3 piece bath under stairs

DianeP

Just reaching because I love the ideas I hear on this forum  I have a client that wants a 2 story house with each level at 12'.  I have a U- shaped stairway with unequal lengths with lots of space underneath.  We are thinking about putting a sink, toilet and shower into this space.  Question I have  is how can I close in the gap between the two flights of stairs so that folks on the stairs can't see into the bathroom?  Does anyone see any other reason why this couldn't be done?

image.thumb.png.d639b54d4e49088fa6ef9f896c754681.pngimage.thumb.png.0eb5654bde507a8e59f5337ca7f2e79f.pngimage.thumb.png.643206d110f69b632a32dfcc9d4a7a60.png

1 hour ago, DianeP said:

Just reaching because I love the ideas I hear on this forum  I have a client that wants a 2 story house with each level at 12'.  I have a U- shaped stairway with unequal lengths with lots of space underneath.  We are thinking about putting a sink, toilet and shower into this space.  Question I have  is how can I close in the gap between the two flights of stairs so that folks on the stairs can't see into the bathroom?  Does anyone see any other reason why this couldn't be done?

image.thumb.png.d639b54d4e49088fa6ef9f896c754681.pngimage.thumb.png.0eb5654bde507a8e59f5337ca7f2e79f.pngimage.thumb.png.643206d110f69b632a32dfcc9d4a7a60.png

ITRW there would be a 2x4 Wall ,supporting the Stair Framing , whether it goes higher and is the handrail (solid) too is upto you....

M.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

ITRW there would be a 2x4 Wall ,supporting the Stair Framing , whether it goes higher and is the handrail (solid) too is upto you....

M.

Would the 2x4 wall have to go the whole distance to the landing?  I need to have it stop about 20" from the landing so there is room to maneuver around the cabinets to get to the toilet.

39 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Would the 2x4 wall have to go the whole distance to the landing?  I need to have it stop about 20" from the landing so there is room to maneuver around the cabinets to get to the toilet.

I think it will fine with it upto the wall i see, it will cantilever that far but I don't think you have enough headroom/room in there , the Landing will need to be 2x8 or 2x10 to carry the upper staircase , and I only see 6'10" in there now...... try it 1 tread  and 1 riser less for the lower flight BUT keep the Landing the same height and the bottom of the stair in the same place , that should give you more headroom as the landing will be wider by 1 tread depth and the stair will be a little steeper too.

M.

7 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I think it will fine with it upto the wall i see, it will cantilever that far but I don't think you have enough headroom/room in there , the Landing will need to be 2x8 or 2x10 to carry the upper staircase , and I only see 6'10" in there now...... try it 1 tread  and 1 riser less for the lower flight BUT keep the Landing the same height and the bottom of the stair in the same place , that should give you more headroom as the landing will be wider by 1 tread depth and the stair will be a little steeper too.

M.

So glad you mentioned this.  I think I did what you were saying to do but the stair flights have different height risers.  Okay?

image.thumb.png.1ced478157bfe0d88694390f9d1a4cde.pngimage.thumb.png.188660e598b967c5f01a93263d61282e.png 

image.png

8 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

M.

15 minutes ago, DianeP said:

So glad you mentioned this.  I think I did what you were saying to do but the stair flights have different height risers.  Okay?

image.thumb.png.1ced478157bfe0d88694390f9d1a4cde.pngimage.thumb.png.188660e598b967c5f01a93263d61282e.png 

image.png

Oh this is wrong because it changed the height of the landing and brought it in off the wall.  How can I keep the landing at its original height and the beginning of the stair in its original spot and have it join the landing without moving it?  does the landing jog over one tread width?

image.thumb.png.e41bcb334cdef742a8f68201132d72d5.pngimage.thumb.png.0774de0b4b588380fcd405cd43aead35.png

1 hour ago, DianeP said:

Here is the current plan.  Need to find a way to simplify the roof system, but that may be a different post.  

Post_residence_expanded.plan

7 1/2 Risers seem to work , I have left a few Notes in the Plan too.... eg about the linen Closet and Shower.

image.thumb.png.93027569c3727d25c86713b2b09e3da2.png

As for the "GAP"....... you hadn't pulled the wall to the Landing and then Shaped it to the Stairs in an Elevation View so it was missing totally...

image.thumb.png.b48963c4ea0f8d6d0fac18d755408701.png

Ahhhhhhh CRAP !  you didn't tell me you were using X10..... That's why your Signature is important ...so this plan is no good to you....

image.thumb.png.8706e54a5b24a992854eca647c73c14e.png

MHD_Post_residence_expanded.plan

4 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Sorry,  I have x 11 so I can open.   I do need to fix my signature.  is that under my profile. Thanks!!!

