Materials List

builtright3

In offering a very good solution (thank you David) I think David may have also inadvertently pointed out the problem.  It looks like the Calculate Materials For Room tool is simply using the room polyline as a Materials List Polyline and that default polyline only extends to the interior surface of drywall.  If you want the drywall from the room's walls included in a material list then it must be completely enveloped by the polyline.

Michael I just tested this out with "material list polyline" and it only gives ceiling wall board. Polyline covers the wall surface drywall completley. You must include the main framing layer in polyline for it to give you wallboard for walls. Is this result you get?

Michael I just tested this out with "material list polyline" and it only gives ceiling wall board. Polyline covers the wall surface drywall completley. You must include the main framing layer in polyline for it to give you wallboard for walls. Is this result you get?

Didn't realize it before but I guess you're partially correct.  I just tested again and it looks like you have to be at least past the midpoint of the wall to get the drywall to calculate. 

Hmmm, there should be an option to include the walls

when doing a single room

that would make common sense ....

Lew

There IS a way...

1.  Make Room Polyline

2.  Hold down C (concentric edit mode) and resize the polyline using one of the corner edit handles so that it is past the midpoint of all the walls.

3.  Convert Polyline to Materials List Polyline

4.  Click Calculate Materials List

I realize that there are work-a-rounds but you should be able to select a room and get a complete materials list otherwise whats the point in even having a rooms materials list?

I can calculate the materials list on paper faster than doing poly lines or other creative Ideas.

I guess I need to post another suggestion in the suggestion box but I thought we had all covered this before in a earlier conversation and I assumed that CA would come up with a fix in X8 but they did not.

...I can calculate the materials list on paper faster than doing poly lines or other creative Ideas...

I understand using a little hyperbole to prove a point, but this statement is simply not true in any sense of the word.  Using the steps I mentioned in my previous post I can create a material list for any given room in 15 seconds or less. 

There IS a way...

Michael:

WAY too many steps :(

a preference or default setting would be preferred ...

Lew

A preference or default would be nice, but saying it's way too many steps is just sillyness. It takes 3 extra clicks and a few seconds...big deal.

Michael:

those steps may be fine for occasional use

but to do over and over again if that is what is needed

all those extra clicks start to add up :(

secondly - if this is a task that isn't done for a long time

then remembering those steps can be an issue

much better to have a setting or have the material list generator

ask "do you want to include the walls"

much more "user-friendly" :)

Lew

Michael,

I understand what you are says but the silliness seems mostly to be in the part of the programing team. I would like a direct question answered but I'm not getting it. Can what I'm asking for be done? Can CA make it so when I select a room (without using poly lines) that it will generate all the materials for that room? Or is it to complicated? It tells you the ceiling drywall, why not the walls?

Also what about the electrical? It calculates the plumbing, doors, windows and everything else.

Doesn't that seem silly to you?

This may also be covered in the manual, but.......the Materials List will not deduct openings, from the moldings quantity, if they are auto generated through the Room Spec. dbx.  I suppose they do this to take care of any extra molding, that may be needed.  However, I prefer an exact count and to figure my own percentage of waste, etc.

This may also be covered in the manual, but.......the Materials List will not deduct openings, from the moldings quantity, if they are auto generated through the Room Spec. dbx.  I suppose they do this to take care of any extra molding, that may be needed.  However, I prefer an exact count and to figure my own percentage of waste, etc.

Agreed

• 3 months later...