Instead of a Down Vote Tell Us What You Think

HumbleChief

I agree that when a person has both the time and ability to articulate why they find a post unhelpful and when there's good reason to believe that doing so may be fruitful, that they should do so.  I do however think its a little more nuanced than what your presenting.  a few things to consider:

• It's not always about a counter idea or opinion.  Sometimes a person is just being downright rude.  In such cases posting a response would likely just be a waste of time.
  • Sometimes there's a clear measure of arrogance being displayed where (again) we know we would be wasting our time responding.
  • Sometimes is abundantly clear that a person or group is simply entrenched in an idea and that no amount of convincing is going to change their mind.  That doesn't however mean that the post isn't truly unhelpful.  We know we don't have time for the ensuing argument and so we'd rather just make it known that we think the post is unhelpful and then move on.
  • Even IF we might be able to change someones mind, sometimes we don't have time for what we know will elicit an ongoing argument.  So again, we'd rather just make it known that we think the post is unhelpful and then move on.
  • Sometimes the quantity of unhelpful posts from a user is such that we don't want to continually drag them through the mud or make them feel insulted.  A down-vote might sting a little but I'd argue that its better than hearing "you're wrong" over and over again.
  • Sometimes we don't have the time, desire, or even the vocabulary to argue our point or explain why the post is wrong or unhelpful.  I find myself in this particular situation quite a bit.  We can quickly read through 30 topics with 100 posts and find half a dozen incorrect, misleading, or otherwise unhelpful posts.  That doesn't however mean that we have time to address each and every one.  This is particularly true on active threads with a lot of posts from several different members.  Sometimes its just unreasonable to post a meaningful response to everyone.

I for one wish that the forum had a comment section below each forum post for reasons exactly like the one being discussed.  It would make it a lot easier and less disruptive to the conversation if we could simply have a smaller discussion based on a specific post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My opinion, and I've stated it before, is that the downvoting here is appealing to some because it's anonymous. Other boards I use, you can see who voted up or down. If they showed that, it would reduce the frivolous downvotes IMO. I'll admit I've been tempted to downvote before for that very reason, but I hesitate because of that same reason; I don't want to take advantage of that ability to hide my vote. So I rarely - RARELY downvote. I've done it a few times, mostly recently and in response to some of the posts regarding the pricing change. Never for suggestions, or answers in Q&A. I just think it's cowardly. I do upvote, however.

Now hit me wid dem reddies!! :P

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

My favorite is seeing a new post in Q&A and seeing it siting there with 0 replies and a downvote.
Who downvotes someone for asking a question?!  So rude.

Just remember, internet forums are like "Who's Line Is It Anyway?"; the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 6/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, TeaTime said:

My favorite is seeing a new post in Q&A and seeing it siting there with 0 replies and a downvote.

Just remember, internet forums are like "Who's Line Is It Anyway?"; the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Very true TeaTime!

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2023 at 4:28 PM, TeaTime said:

Haha, you got downvoted for that. THAT'LL TEACH YA!! :lol:

Now hit me with your best shot, you red-downarrow-slingin' devil, whoever you are!! Lol

(Or get a life... maybe?)

• Upvote 2

Many long time members post here, with the best of intentions, and practical solutions. 

The red arrow of disapproval can be discouraging.

Rather than a downvote, perhaps a star rating could help.

This would avoid making the person who posted feel like a complete dumb ass, or having wasted their time in trying to be of assistance.  

= Lame reply. Off Topic. 

☆ = Better, but marginally helpful.  

☆☆☆ = Take note. Helpful comment. 

☆☆☆☆ = Someone really knows their stuff. Kudos. 

☆☆☆☆☆ = Enlightenment. Thank you for saving the day and for the expert tip.  

For what it's worth, everyone in this thread got an upvote.

Here's another below. Provided with full disclosure. 

image.png.964e5dd77cd74da27d3f3b9d162edc9a.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, VHampton said:

For what it's worth, everyone in this thread got an upvote.

Okay Oprah, calm down ;)

Star rating would be nice - though it entirely depends on if the forum even supports such a thing.

That aside, people don't like change, so it likely won't. Oh well!

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Okay Oprah

Man. That's like being called Nancy (ice cream hoarding) Pelosi. Or Joy Behar. 

I'd rather have a down vote any day.  For what it's worth, I am calm. 

As a gesture of goodwill though, no down vote despite slinging one of the most horrible insults imaginable. lol

For what it's worth, if star ratings can be done for threads, why not posts? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

Okay Oprah, calm down ;)

Star rating would be nice - though it entirely depends on if the forum even supports such a thing.

That aside, people don't like change, so it likely won't. Oh well!

Man you're getting reddied like they're going outta style! :lol:

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 2:36 PM, PhillipsPlans22 said:

I got downvoted for commenting on a post where someone was asking for some design help. Why would you down vote me for asking if you need help? and then I cant even see who did it or why... :wub: Not Love less War

yeah, i once got a downvote for helping someone with their roof. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, StephenGreene said:

yeah, i once got a downvote for helping someone with their roof. 

Just curious about this.  Was your answer not considered correct by other users?  Did someone else offer a different method?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The downvote can be counter productive. It can also give a way to discourage a sincere user of Chief Architect who might have an older version like me and need some help. I like it when a forum lets you know who liked or appreciated your help and or comments.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StephenGreene said:

no, no response from anyone. 

Well dunno then.  At least it earned me a downvote for asking you a question if that makes you feel any better.  You know misery loves company.  :D