buildinthevoid

Changing Wall Height

Hey newbie here, I can't seem to figure out how to change the height of a specific wall. When I double click the wall I want to change, I move down to components and change the wall size formula but no changes seem to be made. I want it to be a precise measurement and adjusting the wall manually won't let me get it to the exact measurement I need. Any help would be much appreciated

Capture.thumb.PNG.d3311e3c3a2af36b57636cdc0afb2855.PNGCapture1.thumb.PNG.b3186e693949d3c8ab5d1b6eb9a3ef1f.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.b120dbf6db2711852691c9075f161641.PNG

There is likely a better way to go about what you are doing but not knowing the reason or understanding the structure I can't comment at the moment.

If you want to go about it your way in a more precise manner you can grab the top control handle as you have illustrated in the first screen shot and as you are pulling the wall top up or down hit your tab key and it will allow you to enter an exact measurement for adjustment.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Chieftalk.

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

There is likely a better way to go about what you are doing but not knowing the reason or understanding the structure I can't comment at the moment.

If you want to go about it your way in a more precise manner you can grab the top control handle as you have illustrated in the first screen shot and as you are pulling the wall top up or down hit your tab key and it will allow you to enter an exact measurement for adjustment.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Chieftalk.

Thanks a lot I didn't know of that option

dragging walls should only be used when necessary

doing it wrong can really mess up the plan

use the room settings to change wall heights

or make the wall a half wall and then set accordingly

watch the videos on the various techniques for setting wall heights and ceiling heights

Lew

Unless you have no other way to control a wall height...then grab it and pull it down.  However, this is not a very good practice.  

Rooms control wall heights...if possible create a "room" using invisible walls and then change the room height.  This of course will change the ceiling height also...which you may not want...but, you can just adjust the ceiling height in the room DBX.  My two cents...

3 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Rooms control wall heights..

Placement of roofs can also control the wall height.

Just now, tommy1 said:

Placement of roofs can also control the wall height.

You are correct!  Hadn't thought of that...

Changes made on the components panel do not usually affect the 3D model.  These changes would typically be used to modify the materials list or schedule information.

As a general rule, adjusting the room's floor and ceiling is the best approach.  When you have a particular wall that is not being used to define a room, a half-wall (or solid rail) works well.  For most other cases, editing the wall shape in an elevation view is the approach that works best.