Roof Intersections

ereisch

Is there a way to auto-cut roofs at intersections?  For example, if I have two gable roofs whose peaks are perpendicular to each other, is there a way to "cut" the two roof planes at their intersection, thus forming a valley?  This seems like it should be trivial, but I've found finding the exact location where two intersect is not that simple, and takes a bit of trial-and-error of moving the "buried" corner around so it follows the valley line in the rendered image.  Plus, my design has several such intersections, so if it can auto-cut them that would save me several hours of tweaking the plane lines.

I would just let it go and have the one roof buried under the other, but I suspect it's going to affect my material list calculations.

Thanks in advance.

Is there a way to auto-cut roofs at intersections?  For example, if I have two gable roofs whose peaks are perpendicular to each other, is there a way to "cut" the two roof planes at their intersection, thus forming a valley?  This seems like it should be trivial, but I've found finding the exact location where two intersect is not that simple, and takes a bit of trial-and-error of moving the "buried" corner around so it follows the valley line in the rendered image.  Plus, my design has several such intersections, so if it can auto-cut them that would save me several hours of tweaking the plane lines.

I would just let it go and have the one roof buried under the other, but I suspect it's going to affect my material list calculations.

Thanks in advance.

Here in Calif. we want one roof under the other, it's called California framing, only thing is that the roofing material itself is also there (under) so it will blow the materials list out of wack.

If you're drawing the roof manually and you want to quickly see where the roof intersect each other, use the "Roof laser tool". It's actually a setting you have in preferences so that you can place roof intersection points. I don't believe it's on by default.

Thanks in advance.

There is no way to 'auto cut roof at intersection" but it's a great suggestion and one I have advocated in the past. Currently you must manually cut each roof where they meet and form valleys but once you do then the join roof tool will do the job. Should not take several hours - perhaps several minutes.

Well, if the two roof planes have similar pitch, simply using cad lines extend the two base lines and find the point of intersection. Then using that intersection point draw an arc that connects the two baselines, snapping the mid point of that arc draw a line to connects it with the center point of the arc. It is that line is where the two roof planes will join.

Sorry, Home Designer Pro 2014 -- I've never been able to get the roof join tool to work, except in one instance.  I always get the infmaous "zero length edge" error.  The online help database hasn't clued me into what the underlying problem is with my particular setup.  If I'm still having the same problem in a couple days, I'll post a screenshot of the faces I'm trying to join.

The Roof Laser Tool is a great suggestion -- I'll look into that.  I also didn't think of using Yusuf's suggestion of scoring a construction line at the base line intersection -- I'll try that too if the roof laser tool doesn't pan out.

I dont think lazer is in home designer series?

"Automatically Place Roof Intersection points"   ( aka the roof lazer)    Is In HD PRO in Preferences, but not the other HD titles AFAIK   , though it drives me crazy :)  so is usually off.

Sounds like you are trying to join the wrong edges with the "join Roof edges tool"   check out the training videos perhaps...

HomeTalk is here , use the same ID and Password  ,  https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

Sorry, Home Designer Pro 2014 -- I've never been able to get the roof join tool to work, except in one instance.  I always get the infmaous "zero length edge" error.  The online help database hasn't clued me into what the underlying problem is with my particular setup...

I too used to have problems with the Join Roof Planes tool.  As I recall, the instructions weren't very clear either.  The key is to select the proper EDGES of the roof planes you're trying to join. 

1.  Select the first plane and click on the edge you would like to join.  The edit handle (little box shape) should be bigger on that edge line now.

2.  Click on the join roof plane tool

3.  Click on the 2nd EDGE you would like to join.  Again, don't just select the second roof plane.  You have to click on the EDGE.

Hopefully that helps.