Layer sets vs. Saved Plan Views

steve_stuart

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

There's an option in the edit plan view dbx that might work for you?

Ya, Dermot apprised us of that yesterday.   The option doesn't show when accessing from the toolbar so we didn't notice it.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Like floor level, zoom level, reference layers, pony wall display, couple other items. The floor level thing is very cool for my work flow.

I am hoping that they will soon incorporate tying different toolbar setups to SPV's as well. 

• Upvote 1

Like I said, too many ways to skin the same cat here. 

Maybe when it’s time to send something to layout, Chief should prompt us with the choice to create a new unique and independent saved plan view with the current active default settings? 

Then if you try to alter anything in that Saved Plan View in the  future, you’ll get another prompt warning you that this will have an effect on your layout view?

I personally only use Saved Plan Views when I need multiple reference sets otherwise I’m using Anno Sets (now called Default Sets)

This way I know right away if I’ve inadvertently screwed something up because the Anno set will say “using active defaults” at which point I’ll switch it back to the proper Anno Set. 

18 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

otherwise I’m using Anno Sets (now called Default Sets)

This way I know right away if I’ve inadvertently screwed something up because the Anno set will say “using active defaults” at which point I’ll switch it back to the proper Anno Set. 

That can also work with SPVs and is the reason I still use Default Sets. ALL of my SPVs use Default Sets.

I have the Default Sets drop-down on my toolbar. Like you said, if I inadvertently change something it will switch to Active Defaults cluing me that something changed.

It's easily fixed too. Just tap on the SPV in the SPV drop-down and all settings are restored.

Another thing I like about linking the SPV to a Default Set is one DS might serve multiple SPVs. It's easy to set all the defaults for a SPV using a DS. Of course, you can also do a "Save As" to a SPV and accomplish the same thing.

On 6/11/2020 at 8:31 AM, joey_martin said:

I use that one already

image.thumb.png.5f28bf81af875eaa92a032cd30ca3949.png

Your conversation with Larry got mixed up 1/2 way through - he thought you were asking about the Annotation Set Dropdown ( D.Sets now) he had just added back to the toolbar in X12 ( removed by default )  , the Saved Plan View Control Dropdown is a totally different Dropdown , note the 'P' icon on left of dropdown similar to the 'L'" for layersets or 'D' for dimensions , this makes it as easy as switching Annosets eg straight to electrical or Roof Plan or Framing, AND straight to the floor you want if setup that way.

Personally I use it like Chris does ( post above ) with dedicated Annosets and Layerset setup for each SPV  (Saved Plan View)

image.thumb.png.59dc95713f85395041ce87c161c82650.png

• Upvote 1