it shouldn't hardly be noticeable.
  • You should be able to set the orientation by simply rotating the object.

Thanks Michael.. I will try it out.. your instructions make sense.. cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking there might be another solution but i am not very good at photoshop type manipulation, i have gimp for photo software...

What about cutting the pano and rearranging the cut piece to one side or the other so the view you want would be where it needs to be?

Does this make sense?

 

I need some help showing how to do this..if anyone has some time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dskogg said:

What about cutting the pano and rearranging the cut piece to one side or the other so the view you want would be where it needs to be?

Does this make sense?

That's how I use billboards. An image across a window or two, three... at most one leg of a building (but rarely) If there is a deck often need a different one beyond the deck.
I don't have Gimp loaded but (might get xNview MP-free) most often just click and drag a box then select crop OR select crop and click and drag a box-then save as, undo repeat on another area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should mention that billboards are also good for interior reno/addition where other rooms are nicely done to begin with.. Take a shot at the door way to other room, place billboard outside doorway (or pass through...) Eliminates the need to detail spaces where no work is being done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dskogg said:

I was thinking there might be another solution but i am not very good at photoshop type manipulation, i have gimp for photo software...

What about cutting the pano and rearranging the cut piece to one side or the other so the view you want would be where it needs to be?

Does this make sense?

 

I need some help showing how to do this..if anyone has some time.

 

 


This is a valid option and the typical way I would recommend doing it when you have multiple images, but if you have a true panoramic image, I’m not sure there would be any benefit.  It would take longer, require positioning multiple pieces, and would result in a whole bunch of visual seams that would need to be deliberately avoided with the camera.  The panoramic “billboard” would be a single object, position once, and for all intents and purposes...no seams.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

result in a whole bunch of visual seams that would need to be deliberately avoided with the camera.

I use billboards wider than the window(s) and slam them right up to it, as noted sometimes with decks they are on separate layer. In any case never have seams to deal with. Would breaking it be slower-dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this case, which includes a single window that looks like it could be created with a fixed window and custom muntins, you can use a material for the glass whose texture is created using your (cropped) picture.

 

 

250727459_tn4withsunsetat330.thumb.jpg.f018f8d1dc5ce470a717013ae4c4efce.jpg

 

 

New Image_38.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dskogg said:

I was thinking there might be another solution but i am not very good at photoshop type manipulation, i have gimp for photo software...

What about cutting the pano and rearranging the cut piece to one side or the other so the view you want would be where it needs to be?

Does this make sense?

 

I need some help showing how to do this..if anyone has some time.

 

 

If you have Gimp then you could edit your pano so there's a new seam location which will be correctly oriented to your model at 0 degrees.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27369
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    Outlawridge
    Newest Member
    Outlawridge
    Joined