Cabinet Shelves

Dennis_Gavin

Chief - PLEASE make it so when you uncheck cabinet shelves that they DON'T show!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this has been posted before but as far as I am concerned it is a BUG!!!!!!!!!

Should be an EASY fix for THIS release, NOT X8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is NOT a suggestion, This is a DEMAND!  (like that will work)  ;o(

post-132-0-42421700-1425754546_thumb.jpg

Chief - PLEASE make it so when you uncheck cabinet shelves that they DON'T show!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this has been posted before but as far as I am concerned it is a BUG!!!!!!!!!

Should be an EASY fix for THIS release, NOT X8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is NOT a suggestion, This is a DEMAND!  (like that will work)  ;o(

GD/DG/Gavin mi amigo,   select cabinet,  open dbx  FRONT<SHELVES SPECIFY<DEPTH SPECIFY  change depth by about a 1/2" and all will be well.

Scott - I know I can do that but I should not have to.  Why have a selection  to toggle on/off shelves if it doesn't work?????

Well,  now I am confused.  There is a toggle button to toggle shelves on and off?  Why would anybody want that.  Either they are there or they are not.  And if they are there,  why would anybody want them so deep that they pop through the from cabinet door.

I must be missing something.

Perry - it is set to default shelf management.  the shelves are 20 1/4.  I cannot remember ever

changing anything to do with shelves except on specific plans when I want to adjust their number

or placement. (like for roll out shelves)

Never thought t change the default depth in the profile plan.  I know I have seen this posted before.

(was it me?? )

they are showing in the base cabinets too Perry , but yes a bit strange , I never do framed cabinets but never noticed this

perhaps post the plan Dennis and someone can try and find a bad setting or something...

The 20 1/4 were on 21" deep cabinets.  (bath vanity cabinets)  The wall cabinet is 12" with shelves at 10 1/2.

Again - set to automatic shelf management.  Don't know why such a disparity between the depths. Wall (1 1/2) and tall(3/4) and base(1 1/2).

Looks like Chiefs automatic settings may be off.  I can post the plan but Just try it own your own using 21" deep tall vanity & base cabinets

and 12" wall cabinets and change the cabinets to framed versus frameless in vector view.

I see it all the time in vector views with OOB settings, been since I've used CA (X3). Once someone told me it was Z fighting?  As camera angle changes some will go away, sometimes all of them. I tried toggle shelves once upon a time, did nothing so started to change the defaults to eliminate it.

I think this is a bug, but only sort of.  It is basically a z-fighting problem.  The cabinet shelves are fighting with the door panel because they are too close together.  It is very obvious when you have frameless cabinets (because we bring the shelves out to the front of the cabinet instead of to the back of the face frame) and with the default door symbol (because it has a very thin panel that is only about 1/16" thick).

There are several ways for you to solve this problem:

1.  Use a different door style (hopefully one that has a panel that is thicker then 1/16" thick).

2.  Use a face frame cabinet.

3.  Adjust the shelf depth so that they are not so close to the door panel.

4.  Remove the shelves from the cabinet.

5.  Report it to tech support.  Things like this will get more attention if people actually report it to tech support instead of just talk about it on Chieftalk.

The good news is that I don't think it will show up in standard rendered views or when you send your views to layout pages.

Doug, it was likely you who told me it was Z fighting- back on the old forum, likely in X4.

I would say it is not as prevalent as it once was (but then again I've had my default shelves set back to something closer to what is built IRL for a long time now).

I would say that framed/frameless does not matter, and the door panel may but no door style is immune.

Here is a "inset with raised panel", X6 plan opened in 7 and "Full overlay, framed, recessed panel (1/4" panel set 1/4" from the back of the door) plan started in X6 finished in 7. In both cases it is possible to  show shelves after moving the camera around.

Once in a while it happens when first opening a view but more commonly after moving the camera around. What is interesting is that I can move a camera (away) and the shelves show BUT then go and place a new camera in the same vicinity, appr. same angle but in the new view they do not show?

Sometimes, but rarely, I need to show a specific view for detail and have to eliminate shelves completely.

It depends on the view- note that it is possible for shelves to show through the sides of a cabinet in certain cases.

David- I've had this across 3 separate computers over the years, 2 still in use, all with different video cards. (but all with similar monitors?)

I'm wondering about camera settings? Mine are attached and I have not messed with them in a very long time. They may have been changed some years ago?  IF they were it was because of this specific issue and would have been based on advice here on the forum. Do these look like yours? I attached a plan with 2 saved cameras. Do you not get any shelves showing on your system?

post-85-0-35720500-1425821913_thumb.png

post-85-0-73199200-1425821922_thumb.png

I get this a lot when I use vector view to show a client 3d at a schematic stage. It happens when zoomed out to show a large area. Goes away when I zoom in. But I need the long view (doing bookstores) and this is really annoying and makes it look like I have Mickey Mouse CAD.

Liz

I'd like it fixed so that a "full" shelf reflected real life- sits 1/4 to 1/2" back from the face frame. Then it won't show. Problem with a toggle is it would also toggle open shelf and glass front cabinets. But I'd live with it if it made ya happy Dennis :) I could always adjust the depths as I do now.

Guess it depends on why you want to see em? I could live with either, I only want to see shelves if they are supposed to show. .

The whole thing is now just a minor annoyance to me since I know how to get around it.

I'm surprised that you didn't run into it sooner (and that some have never seen it). I ran into it very quickly after beginning to use the program.  My clients have me swinging the camera all over, often in vector so the problem shows up quickly.

I think it could be more of a problem to someone (I guess a kitchen person) evaluating the program especially coming from 2020 or PK, who would not know what it was or that it could be fixed.

OTOH for those times that I am ordering extra shelves I'd love to be able to get into the schedule-easily.

I just thought seeing them would reinforce to the homeowner how many shelves are in each cabinet.

It's not really a biggie, just another option.  More annoying seeing them when you don't want to.

But as you said it can be handled easily. 

Here is another thought.  Make the doors translucent similar to glass house view so you can see

inside the cabinets.

Can you tell things are slow around here?   ;o)

The other day Scott Harris told me this doesn't happen in the technical illustration view and it doesn't. Suits the purpose for me in most cases, just have to make it a bit less ugly. He suggested looking at the Fire and Ice sample I think on the CA website. I'm gonna play with that. Just thought I 'd pass it on.