Layer Selection

scout1

I have recreated the problem if I modify the annotations on a saved plan view and hit save I seem to be able 

to select all kinds of objects on the plan view that are locked or unchecked for that  view. when I exit that saved plan 

view and come back to that same view the ability to select unwanted objects has gone away. 

It would seem that you are now using X10 and you signature needs to be updated.  It would be great if you could record that sequencing and send it in to tech support.

How do you know where to select an item on an unchecked layer or is it just that you are clicking in an area that an item would be if it was turned on ?

correct i have drawn in a lot of objects such as grass, fences, septic, lines, etc and you are correct I am clicking around an object

that I would like to highlight and larger objects that are turned off highlight thanks. 

This happened to me yesterday after I imported anno sets into a legacy plan.  I had to shut down Chief and reopen to stop the behavior.

I find myself having to close out of X10 to correct bad behavior more than in past versions.  

I have a support ticket in on this (with NIgel). Was happening really bad on latest update. Had to do a restore for a printer issue and prior version has been much better. Since I'm slammed right now I dropped trying to document it all for now and staying with that version. Though I just had it select unseen rooms last night. These are all from X10 templates.

One thing I found when trying to document it is that it tends to go away after an undo? it also takes a while to show up in a plan.

Send it in to tech support please.

I too have this issue in X10. It usually happens when I remove the display of a bunch of layers, then suddenly my mouse will pickup all kinds of hidden layers...

My quick solution is switch to a different "Plan View", then when prompted "would like to save the current Plan View", select "Save", then just switch back to the "Plan View" you were working on previously. Something about this quick change in views resets the displayed layers and everything works as it should until you go changing a bunch of layers again. I probably do this a few times through out the day but it is pretty fast. I also imagine that this might work with annotation sets for those not using plan views...try switching to a different annotation set and then back again to reset your layers.

I hope they fix this issue soon.

I have recreated the problem if I modify the annotations on a saved plan view and hit save I seem to be able 

to select all kinds of objects on the plan view that are locked or unchecked for that view

Please report this problem directly to our tech support department.  Please include the plan and the EXACT steps you are using to reproduce the problem.  The above information is not enough to help us diagnose this issue. 

The only bug that I am currently aware of is that you can still select windows and doors when the wall layer is turned off and the window and door layers are still turned on.  From the above comments, it sounds like this is a very different issue but so far we have been unable to reproduce this problem.  Without more detailed information we might not be able to do anything about this.

It's important to note that if you mess with the Layer Settings it will no longer be in sync with the "Saved Plan View". 

1. If you want those Layer Settings to be permanent with that view then "Save the Plan View"
  2. If not then just selecting the "Saved Plan View" from the "Project Browser" will revert to the previous.

Typically, I have the Annoset select the Layer Set.  Opening or switching to the "Saved Plan View" from the "Project Browser" forces those to be reset. 

Note that if you make any changes to the Layer Set or Defaults while a "Saved Plan View" is active the Tool Bar will indicate "Using Active Defaults".

That's the clue that somethings not the same.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It's important to note that if you mess with the Layer Settings it will no longer be in sync with the "Saved Plan View". 

I don't think that is the issue I'm seeing. I'm not changing plan views, what I am seeing is that "eventually" I can select layers that are hidden and a couple of time hidden AND locked. I'm using the ALDO to change the layers. It doesn't happen immediately and until last night it had not happened at all when I ended up back a release.

For the first time it happened in the prior release last night. Opened plan and two more plan views from the browser. It was selecting rooms in an area of a plan where all everything was hidden -in an already saved plan view and annoset- had not changed any layer settings. That's also the first time it happened that quickly.

I've been unable to document it. It almost never happens immediately, always waits till some time into a plan, one to three hours depending on what I'm doing. Using undo to go back to see what caused it fixes it and then it does not happen when you redo!! The more active I need to be with changing layers, new plan views, etc-the faster it happens but never in anything like "10 minutes we can reproduce it" The only way I can think of is to run a screen recorder constantly. Maybe next week but too busy to deal with it (cost a lot of time) so won't re-install the latest update until things quiet down, it becomes persistent with this release, or gets fixed. I've also tried to isolate it by eliminating any other programs without success.

The door selection issue Dermot mentions was from plan noted above and sent in a few weeks ago (earlier thread on here). I was surprised they could reproduce that only and not any of the rest. I had it selecting all sorts of things in saved plan views.

This behavior is happening to me too.  I can't, for the life of me, figure out what's causing it, as I'm moving from view to view all the time.  But, as Joe said, it's probably good practise to save the view before moving on to another