PDF files size

CenterofDesign

Very much a known issue.  I just wish it was not.  I usually print at 600 dpi and thought I could reduce the file size by going to 300 dpi.  Nope the file size actually went up.  Go figure.  Hoping it will be a priority fix for X14.

Pdf size has been a big problem for me also on large jobs...

I am using a program called Small PDF ($12/mo) that seems to do a good job of compressing the file.

I also found that using 144dpi is fine for printing working drawings and I can not tell the difference on D size prints from 300dpi. (have not tried it for renderings)

Small PDF also allows you to compress two files a day (so they say) on its web site for free (if you don't mind uploading/downloading to the web.

Eric

2 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Just for fun, I opened and printed the  same layout in versions x7, x9, x10, x11, x12 & x13, to see the variations, version to version set to 600 dpi, the image below shows the results:

What is your secret David ?   It does not seem anyone else is getting results like that.

I just printed 1 page with the "Chief Architect Save As PDF" set to 600 dpi. and it came out at 6,868KB.  The page contained only two image files.

13 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

What is your secret David ?   It does not seem anyone else is getting results like that.

I just printed 1 page with the "Chief Architect Save As PDF" set to 600 dpi. and it came out at 6,868KB.  The page contained only two image files.

Just for fun, I opened and printed the  same layout in versions x7, x9, x10, x11, x12 & x13, to see the variations, version to version set to 600 dpi, the image below shows the results:

DJP

Attached are the PDF files I created in 600dpi for a client many years ago in X1. You can see the PDF's and you can see my PC specs. I used nothing except the provided "Chief Print to PDF" app everyone gets.

x12.pdf x13.pdf

x10.pdf x11.pdf x7.pdf x9.pdf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Attached are the X12 and X13 PDF files I created in 600dpi for a client many years ago in X1. You can see the PDF's and you can see my PC specs. I used nothing except the provided "Chief Print to PDF" app everyone gets.

Ok then that is interesting.  It looks like they have upgraded to Qt 5.15.1    It maybe does very well with straight forward vector layouts like your particular example but not as well as previous versions with images.

Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Images like on a Coverpage could be 2-3mb each easily depending on the screen size/resolution, especially if they are Screen grabs and imported as Images, at least in older versions the Send to Layout Image direct was pretty low Quality (72dpi?) it seemed.

I am not sure about X13 but in earlier Version the PDF Module was done by a 3rd Party ( the only Code not Chief's AFAIAA) , so maybe that is a factor? 

M.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:32 PM, DavidJPotter said:

Just for fun, I opened and printed the  same layout in versions x7, x9, x10, x11, x12 & x13, to see the variations, version to version set to 600 dpi, Arch "C", Chief save as PDF,

the image below shows the results:

DJP

PDF.PNG

Hey David, just for the fun of it, try repeating your PDF experiment using Chief's PDF writer. Then post the results. This ain't apples to apples if the issue is with the writer that's in X13.-BB

Also, where's Demot's response to this? As SSA members, we should be getting period messages letting us know about know issues so we don't blindly plod thru wondering why goof things are happening. 

Also, back in the pre x-version days, I could put 2.5 house files on a 1.3 MB floppy disk!!!

On 9/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, Chopsaw said:

Very much a known issue.  I just wish it was not.  I usually print at 600 dpi and thought I could reduce the file size by going to 300 dpi.  Nope the file size actually went up.  Go figure.  Hoping it will be a priority fix for X14.

If we have to wait for x14, we should be getting a rebate on our SSA! They made V9.5 upgrade just to get Home and Garden revenue but 9.5 really gave us regular users no benefit from V9.

11x17 bachmans heck permit plan revised 995.pdf

On 9/24/2021 at 3:52 PM, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

Attached are the PDF files I created in 600dpi for a client many years ago in X1. You can see the PDF's and you can see my PC specs. I used nothing except the provided "Chief Print to PDF" app everyone gets.

x12.pdf 918.46 kB · 7 downloads x13.pdf 442.73 kB · 14 downloads

x10.pdf 832.87 kB · 3 downloads x11.pdf 918.99 kB · 2 downloads x7.pdf 788.24 kB · 5 downloads x9.pdf 787.01 kB · 6 downloads

David your test file has no 3d or color work on it. The files we are talking about are presentation drawings. Most of us no longer produce simple line b&w.

I'm including a clip from a file that was pdf'ed in x12 last month and needed edits this am. the new file is 2x's plus larger than x12. I hope the powers to be can find time to fix this before the next pottery or sculpture libraries.

541096723_Screenshot2021-09-29114937.thumb.jpg.94bdb2370238e3c5b3d2d4bca754995a.jpg

Edited by DKDesigns
added pdf for reference

4 hours ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Hey David, just for the fun of it, try repeating your PDF experiment using Chief's PDF writer. Then post the results. This ain't apples to apples if the issue is with the writer that's in X13.-BB

He did use Chief's PDF Writer according to his post above.....( #6 ) though I assume not much in the File looking at the PDF Size.

I just Printed a 8 page Color HOA Color Swatch PDF for a Client and Chief's PDF Driver made the File 6.6mb,

so as a test, 2nd time, I Printed it using TurboPDF4 (Foxit 9.7) and the File was 2.2mb....... 1/3rd the size....

by Eye I can't tell what the difference is......

M.

22 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

He did use Chief's PDF Writer according to his post above.....( #6 ) though I assume not much in the File looking at the PDF Size.

I just Printed a 8 page Color HOA Color Swatch PDF for a Client and Chief's PDF Driver made the File 6.6mb,

so as a test, 2nd time, I Printed it using TurboPDF4 (Foxit 9.5) and the File was 2.2mb....... 1/3rd the size....

by Eye I can't tell what the difference is......

M.

Yea, I noticed and stand corrected and apologies to David for that (I miss read and thought he did it using Foxit). Interestingly, I just created pdfs of a 26 sheet layout with lots of 3d  that came out at 34 mb using Chief's writer and actually came out larger (46 mb) using a free version of PDF995 v21.1!

My co-worker created an 18 plus mb pdf using Chief's writer on one of his projects and it was only 6.5 mb using PDF995. So, we're perplexed by the two opposite results.

16 minutes ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Yea, I noticed and stand corrected and apologies to David for that (I miss read and thought he did it using Foxit). Interestingly, I just created pdfs of a 26 sheet layout with lots of 3d  that came out at 34 mb using Chief's writer and actually came out larger (46 mb) using a free version of PDF995 v21.1!

My co-worker created an 18 plus mb pdf using Chief's writer on one of his projects and it was only 6.5 mb using PDF995. So, we're perplexed by the two opposite results.

I tried Bullzip as well since it is still installed and it's PDF is 2.5mb vs 6.6mb from Chief PDF vs 2.2mb from TurboPDF4 ( actually Foxit 9.7 apparently) , so I think Chief needs to make a deal with Foxit :)   ( like TurboCAD has)

M.