Slab On Top Of Stem Wall?

MickeyToo

Thanks, Perry, but that places the slab flush to or AT Top of Stem Wall (both are at the same EL). I am looking to place the slab ON Top of Stem Wall. I am half way there. You will see in my previous pic that the the top of the slab is higher than the top of the stem wall (OK so far), but the slab will not extend over and across the top of the stem wall to meet the PT sill (big gap). In other words, I want the slab to behave like it does when it sits on top of the footing in the basement: ON the footing and against the foundation wall automatically.

There are workarounds, I suppose, but I just did not know if I was missing something. Easy to do.

Thanks again.

post-571-0-93246200-1424036788_thumb.jpg

This is as close as I can get OOTB.
The foundation is "Walls with Footings"
The "Normal" walls are set to "Foundation Walls" - I put them on a different layer for more control.

(make the necessary adjustments for the wall footing to fit on top of stem wall)
Level 1, Room Specification, set floor finish to 0" and floor structure to "concrete",  3" thick.

Make a few more minor adjustments to Cad detail in Elevation to get to exact look/design.

Edit: See Attached

post-82-0-17296800-1424111091_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-64935100-1424120047_thumb.jpg

This is as close as I can get OOTB.

The foundation is "Walls with Footings", "Slab at Top of Stem Walls" - Slab thickness set to 1"

The "Normal" walls are set to "Foundation Walls" - I put them on a different layer for more control.

(make the necessary adjustments for the wall footing to fit on top of stem wall)

Level 1, Room Specification, set floor finish to 0" and floor structure to "concrete",  3" thick.

The problem with your model is you have a sill plate between top of stem wall and bottom of slab....there should not a sill there....

and the second problem is a 1" slab vs. 4" thick slab........ I can do this quite easily with the exception of eliminating the sill plate on top of the conc stem wall

Since no one is going to come right out and say it....No, using Chief Architect you cannot get the slab to set on top of the stemwall like those of us in the Midwest build. You have to use one of the workarounds that some folks are showing, or set the slab to be flush, like Chief wants it, and when doing the detail for that area, pull the slab fill over and move on. I will give you the first piece of advice I give to people that do my training class...stop fighting the program! Chief does what it does, adjust and move on or you will spin your wheels for days trying to get that slab to set on top of the wall.

Since no one is going to come right out and say it....No, using Chief Architect you cannot get the slab to set on top of the stemwall like those of us in the Midwest build. You have to use one of the workarounds that some folks are showing, or set the slab to be flush, like Chief wants it, and when doing the detail for that area, pull the slab fill over and move on. I will give you the first piece of advice I give to people that do my training class...stop fighting the program! Chief does what it does, adjust and move on or you will spin your wheels for days trying to get that slab to set on top of the wall.

x2 Joe, on the East coast also its never done that way.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

In cold weather climates, special care must be taken to properly insulate slabs, of course. (It was minus two degrees this morning here in New England!) The first pic shows how we did slabs years ago and the second how we would do them today (some elements are not shown such as sill sealer, bug shields etc). Both are simply variations on recommended methods shown here:

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/slab-edge-insulation

In addition to the (modest) insulation value the double pressure treated sill provides, we like the fact that it improves the exterior profile of the structure, dropping the siding down and allowing for a full kick board under doors. This method also allows for the slab to be poured after the structure is framed. Lastly, if it ever becomes necessary to replace the sill plate, it can be done from the outside without disturbing the interior space. Growing up in New England with its many historic structures, you learn to think (and design) for the really long-term.

Thanks again!

post-571-0-82894800-1424101614_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-23824000-1424101654_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-10187200-1424101885_thumb.jpg

Hey Scott: That is a great vid!  Lots of useful information, and very clever, especially hanging the slab the way you did. (Too bad those slabs are not editable in other views.)

Anyway, I really do appreciate you taking the time to make it. I have it bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks again!

I've changed my procedure for Floor Finishes.  My Default is no Finish Floor.  Then I add Floor Material Regions in each room.  They are on Layer "Material Regions" so I can have "Floor Surfaces" displayed (the Slab Floor Structure).

I like this procedure for my Floors because I can create much more flexible finish flooring layouts.  My Entire Structure starts out with a "Framed Floor" which can be a 4" concrete Slab - which can even have gravel and a membrane under it.  I thought this might be more work - but I was having to go into each room and change the flooring anyway since the default never seems to match most of the rooms.

BTW, this allows me to change the material in a large room without having an "invisible wall".