Bow Window

keithhe

Is there a way to easily create a bow window in CA that does not have support walls under each panel? Some bow windows are already mulled and fit within rough out in straight wall. Anderson for example make them. All the core CA bows force walls under the panels.

Didn't Anderson used to have a bonus catalog in CA? 

Thanks,

Bow Window.jpg

Thank you Eric 1, and had tried that and was not satisfied with the way CA does it. Not many options available to improve.

Eric 2, I'll try that method as minimally it would give me more control of the window components, I think.

Thanks guys, I'll play a bit and see what I can do.

3 minutes ago, keithhe said:

Thank you Eric 1, and had tried that and was not satisfied with the way CA does it. Not many options available to improve.

Eric 2, I'll try that method as minimally it would give me more control of the window components, I think.

Thanks guys, I'll play a bit and see what I can do.

That's what has always worked for me - Eric 2

1 hour ago, keithhe said:

I don't think so. 

I did create a complete set of the Anderson "Bay Window" symbols several years ago.   I had attempted to convert them to "Window Symbols" - Chief's Projection Windows - but there are several problems with how Chief handles projection window symbols. 

I offered to make them available to CA - if they would fix those problems.  I've made the suggestion to  Chief but when/if they will be fixed is unknown.

I have those as symbols as Exterior Fixtures that hang on a wall.

I never got around to creating the "Bow Window" symbols - it would be a lot of work.

Currently the only reasonable way to use such symbols is to place a "Pass-Thru" window in order to get the opening and trim correct.

12 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I don't think so. 

I did create a complete set of the Anderson "Bay Window" symbols several years ago.   I had attempted to convert them to "Window Symbols" - Chief's Projection Windows - but there are several problems with how Chief handles projection window symbols. 

I offered to make them available to CA - if they would fix those problems.  I've made the suggestion to  Chief but when/if they will be fixed is unknown.

I have those as symbols as Exterior Fixtures that hang on a wall.

I never got around to creating the "Bow Window" symbols - it would be a lot of work.

Currently the only reasonable way to use such symbols is to place a "Pass-Thru" window in order to get the opening and trim correct.

Thanks Joe. I think that best I can do is a work around type solution. What Eric suggested above might work, but will take a bit to get it to look right.

4 hours ago, keithhe said:

Is there a way to easily create a bow window in CA that does not have support walls under each panel? Some bow windows are already mulled and fit within rough out in straight wall. Anderson for example make them. All the core CA bows force walls under the panels.

Thanks,

Bow Window.jpg

image.thumb.png.b73c8fcc54d594c728ebc2aa211c5975.png

Doesn't really help you in this case but there are some windows in the core catalog from olden days.

4 hours ago, keithhe said:

Are you aware that you have complete control over the windows while using the OOB bow window?

5 hours ago, keithhe said:

Is there a way to easily create a bow window in CA that does not have support walls under each panel?

Use the Has Raised Floor option in the bow window dbx.

This is a standard bow window:

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 9.09.30 am.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just to follow-up with what Glenn is saying, if you need to modify a component window in a bay/bow, you just need to use the tab key to select it.  You can then open the dialog to customize it.

If you need more control then the auto bay/bow gives you, you can also explode it just like you can explode an auto dormer.

Mr Cooper (and congrats on the 727 heist by the way) that was one of the pieces of the puzzle I was missing. The tab to get to change windows was something that hadn't dawned on me, and Glenn didn't mention. A quick try (just changing settings to see what everything does) helps with the bottom of the window "raised floor" and did the same for "lower ceiling". But still has the odd rounded part above window. and my terrain is still cut below window, but noticed that didn't happen to Glenn's so there must be something else i'm missing still. 

Changing the window components in DBX should fix the siding between windows, I suspect.  

Bow Window WIP.jpg

Usually, when you lower the ceiling on a bay/bow, you will get a separate roof over it.  There are also some limited controls over the roof on the "options" page.  I think if you choose "use existing roof" you can draw your own roof to stop the bow window walls.

Thanks Eric. So the rounded part above then is stuck there I think, based on what you said. Chief is still looking at the window as a wall, of sorts. Even in Glenn's example he has that round part to wall above the window as well. 

Mr Cooper, i tried with and without the "lower ceiling" radio button selected and does not change the round wall over window. I also tried each of the roof options (Use Existing Roof, Extend Existing roof over and Rectangular roof over and none change the area above the bow window.

Thanks though, I appreciate the input.

Seems to work ok for me.  Bow window below is fully auto.  It has a lowered ceiling and raised floor. 

The only other thing I did was change my default roof overhang because it looks pretty dumb with an 18" overhang.  Sure would be nice if you could modify the auto roof settings in the bay window though.  If you still want an 18" overhang for the rest of the roof, you would have to specify it as 18" in each of the walls (or just use manual roofs).

You could also create the roof above the bow window manually but this seems like more work to me.

Now if you want to remove those extra lines on the wall above the window, that's a whole different problem.  The short answer is that is what I use "edit layout lines " for.

bow window.png

13 minutes ago, solver said:

You need a roof over the bow like your picture above shows.

Mr Cooper, That's the last of the pieces of the puzzle. I hate auto roofs, so will likely just draw one manually, which is always fun too.

That's it Eric  Adding the roof over window gets rid of the wall bulge above window.

So with some tweaks here and there, there is a way to make a bow window in CA that does not rely on walls directly beneath the windows. Not all intuitive for me, especially the modify window components.

Thanks so much guys!! Learned a bunch on this round.  

I hate auto roofs, so will likely just draw one manually, which is always fun too.

I'm the opposite.  I always start with auto everything and will jump through flaming hoops to get them to work before I resort to manual. :)

Use whatever method works for you.

6 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

I always start with auto everything and will jump through flaming hoops to get them to work before I resort to manual.

You are probably right, and I do actually use auto, but it does some weird stuff sometimes that I never have understood, then fixing can be a challenge.

Don't recall which one, but one of the "old timers" maybe Glenn or Dshall said way back when to learn to draw roof manually first, and once you understand that, then use auto roofs. Problem is I'm still not great at manual, so I keep trying to get better, and it does help actually.

I've often wished you could select a manual roof plane (of many) and say. "leave this one alone", and auto the rest, but not an option I'm aware of, so whenever you rebuild roofs your manual one you wanted is whacked.

5 hours ago, keithhe said:

Don't recall which one, but one of the "old timers" maybe Glenn or Dshall said way back when to learn to draw roof manually first, and once you understand that, then use auto roofs.

I don't think I would have ever said that.

I have always suggested to start with auto roofs and then only resort to manual when you have exhausted the auto way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, keithhe said:

I do actually use auto, but it does some weird stuff sometimes that I never have understood

Just throwing this out there, but I've spent a lot of time learning to understand what causes that "weird stuff" and how to correct or avoid it. Time well spent.