Gable ends missing

MBagshaw

...And I am still trying to understand why all of this doesn't happen automatically. I can see that the attic walls in any videos I've watched about gable/shed walls generate automatically, and when I create a simple four wall floorplan from scratch in a new plan and make two of the walls gable walls, the attic walls above the main gable walls generate automatically as well. So why am I having to do all of this manually on the plan I'm working on?

This is the main question I believe and I come across this behavior ALL the time. There is NO reason Chief should not be building the walls exactly as you should expect Mark. I opened the plan and could find no reason the attic walls weren't building and yet they weren't. Would really like to know what makes this plan unique.

Place a roof and attic walls should fill the void unless they are turned off and in this plan they are not.

All of the above advice is good to fix something you shouldn't have to fix. This IMO is Chief behaving VERY badly.

I thought you were in pretty good hands here so I wasn't chiming in, but curiosity got the better of me after I read Larry's response so I decided to take a look at your plan.  I actually spent quite a bit of time with it and I can't seem to figure out why its misbehaving either.  Its very strange and I think you should report it to tech support.  I can tell you this...All I have to do to fix the attic walls is open them (easiest to just go to attic floor and group select in plan view), click okay, and then click yes at the prompt and all is well. 

One other interesting side note that might help tech support figure out what's going on.  If you delete the roof, there are still some very persisitent attic walls that stick around for some reason.  They're nearly impossible to delete. Seems very buggy to me.

I looked at the plan and it took me 5 min. to fix, their were several things, like you had all your walls marked to hang off stem wall but you have a mono slab. Those walls should be marked balloon above ceiling b/c they are block walls. You also had headers checked for openings when they should not have wood headers, you will need to detail the steel reinforcement for those. A few other things. Your file size of 70mb was suspicious. I removed the furniture and wood headers and got it down to 30mb. now it works better

fixed plan.zip

I looked at the plan and it took me 5 min. to fix, their were several things, like you had all your walls marked to hang off stem wall but you have a mono slab. Those walls should be marked balloon above ceiling b/c they are block walls. You also had headers checked for openings when they should not have wood headers, you will need to detail the steel reinforcement for those. A few other things. Your file size of 70mb was suspicious. I removed the furniture and wood headers and got it down to 30mb. now it works better

All design flaws and general construction critiques aside, it only takes a matter of seconds to seemingly "fix" the issue at hand but the plan is still broken.  Even in your fixed plan look what happens when you build a wood structure off to the side and automatically build the roof...

post-46-0-45570400-1467478097_thumb.jpg

Please send your plan in to tech support Mark.

For me the issue is - why does it need to be 'fixed'? Shouldn't Chief handle that simple construction with ease, by default? And 5 minutes in my opinion is way to long to spend fixing a plan that should need no 'fixing'. Also Perry please remember that the fact it took you 5 minutes to fix is 5 minutes too long for a novice who doesn't know all the nooks and crannies of CA.

I can also open any blank plan, like the OP stated, and have the attic walls build properly, (except when they don't in my experience) but not in this plan.

As easy as it might be for some CA experts to 'fix' I think there's something else going on.

I would also send it in and find out why the attic walls just aren't building as one would expect - without the help of CA experts.

All design flaws and general construction critiques aside, it only takes a matter of seconds to seemingly "fix" the issue at hand but the plan is still broken.  Even in your fixed plan look what happens when you build a wood structure off to the side and automatically build the roof...

attachicon.gifRoof.jpg

Please send your plan in to tech support Mark.

Yeah there's something hinky with that plan. Would love to know what's up.

Larry, there were some bad settings in there, I think it's user error and not Chief's and I just don't have that error

Do you look at the pic I posted? That was an auto roof in your supposedly fixed plan. I'm usually the guy claiming its user error and that there's no problem when done properly but I'm pretty certain you are mistaken and that this plan is buggy.

Michael it's all in the settings. There are a Lot of other things that will cause the problems you say. I fixed what he wanted about the attic walls. That's all. I assume he would ask if there was something else. Why are you complaining about some helping him out, b/c it not your answer?. You should rise above that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree Michael. Made a copy of it and tried autobuild roofs to see what would happen. Got roof rafters showing in default set with the layer not even turned on. Copied walls to my new metric template and no issues with roof whatsoever. Gremlins lol

Michael it's all in the settings. There are a Lot of other things that will cause the problems you say. I fixed what he wanted about the attic walls. That's all. I assume he would ask if there was something else. Why are you complaining about some helping him out, b/c it not your answer?. You should rise above that.

Sorry Perry, I think you're wrong and that you're giving bad advice this time.  You're claiming something is fixed when its not and therefore the underlying issue will never get addressed.  The last thing I want is bugs hanging around because a user is told that the problem is in the settings when its not.  Granted his settings may not be right, but they're not the cause of this particular issue.  Not sure you actually read my earlier response or not, but all you essentially have to do is open and close the attic wall dbx and the problem goes away as well.  Also note what happens with auto roofs and what happens with attic walls when you delete the roof. 

