Stairs.... when will they work?

dshall

@David, the top of the stairs are partially bumping out and showing spindles and different handrail location where the stairs start crossing the garage wall.

I can't figure out how it does that particular action but it has to do with where the wall on the first floor stops.  I extended the wall into the garage and it worked appropriately.  If I made those walls invisible, it went right back to the spindles showing and the handrail bumped out.  Maybe with that little additional information someone more knowledgeable than me could step in.

Good luck guys.

I pointed this problem out to Dermot at the UGM year before last but it didin't get fixed then and I don't expect it ever will.  At least we got the "jumping stairs" fixed.

Unless CA breaks the connection between walls, stairs and handrails we will continue to have have this sort of nonsense. 

We need to be able to specify and/or over-ride the locations and details of guards and handrails independent of adjacent walls.  It's really that simple.

• Upvote 3

I was thinking it was to do with the split level but maybe not , but the Garage wall is causing the issue somehow.......

there is some strangeness in the 3D views , looks like z-fighting in standard view , vector view is strange too .... see below.... wall definition issue?

Capture11.JPG

Capture12.JPG

45 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I was thinking it was to do with the split level but maybe not , but the Garage wall is causing the issue somehow.......

there is some strangeness in the 3D views , looks like z-fighting in standard view , vector view is strange too .... see below.... wall definition issue?

Capture11.JPG

Capture12.JPG

Mick,  I did get the z fighting on the plan that you are looking at.  I had done a save as for that plan and evidently whatever I did with new plan fixed the z fighting..... I can't explain it but it is all good now.

NYSTIE 1c z fighting for mick.plan

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Unless CA breaks the connection between walls, stairs and handrails we will continue to have have this sort of nonsense. 

THIS is exactly what they need to do.  If they want to keep stairs as they have it in the app, at least they can give us part options to assemble more complex stairs.  However, Scotts stairs aren't even all that complex.

Yes, I would just like to be able to:

• select the Handrail parameters (style, size, side(s), offset, etc) - Handrails are just a single piece, attached either to a wall or to the top or side of the "Guard"
  • select the "Guard" parameters (style, size, side(s), offset, etc) - Guards are essentially "Railing Walls" which can even be solid half walls.
  • set a path in plan for each of those to follow. 

Then have the Handrail(s) and Guards(s) be created as separate objects which could be edited independently.

• Upvote 2

Scott,

I can confirm that if you extend the side walls out into the garage, it fixes the balustrade at the top of the stairs.

I guess the walls constrain the stairs, otherwise they build wider at the top and cause the rail to follow.

And yes, if you make those stub walls invisible, the stairs revert - not sure why.

New Image_125.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2018 at 2:37 PM, dshall said:

Mick,  I did get the z fighting on the plan that you are looking at.  I had done a save as for that plan and evidently whatever I did with new plan fixed the z fighting..... I can't explain it but it is all good now.

NYSTIE 1c z fighting for mick.plan

Hi Scott , had a minute to have a play , and it is fixable though this shouldn't be needed....

1.) I added 3 walls and marked them "no room definition"

Capture55.thumb.JPG.d0087c9bdd1a702016ba7beb7d008067.JPG

2.) in Section Views I pulled the bottom of the Walls up and added a P. Solid on the slope to fill in the Bottom

Capture56.thumb.JPG.75c88caa8c861a54509f2dd6c643b9bc.JPG

3.) at the top of the stairs I deleted the Railing Wall and Doorway (Auto Stairwell?) and replaced it with an invisible wall to get the Open Below Room instead.

Capture57.thumb.JPG.7c86354b40387d8b657f3dc87b2c6b2c.JPG

you can see in the pic that the Full height walls are still not joining properly with the stairwell walls (see light patch on wall Corner that looks like z-fighting but I am not sure it is ) which are only 1/2 height walls (3D Polyline when selected) but I'm not sure you can do much about that as CA seems to have issues with Walls that meet at different levels eg around Porches etc.

M.

Scott, I was playing for a bit and got this fixed pretty much. Not sure if you needed that wall projection at the bottom of the stairs. I haven't checked other things if this changes affected anything else because my old lady is chasing me to take her shopping. If needed I'll play a little more when I get back.

I hope this helps.

NYSTIE_fix.plan5b547a647fdba_image1.thumb.jpg.2dd3836ff82e95639a93db96d1d594ef.jpg

I remember there was a huge change to stairs somewhere in X3 or X4, I don't recall which.  Some basic functions were added that I think allowed more flexible control of heights.  Not near as much as needed, but at the time it was an improvement.  Later we got break lines and tread/railings drawn on plan.  Small improvements.

I recall somewhere someone at chief saying that the stair tool went back to the earliest code for chief architect, and was a rats nest of crazy that the developers were scratching their heads over.  Sounds like they cleaned it up a bit, but I'm thinking it would be better for them to start from scratch with a new stair tool from the ground up.  These stairs are seriously lacking in features I don't even know where to begin.  Ah well, I guess I'll just go and do another 3D VR walkthrough and it'll be all ok...  (does anyone use that?)

On 7/22/2018 at 5:41 AM, Greg_NY61 said:

Scott, I was playing for a bit and got this fixed pretty much. Not sure if you needed that wall projection at the bottom of the stairs. I haven't checked other things if this changes affected anything else because my old lady is chasing me to take her shopping. If needed I'll play a little more when I get back.

I hope this helps.

NYSTIE_fix.plan5b547a647fdba_image1.thumb.jpg.2dd3836ff82e95639a93db96d1d594ef.jpg

Hi Greg,  thanks for looking into this....  it looks good in 3d,  however the railing doesnot show up in plan view.....  frustrating......  maybe one day soon the stairs will work better....

5b565786c9b77_ScreenShot2018-07-23at3_30_23PM.thumb.png.75e6d0fa6b34d9179ae482b7bdc87d31.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dshall said:

Hi Greg,  thanks for looking into this....  it looks good in 3d,  however the railing doesnot show up in plan view.....  frustrating......  maybe one day soon the stairs will work better....

5b565786c9b77_ScreenShot2018-07-23at3_30_23PM.thumb.png.75e6d0fa6b34d9179ae482b7bdc87d31.png

I didn't look at Greg's Plan , so not sure what the issue is but it seems to work okay in Mine ...sorry should of attached plan but figured you didn't need it earlier...

11.thumb.JPG.3898f531854165e2a944dc151dec3711.JPG                                                           NYSTIE_1c_MHD.plan

34 minutes ago, Greg_NY61 said:

Ok Scott,

This totally blew over me, did it 100 times. You have to go to stair DBX and un-check Default under Plan Display and put check mark Draw Rails and they will show up on the plan.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.0fc38e74bdce5a3dc3738555fe19a219.JPG

Capture2.thumb.JPG.af6ee545f62424833917722121cbc380.JPG

Of course,  my bad,  thanks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1