Time Tracker Question

HumbleChief

I'm curious as to how you all use (or if you use) the time tracker and how to combine Layout time spent with plan file time spent. My questions centers around how to discern those time values when many time the Plan file and the Layout file are open at the same time, both accruing time, but the cumulative times of those 2 files can be much greater than time actually spent on the project? Hope that makes a little sense. Thank You

Good question, I have been exploring the full use of this tool recently.  Are the times combined or separate, meaning does the Layout and Plan file have separate logs?  Shirley, the Layout log does not accumulate when the Plan is open but when you open a Plan from Layout do they both accumulate?  

Good questions is right... I've just begun using the time tracker after all these years, but lean on the plan view for the results. 

One way to confirm the time usage is by going to Manage Auto Archives.

The auto saves should provide an indicator of the starts and stops on the clock.  Both in layout mode and plan mode. 

To lean on the side of accuracy, the majority (if not all) of the work is done in plan mode vs. layout.  Those findings should be more accurate. 

• Like 1

It kind of depends on how you have your templates set up and how you work.  If you only spend a few minutes on the plan without the layout open use the recorded layout hours.  However if you spend quite a few hours or days on the plan file before sending anything to layout then use the plan recorded hours and try to have the plan open if you do any dedicated layout work.

A few years back I had a go at sorting out overlapping hours and collaborative users with some success in Excel with exported Time Tracker files but it took a lot of effort and the formulas got exponentially more complicated the more files you were comparing.

I know that @Kbird1 has a system he uses and think he's happy with.

I don't use it. Instead I use Legal Billing from ChaosSoftware for over a decade. It does not start or stop automatically (there may be a way above my pay grade to make that a happen?)

I find that an advantage, easier than the built in tracker for me anyway.

If I end up on a phone call or other distraction but left it running, I can adjust it easily. OR if I forgot to start it I can check the time code for when I started on the file in explorer and adjust. You can even adjust if you forget an entire day :)

It can connect to any of their PIM apps. I use Intellect which includes email but it can also connect to Time & Chaos (last I knew even the free version of that.) You set up a Group in the contact section and tell it to connect to that. The names kept there will appear in a drop down for clients.  

While OOB it is set to do billing for lawyers I changed the Activities.text to suit so I can keep track of specific tasks if I feel like it.

image.thumb.png.1b195c4f5ced1d35a6ef0b2c0b031a5b.png

It exports to Excel after which I copy and paste into an invoice template. All in all pretty simple to use and not bad to get up and running. Free to try.

I've found tech support to be very good. Support is by web look up or email. I've always gotten answers for email same day. I also use their cloud service ChaosHost but primarily to sync contacts  and calendar to my phone. When I was more active I did sync LB too but rarely needed that.

3 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I know that @Kbird1 has a system he uses and think he's happy with

I have Changed things around nowadays as it seemed with each new Version Chief Changed the way things worked in the Time Tracker as least in regards to how the Export to Excel worked but I don't usually export much these days  but I used to use this Method I post on the Forum a couple of years ago here ....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/33811-quick-tip-one-method-to-use-excel-to-convert-chiefs-time-tracker-durations/?tab=comments#comment-263978

Nowadays I use a per Client Timebook in Excel, and use the Layout to track hours , so I don't need to do the whole comparative thing with the Plan Time Tracker, as they work separately and concurrently, which can throw the brain for a Loop :)

Using the Layout does require opening the Project from Layout EACH AND EVERY time which I have found to be far easier for Time Tracking , so I waste far less time in Excel, which I don't get paid for...

Open Layout Template    and resave to Client Name + Rev.No# into Client Project Folder

Open Plan Template        and resave to Client Name + Rev.No# into Client Project Folder

( My Template Plan has a 10' x 10' "Box House" in it )

In Layout go to the As-Built 1st Floor Plan page and "relink" the Layout Box to the New Client Plan

(single click the Layout box and open it on the toolbar)

( Or In plan draw a wall or the Box house and immediately send to layout )

Important: 

* In both the Layout and Plan Templates Open the Time Tracker and delete any entries from the Template "Making" which should be easy via Dates

** If Needed now Relink the Layout and Plan via the TOOLS > LAYOUT > Referenced Plans option , but the relinking above usually has it fixed already

( Template Layout is Linked to Template Plan Already )

TimeTracker is now up and running in Both Layout and Plan 

( set it  in preferences to always on so you can't forget ).

REMEMBER .....to always open the Layout and open the plan from the Layout ......  ( it is open in the background anyway - see your P.B.)

image.thumb.png.45b50781e758bbecbbcb168534d14b23.png

@MarkMc    I never could get used to Chaos Software not 20yrs ago and not more recently again until i started with the above method  :) I seem to "lose" less hours with above , but I am sure that is just me as Chaos has been around since the DOS Days.... 

Mick.

Thanks for al the ideas. I don't time track very often as my jobs don't usually lend themselves, so I have no real strategy, just confusion trying to meld the Layout and Plan times into some cohesive conclusion. I like all the suggestions and think I'll try to start with a new Layout per client and open template plans from there, saving the template plan file to the client folder and use the Layout to open the plan file and track time with the Layout file.

Thank you again.

19 hours ago, VHampton said:

To lean on the side of accuracy, the majority (if not all) of the work is done in plan mode vs. layout.  Those findings should be more accurate. 

Ditto. I spend very little time on layout. A bit of layout box shuffling is all I do there so if I need to refer to my time log, I use the plan file and a reasonable amount of rounding...never rounding down of course.

How does the name assignment work?  It only seems to register for the origination.  In the dialog box you can add a line for a date but then the name only goes to the top line...If your sharing a file can each person sign in separately?

3 hours ago, Hammer7 said:

How does the name assignment work?  It only seems to register for the origination.  In the dialog box you can add a line for a date but then the name only goes to the top line...If your sharing a file can each person sign in separately?

Enter your initials or user name in Preferences and it will appear on each line recorded in the Time Tracker log.  It would work best if each person sharing the file worked from their own terminal but I suppose you could change the user name in Preferences before opening the plan file and it would work if you were  all disciplined about doing that each time.  Sorting out the hours is a different matter though and requires another third party app. 

• Like 1