Regardless of how it can be fixed, I believe there is definitely something wrong with that plan and it should be sent in to tech support. 

Perry, your help and expertise are always welcome but I think you are missing something in this particular case. We may never know what the deal is and my expertise is many times lacking but I too feel there's something amiss with that plan.

Like I said maybe we'll never know and maybe you're right but maybe, just maybe, you're not and claiming Michael should rise above his observations because he may have an ulterior motive is not that cool IMO.

Really too much time on this plan. Perry, I think you have some good points but it seems like the plan is behaving a bit strange. I tried the balloon through ceiling above setting and it works sometimes, on some walls, but the bigger point what if you have wood framed walls (in the same plan) and you don't want the framing to balloon through? The attic walls still don't generate by themselves and I can't figure out why.

It's time for a swim at my neighbors and some BBQ so hopefully the OP gets it figure out.

As far as I can tell, the thing that is stopping those attic walls from building correctly is that they are designated as "Hang Floor Platform Above On Wall".

Make sure Auto Build Attic Walls is toggled on.

Select the offending attic walls and uncheck "Hang Floor Platform Above On Wall". 

The attic walls will build correctly.

I can't image how this setting was caused by Chief, so I am assuming it was set by the user.

In fact, a lot of your walls on level 1 and the attic have this setting checked.

I would go through and uncheck this for ALL you walls.

One other weird thin that is happening is when I double click those offending walls, the wall dbx does not open.

I have to open the wall dbx by going to the Edit toolbar and Open Object. 

As far as I can tell, the thing that is stopping those attic walls from building correctly is that they are designated as "Hang Floor Platform Above On Wall".

Make sure Auto Build Attic Walls is toggled on.

Select the offending attic walls and uncheck "Hang Floor Platform Above On Wall". 

The attic walls will build correctly.

I can't image how this setting was caused by Chief, so I am assuming it was set by the user.

In fact, a lot of your walls on level 1 and the attic have this setting checked.

I would go through and uncheck this for ALL you walls.

One other weird thin that is happening is when I double click those offending walls, the wall dbx does not open.

I have to open the wall dbx by going to the Edit toolbar and Open Object. 

There's actually a lot more weird things than that going on with that plan.  I noticed that setting as well, but the thing is you can get the attic walls to build correctly even with that setting. I don't recall the exact situation where this happened, but in addition to the faulty attic walls, the persistent attic walls, and the behaviors you, Jerry, and some of the others mentioned,  I had dbx's that were responding incorrectly as well.

Did you try building a normal structure with normal wall settings and then auto building the roof?  Also, try copying and pasting that plan to a blank plan and visa versa.  Very strange things indeed. 

Oh ya, in my experiments, one other thing that fixed the roofs for me in at least one instance (don't remember if it was the existing roof or the one I added)...using Edit Area and rotating the plan. 

Larry, Hope you enjoyed your swim and BBQ and just so that you can sleep well tonight the one thing that you missed in your video or forgot when the spotlight was on.

The walls that would not regenerate for you in the video will if you select "default wall top height" before closing the DBX. This works for me with the existing attic walls or the main floor walls when "high shed/gable wall" is selected and I did not mess with "hang floor platform above on wall" although that seemed strange to me for a single story house.

I think this one should go into tech support regardless of the arguments. I have a plan file for a 14 unit apartment building on my computer and it is nowhere near 70.6 MB. There has got to be something up with that alone.

My 2-cents (probably not even worth that) is the OP made manual changes to the walls AND the attic walls...nearly all of them.  Add to that some of the conflicted settings (including room/floor settings) and you have yourself a mess.  Michael's approach works since its rebuilding those walls that where manually played with by OP.

I didn't figure it all out but this doesn't look correct either -

post-75-0-41723200-1467514586_thumb.jpg

Michael

That's why I said the file size was suspicious  and I managed to reduce it from 70mb to 30 mb which is still to large for that plan. I still say its user error and something isn't right, somewhere, found some of it quickly It's really good advise ,not bad , you'll see. Since he was new to X8 maybe he brought it  forward from X7, I don't know, most of these kinds of things are just user error. You shouldn't put down any help from anyone here, because you really don't know either or you would have the answer.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Having a similar issue on the attached plan. I created the vaulted ceiling planes in the LR and they show up fine, but the gable end walls are missing and I am looking into the sky.  In the LR DBX | Structure | CEILING...  X= Checked O=Blank

X - Roof over the room

O - Ceiling over this room

O - Use Soffit Surface for Ceiling

I can see the custom Ceiling Planes fine but no end walls. If I check Ceiling over Room then I get a flat ceiling. I think I have checked all and now loosing my hair with CAX8. Can someone help me see the forest for the trees here. Thanks.

Missing Gable Walls in Living room.zip