Layer sets vs. Saved Plan Views

steve_stuart

1 minute ago, steve_stuart said:

and the light dawns....

Thanks again

Yeah these things are funny because as I'm trying to explain the concepts I realize I barely get it sometimes as Chief can just scramble a brain given even the smallest opportunity.  I bet we see some more changes with Plan Views that will make them even more powerful in the future.

I agree that "Active Defaults" can be somewhat confusing.  What it really means is that "None of your saved Default Sets match your currently selected defaults below". 

Technically, this is not a problem because Default Sets are completely optional and should be thought of as just a quick way of changing all of your selected defaults at once instead of one at a time.

• Upvote 1

I have been using chief for a few years. Just recently wrapped my head around Saved Plan Views. I feel like an idiot for not using them earlier. 

Chief is really like an onion. Every time you peel off a layer you cry a little bit for not realizing something sooner.

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

I have tried a couple saved plan views....ehh....was my view. It's just not the way I work, but I fear that I am going to have to try and use them more as my beloved Anno Sets are going to be phased out.

Joey,

I sure hope that's not the case.  I use Saved Plan Views in conjunction with Default Sets.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I have tried a couple saved plan views....ehh....was my view. It's just not the way I work, but I fear that I am going to have to try and use them more as my beloved Anno Sets are going to be phased out.

Looks like the term Annotation Set has already been phased out and replaced by 'Default Sets' but the functionality of the Default Sets mimics Anno Sets behavior so I think we can still use Anno Sets just under another name/term. Confusing again, but I think perhaps Chief discovered the potential power of Saved Plan Views and is going to leverage that power for future function in future versions but it looks like Anno Sets will live to fight another day, currently disguised as Default Sets.

7 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

My understanding is that the Default Sets are equivalent to the Anno Sets...?

They are. Anno Sets is now referred to as DEFAULT SETS, all the same just a different name. I hope saved plan views doesn't take over. I know everyone is crazy about them, but as I said, that isn't the way I work so I find little use for them, other than of course having to keep track of a 100 different plan view in my project browser.

7 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

They are. Anno Sets is now referred to as DEFAULT SETS, all the same just a different name. I hope saved plan views doesn't take over. I know everyone is crazy about them, but as I said, that isn't the way I work so I find little use for them, other than of course having to keep track of a 100 different plan view in my project browser.

Curious Joey, and in no way would I challenge your preferred work flow but are you saying (typing) above that you have 100 different plan views in your project browser but prefer not to use them? Could you explain? Thanks

I'm saying I don't want to have to keep up with all the different plan views. One click to change my Anno (Default) Set and work. I don't want to have to go and find my electrical plan when I need to work on it...one click...working on electrical plan.

I know there are some that now swear by plan views, and that's all well and good for them, I simply have no use for them.

1 minute ago, joey_martin said:

I'm saying I don't want to have to keep up with all the different plan views. One click to change my Anno (Default) Set and work. I don't want to have to go and find my electrical plan when I need to work on it...one click...working on electrical plan.

I know there are some that now swear by plan views, and that's all well and good for them, I simply have no use for them.

Thanks for taking the time and totally understand anyone's work flow that works for them.

6 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

I didn't know there were separate controls and a drop down list for default (Anno) sets. I've added to my tool bar. Seems as good a work flow as any. Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Upvote 1

We  might all be talking about the same thing,  one click and I am working on electric plan,  one click I am working on foundation plan.  This is what I did with Anno Sets.

This is what I use.....  The "P" which is called the SAVED PLAN VIEW CONTROL.

1613582180_ScreenShot2020-06-11at8_12_17AM.thumb.png.4ed9cdf18a5c028a17e94a7fe06e3ab4.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 8.12.11 AM.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

I was late to the SPV party since I had the Annoset system down pat and felt the exact same as you.  Now having spent a little extra time setting them up (that's the hurdle) there really is no difference in time to to switch... it's same as switching between Annosets.  If you use your Annosets to set up your SPV's then the extra time is minimal but there-in is the power, because there are some extra things that you can (if you so desire) have pre-arranged when you switch your SPV vs. an Annoset.

1 minute ago, joey_martin said:

But a question @dshall...because you are a SAM guy, don't you have to go back and clean up all those saved plan view since you use the same plan file over and over?

Nope,  I use them over and over and I even create more as I need them.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, dshall said:

We  might all be talking about the same thing,  one click and I am working on electric plan,  one click I am working on foundation plan.  This is what I did with Anno Sets.

This is what I use.....  The "P" which is called the SAVED PLAN VIEW CONTROL.

1613582180_ScreenShot2020-06-11at8_12_17AM.thumb.png.4ed9cdf18a5c028a17e94a7fe06e3ab4.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 8.12.11 AM.png

This is my workflow now. I had the annoset workflow similar to Joey before Saved Plan Views (SPV), but the addition of saving the zoom setting and, more importantly, the floor in SPV's is much better.