Help - Is Intel HD Graphics 620 enough for X9?

Tristan89

I am looking at purchasing a new laptop with the specifications as attached/below, is this enough to run X9?

Microprocessor
Intel Core i7-7500U (2.7 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)

Memory
Standard  16 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 620

Storage
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKHNB15133I/HP-Remanufacture-Envy-15-as133cl-Entertainment-Not

Specs.PNG

That I7-7500U/HD 620 combo is getting old, and it doesn't have any dedicated memory or solid state cache, though the Envy does have plenty of main RAM for it to scavenge. Chief would run, but if you do a lot of work in 3D views I would expect the performance to be below average. It's also got a slow HDD. I'd spend my $1400 on a gaming laptop with dedicated memory and an SDD, or at least a 7200RPM HDD - there are plenty of open box and refurbished machines available from NewEgg, Tiger, Amazon, etc. If you're an HP fan, you can buy a new gaming Omen laptop (from HP) with an I7-7700HQ with 6MB cache, nVidia 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5, 16GB DDR4, and a 1TB 7200 HDD with a 512GB PCIe SDD - altogether a much better option for $1460, brand new.

I doubt that it is

always get a dedicated video card to run Chief

preferably Nvidia

with a dedicated video card you can also upgrade in the future if needed ( usually)

get at least 8 GB ram on video card - preferably 16 GB or more

Lew

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

with a dedicated video card you can also upgrade in the future if needed ( usually)

Lew

He's looking at a laptop - much more difficult to swap or upgrade GPUs. Any laptop with a 16GB GPU is going to be more than twice the OP's presumed budget.

Fair number of gaming laptops with 900 series had desktop GPU and even some of the mobile ones are upgrade-able , mine is BUT they are not upgradeable to the newer Pascal chips so no point.

Far more laptops with Pascal GPUs are up-gradeable- no telling it the next generation will be compatible though.

Graham:

it is possible to upgrade a laptop's video card

it was probably easier a decade ago when they were bigger and heavier

but it is still possible

Those links indicate that most laptops are not designed to provide upgradable GPUs after purchase. Yes there may be some methods to do it but not likely worth it and certainly not for the average user. 

23 hours ago, lbuttery said:

21 hours ago, rlackore said:

He's looking at a laptop - much more difficult to swap or upgrade GPUs. Any laptop with a 16GB GPU is going to be more than twice the OP's presumed budget.

it is possible to upgrade a laptop's video card

There are no GPUs currently on the market running 16GB VRAM, "8GB - 16GB RAM" would be referring to system memory.  At this time the NVidia GeForce 10-series is the top of the line card, for laptops specifically its the GTX 1080, running 8GB GDDR5.  For desktops it is the GTX 1080 Ti running a (rather unusual) 11GB GDDR5X.

Regarding upgrading the GPU of your laptop: while there are a few very specific models of high-end gaming laptop where this is a possibility, for the most part the GPU is absolutely NOT an upgradable component for most laptops, and you would not expect such a thing from a laptop running an integrated Intel chipset.  If you are shopping specifically for a laptop that has this capability, please do your research and set your expectations accordingly, otherwise it is best to operate under the assumption that, as a Laptop, the only upgradable components will be Memory and Storage, period.

To directly answer Tristan89's initial question though, we support Intel chipsets Generation 4 and later; the Intel 620 is a 7th generation chipset and should be fine.  Please see https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03076/using-chief-architect-with-intel-integrated-graphics-controllers.html for specific information regarding running Chief Architect.

Taylor B.

Chief Architect Technical Support

4 minutes ago, taylorb said:

There are no GPUs currently on the market running 16GB VRAM, "8GB - 16GB RAM" would be referring to system memory.  At this time the NVidia GeForce 10-series is the top of the line card, for laptops specifically its the GTX 1080, running 8GB GDDR5.

Taylor B.

Chief Architect Technical Support

Yep, but if budget isn't a problem you can get a rig with dual 1080's and SLI:

acer.thumb.PNG.dd5e18ea73c5d67e5b9ab538000f739c.PNG

...just sayin'

21 minutes ago, taylorb said:

If you are shopping specifically for a laptop that has this capability, please do your research and set your expectations accordingly, otherwise it is best to operate under the assumption that, as a Laptop, the only upgradable components will be Memory and Storage, period.

I'd add that I think upgradeable GPU is just a sales buzzword. While mine is, that had nothing to do with my purchase. Since Pascal chips hit many more laptops  (gaming) tout upgradable. Thing is will the next generation socket match, will the MOBO be compatible.  Or the generation after that.? Even though we now see many more with desktop GPUs they still plug into the MOBO not a slot. 

I guess I'm remembering days long ago when laptops have full-size slots for video cards

and could be swapped out

my current laptop was purchased in 2008

assuming the video card can't be upgraded

it is important to focus on getting the best one you can afford

same with screen size and resolution

spend $$ on items that can't be upgraded later

Lew

11 hours ago, taylorb said:

Thank you Taylor for setting us all straight, but since we are on the subject there is a Titan Xp model by NVidia that is 12 GB GDDRX5 and not that I am recommending it because my 1070 seems to be more than adequate but if you have $2400.00 you can order a limit of two of these: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-xp/