Island Cabinet Lines

AlexAncon

Whenever I assemble different sized bases on opposites sides of an island, there are lines that appear showing where they don't match.  I have (in the past) always then created a top rather than the default top, which hides it.  But I wondered if there was an easier way.

Thoughts?

post-4217-0-43649600-1429804943_thumb.png

Alexander:

I have had that happen to me as well.  Generally, at some point I like to have the module lines turned on so I can make sure all the cabinets look like they are butted up tight to each other.  If the module lines for adjacent cabinets look a bit heavy or I see a tiny jog in them, I know I have to zoom in close to verify that I have a problem and then go about fixing things.

It doesn't appear you have module lines on in your image.  I suggest you display them and then closely inspect how your cabinets are butting up to each other.  "Maybe" there's a problem there and that's why you are seeing that line.

I didn't attach the plan I am actually working on (it's big and cumbersome) but I worked up an example plan.  I also included screen shots of the various states: module lines off/on and with the custom countertop.  I have been using the custom counter top solution but it means that I do lose the ability to include some information (appliances for instance).   If I reduce the transparency of the counter top, I can show appliances but the offset lines show as well.

As always.  Thanks!

countertop_question.plan

post-4217-0-30862700-1429829073_thumb.png

post-4217-0-47335500-1429829183_thumb.png

I haven't spent too much time on this but those back-to-back cabinet module lines only seem to appear when you have at least two cabinets on one side and at least one cabinet opposite, and their sides are offset.  If you have only one cabinet on each side and their sides are offset, the back module line doesn't show up.  Just one of those Chief things.  I don't know that I would call that a bug but it wouldn't hurt to report it as the line(s) really shouldn't be there unless module lines are checked for display IMO.

Apologize for my ignorance,  but doesn't that hide the base cabinets?

Of course it does Scott. Don't shoot the messenger :D

I don't know what he's trying to achieve or why. I was just noting that what the OP is experiencing is the way it is and if it's really important the only answer I know of is to hide it all (except see below). Once in a while I do this for a particular view and place that counter on it's own layer that I can turn off for other views. Though usually I have module lines on- want to know what I'm ordering- so not an issue.

It's a pick your poison situation- turn on cab module lines those "extras" go away, turn em off and they appear, hide em with a counter and lose everything below, make the counter transparent and they are back...unless you turn on module lines. Who's on first...

The other way to get rid of the "extras" is to make each side of the island out of one cabinet and divide them to suit in the DBX. Which is fine if they are being built that way.

Of course it does Scott. Don't shoot the messenger :D

I don't know what he's trying to achieve or why. I was just noting that what the OP is experiencing is the way it is and if it's really important the only answer I know of is to hide it all (except see below). Once in a while I do this for a particular view and place that counter on it's own layer that I can turn off for other views. Though usually I have module lines on- want to know what I'm ordering- so not an issue.

It's a pick your poison situation- turn on cab module lines those "extras" go away, turn em off and they appear, hide em with a counter and lose everything below, make the counter transparent and they are back...unless you turn on module lines. Who's on first...

The other way to get rid of the "extras" is to make each side of the island out of one cabinet and divide them to suit in the DBX. Which is fine if they are being built that way.

Thanks Mark for the clarification.  I had not thought of your solution,  it might be a very good solution.  And in regards to the base cabs not showing  (and because of the way I do a few things,  this is not a new issue),  I generally draw a box the size of the base cabs,  put on base cab layer and bring to front.

Not perfect.......  I agree,  pick your poison.

There seems to be a few other weird things going on with the Module Lines. In the plan sent by Alexander I was able to get this to happen even if the cabinet was moved away up to 2" from the other backing cabinet as I was checking to see if it was a bumping/connecting issue. However in my plans it only happens when the cabinets are truly connected. Also, in his plan I noticed that in the Active Layer Display Options for Module Line I could not get it to accept any style changes such as Line Style, Line Weight, etc. Yet in my plans this works fine. No idea why the differences, just my observations so far.

Graham

I think It's something to do with how module lines are recognized/tracked in the programing. If you take two cabinets butted side by side and toggle the module line on and off then they respond correctly. Then select the two cabinets and do a copy in place, they are now superimposed. The on off toggle does not work and the lines remain. It seems like one set of the module lines it not being recognized as a module line and is therefore not turned off.

Graham

Just a few more observations on this module line anomaly.

- It happens on all objects under cabinets except the partition. This includes custom counter tops.

- the portion of the module line that still shows when toggled off varies depending upon which object has been defined to be in front of the group.

- placing each object on an individual layer had no effect on this behavior.

- not restricted to back to back placement. Two cabinets placed side by side would show this behavior when the common connection was less than 50%. 

Hope this helps in identifying the cause.

Graham

Here's my solution:

1.  Draw a line right over the offending module line.

2.  Open that line's dbx (dbl-click)

3.  Select Color, Eyedropper, click on the Countertop Fill.

You still get the outer edge of the Cabinets and the edge of the Counter Top.

• Upvote 1

Chief's cabinets are setup so that they can only join one cabinet back to another cabinet back.  If you have more then one cabinet against the back of a cabinet, you may get stray module lines because the program gets confused about which cabinet is connected to which other one.  You can either display all module lines or use one of the many workarounds suggested here.

I experience island problems also and so many of the kitchen remodels I do have islands.  It's getting all the cabinet modules tight and they are a beast to reposition etc.

A trick I found that really helped me was to position a line of cabinets against a wall, configure them or edit, then block the whole group knowing that the backs are perfectly aligned.  I then do the same for the "back" side of the island with whatever configuration is going there, block this group of cabinets.  I then place them back to back and make sure they are aligned which is so much easier as 2 blocks.  And once again-when perfect, I block it all into one group.  Sometimes, this has eliminated the lines, other times I've used a custom countertop and just annotated with text the appliances below.