X11 Rope Light cannot connect to switch

CheifTexan

I have tried everything but can't seem to figure out how to connect rope light to a switch. In X11 the rope light dropdown was added to simply draw rope lights.

Before this I used a light tube and it would connect without an issue.

Most that look at an electrical diagram will understand that it is switched, but I have at least 2 clients ask "why a 3 gang and only 2 connections"

I searched far and wide and can't seem to find anything regarding "rope light" which is the name on the dropdown.

Any ideas?

Thanks to both of you, didn't think of that, as its an obvious bug to not be able to connect it.

I didn't find that thread because its not on the first 2 pages of search returns and obvious in any way.

Maybe if there was a way to actually take a thread and tag it with key words such as this, that would make the search more functional.

I don't know of a rope or strip light that uses line voltage AND I've alter the actual light properties so they work better in renderings.

I ended up making them to sizes which is how I order/specify them nowadays (actual rope lights belong in another century ;->  then converting to an electric symbol-options switched. Then can connect them as needed but I connect to a transformer and change the line between it and the light to LV.

Strip lights.png

Yeah, none do, but for an electrical plan when you put outdoor lights, and link them together, the vendor obliviously knows its going to be low voltage.

That is the case here.

If CA creates a rope light tool, they ought to know that people will connect it, and not expect to take the time to build/use another tool/item to connect it.

It's like telling an electrician "I want rope lighting under the cabinet" I don't have to tell them, "I want rope lighting with the correct resistors for the distance/number of LED's and a voltage converter box to rectify the voltage from line voltage to low voltage"

If I was designing circuit boards (I did that in a past life) yeah, makes sense, but here no.

Just like I don't create a symbol to say the supply line size for a sink, the standard acceptable size is used.

1 hour ago, CheifTexan said:

It's like telling an electrician "I want rope lighting under the cabinet

If I don't tell them it's low voltage they run 110 tails to each location, have had that even when LV was shown (because he didn't  like LV). I just think the job is to draw what's supposed to be, 110v, 220v, LV. 

If you don't want to bother you can just draw the light, select, convert to symbol-electric, optons:light, switched. Done, it will now connect, no extra lights or layers. 

just draw the light, select, convert to symbol-electric, optons:light, switched. Done, it will now connect

Mark:

good idea

how does it appear in the schedule then ?

I assume it can be edited to state LV ?

Lew

Do you mean LED "Rope" or "Tape" light. Rope lights are available in line and low voltage while Tape lights are low voltage only(requires driver/transformer).

https://www.flexfireleds.com/what-is-the-difference-between-rope-lights-and-led-strip-lights/

Wiring is going to vary according to a number of factors. If using a low voltage system there are limits as to how long a run of LED's can be supported by the driver/transformer, the other consideration is where will the transformer be located, at the point where the light run starts or in some other remote location and finally is the driver a plug in type or hardwired. For these I think Marks method depicts the devices and wiring accurately. Line voltage from switch to driver/transformer location and the low voltage from the driver/transformer to the low voltage lights.

Concerning the type of wire used for the runs that's the responsibility of the Electrician to ensure that the wire is capable of carrying the anticipated loads and meets all other code requirements.

3 hours ago, lbuttery said:

how does it appear in the schedule then

Shows up with whatever you name it in the description so yes can call out LV but there is not an option to designate the symbol for LV. Can add a simple macro to an OIP to read out the total length if need be.

Forgot to mention:

After creating symbol you still have to bring it back in (replace from library is not available for the original) but can use centering option before deleting the original,

then you need to connect to it.

Once converted to a symbol you can no longer drag the ends to change the length. Instead you need to use the DBX.

Can't use plan or temp dimensions to change length of either one.

Dimension will snap to the center if it's converted to a symbol, to the ends if made using the rope light tool. If rendering matters you will also have to change the light data.

Once converted the symbol can be copied and rotated to use vertically.

All reasons why I just made a fistful to use as needed (the electrician prefer fixed plug and play units, they really dislike playing with the tape)

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, DrewFenton said:

I was able to use the 'create a symbol' technique mentioned here, and then connect a switch.  I noticed there appears to be line voltage options for this now.

120V LED Light Strips: Long run strips for indoors and out! - LEDSupply Blog

This was specific to X11 and has been fixed.

56 minutes ago, DrewFenton said:

Good to know.  I have x12 but still can't connect a rope light to a switch.  I have tried in a tray ceiling as well as a stand alone light.  Is there a secret to it?

Chief's Auto/Dropdown Rope Light is not switched by default  but you can make your own.......

1. Draw a 4'-6' length with the Auto Tool
  2. Select the new Rope Light and use the Convert to Symbol Icon on the Edit Toolbar ( bottom of screen , Last Icon )
  3. Choose Electrical category type
  4. Name as needed ie Rope Light 110v Switched and check advanced Box (Ok)
  5. On Option Tab set Switched ( not switch) and 110v Checkboxes
  6. Set Mount option as desired above* eg under Wall Mounted Cabinets or on wall etc. (Ok)
  7. Place back into Plan --- it should now accept a connection to a switch.

* Floor Mounted is fine even though shown X'd out in pic , you just need to remember to open it and set the required Height.

image.thumb.png.41156957c4fb8fbc3e65f6d3b83b7040.png  image.thumb.png.4ec29668c98e3b269aaf9a2be93ee3bd.png

You can connect rope lights using electrical connections without having to convert them into symbols in X13.

Rope Light Electrical Connections. Draw electrical connections from switches to rope lights to complete circuits and report run distances in schedules.

For the full list of What's New in X13, see this pdf:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x13-new-features.pdf