Diane, select your profile, drop menu opens select settings, drop down opens on lower left of page select signature, and fill it out from there.

1 hour ago, DianeP said:

Sorry,  I have x 11 so I can open.   I do need to fix my signature.  is that under my profile. Thanks!!!

It seems the Plan wasn't done in X11 , but if you have it that is great....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you see Signatures? mine has the how too on doing yours....

just in case here it is....

*** to fill in your Signature like this .... go up to the top RH Corner above and click on your UserName> Account Settings> Signature.... and enable Signature (will Turn Green) then add your Hardware Details and Chief Software Version, as different Version require different Answers.

M.

I would add a note to the plan that all fixtures require minimum of 80" ceiling height.  You can design it all to perfection but one confused carpenter can quickly make the whole idea non code compliant.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DianeP said:

Signature done!  I think.

Yep D. it is there now......

Have you and you Client considered perhaps swapping the Closet and Bathrooms around , so the Bathroom is more spacious?

something like this perhaps? still not ideal over Vanity but ok ...

image.thumb.png.74d35e79ffea539c7d2b2b934d5ffa3a.png

18 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Yep D. it is there now......

Have you and you Client considered perhaps swapping the Closet and Bathrooms around , so the Bathroom is more spacious?

something like this perhaps? still not ideal over Vanity but ok ...

image.thumb.png.74d35e79ffea539c7d2b2b934d5ffa3a.png

Great idea!  I will show them this option.

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

just curious 

does the headroom height have to be for the entire toilet or just where you stand in front 

same question with the sink ?

at what point can the ceiling start to slope ?

Lew

I would like to know more on this too.  I thought if I had 80" in height in front of the toilet I was good to go.  The slope would only get higher at that point.  I found this online that gives some explanation:  Kbird1 said the landing would need  2x8 or 2x10 to carry the second flight of stairs.  I have the landing at 8 1/2". Is this what I would change to 10 1/2" to show the 2x10?

image.thumb.png.2ea670ae90c91cbfca7bd1dc59b9472d.pngimage.thumb.png.8f104f7a0c192e909adb67647c80f38d.pngimage.thumb.png.c294f7495807566ffcec24e2859ba98f.png

Edited by DianeP
added info about the landing

On 4/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Kbird1 said:

7 1/2 Risers seem to work , I have left a few Notes in the Plan too.... eg about the linen Closet and Shower.

image.thumb.png.93027569c3727d25c86713b2b09e3da2.png

As for the "GAP"....... you hadn't pulled the wall to the Landing and then Shaped it to the Stairs in an Elevation View so it was missing totally...

image.thumb.png.b48963c4ea0f8d6d0fac18d755408701.png

Ahhhhhhh CRAP !  you didn't tell me you were using X10..... That's why your Signature is important ...so this plan is no good to you....

image.thumb.png.8706e54a5b24a992854eca647c73c14e.png

MHD_Post_residence_expanded.plan

Mick,  does the wall at the stair side of the landing have to be there? It is between the door and the vanity.  Also, on x11 I can't get the transparency of the fill on the landing to adjust on my computer.  Are you able to adjust it on yours? lastly, I am tryng to make your changes in x10 since I couldn't get teh fill to change on the landing.  I can't get my wall to break.  I click on the break tool and then click on the edge of the wall where I want to break it, but the wall doesn't break into sections where it can be edited.  Have you ever run across this before and if so what is the fix?

1 hour ago, DianeP said:

I have the landing at 8 1/2". Is this what I would change to 10 1/2" to show the 2x10?

This is an Automatic setting and is made to work with the angle of the stair , not common framing lumber sizes , that is the total depth too, not just the Framing so includes the Hardwood, plywood, framing and Drywall etc. ,it appears to be approx. a 2x6 to me but I didn't measure it , so I suggested 2x8 or 2x10 as that is how I would build it  in the field as the landing is supporting the upper staircase and it's weight, ie that would be a double joist/beam.