Delete Key / Backspace fiasco

limitless8

So Chiefers good day to all!  Something interesting has been happening to me lately, been doing some x10 playaround, and whenever in plan view or 3d view, whatever I choose and want to delete, well...I press as per usual the delete key or backspace, it closes the views and asks me if I want to save the file???  Checked my hotkeys, nothing....funnily enough when I choose an object and second click, it shows me that deleting = del???  Any advice?

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Might sound like a silly question, but just in case...

You do realize that backspace and delete are 2 different keys right?

Of course I do what kind of a question is that? )  We can agree that they both can serve the same purpose right?  I know when you type you usually use backspace etc, but previously in chief both of them would do just fine to delete an object or light or anything...now it doesn't matter which I press, each time all views close and it asks me whether or not I want to save?  I tried a search and saw back in 2006 somebody had a similar dilemma but nobody really answered

5 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

We can agree that they both can serve the same purpose right?

Yes and no.  In Chief, they both work to Delete objects.  In many other apps, only the Delete key will delete objects, and in most word processing scenarios, the Delete key removes characters in front of the cursor and Backspace removes characters behind the cursor.  Anyway, I digress.  Like I said, they both work for me.  I wonder if perhaps its a system setting you inadvertently messed with.  Or, do you maybe run any other hotkey or macro recording software?

3 hours ago, limitless8 said:

So Chiefers good day to all!  Something interesting has been happening to me lately, been doing some x10 playaround, and whenever in plan view or 3d view, whatever I choose and want to delete, well...I press as per usual the delete key or backspace, it closes the views and asks me if I want to save the file???  Checked my hotkeys, nothing....funnily enough when I choose an object and second click, it shows me that deleting = del???  Any advice?

Yes, this is still a bug IMO, thought it would be fixed by now, but still occurs for me.  Not sure what is the pattern leading to this.  If I'm in the middle of some high brain consumption work, I'll hit 'cancel' and keep going, but it will reoccur on every subsequent delete.  Only way out is to save, close and reopen.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

X10 Trial, Full or "Found" on the Internet?  this is a symptom of the last....

I have to disagree.  Licenced users do get this behavior still.

2 hours ago, limitless8 said:

Nope checked everything from macro (which I dont use) to ht keys...tried the previous version of chief and both keys work fine...go back to the newer and boom pain in teh ass...

I just tested my X8, build 18.3.2.2x64 and the backspace key is deleting correctly.

Can you reload ?

3 hours ago, JJohnson said:

I just tested my X8, build 18.3.2.2x64 and the backspace key is deleting correctly.

Can you reload ?

His X8 is working JJ , it is X10 that he is having issues with....

Thank you for all the replies!  Bugs persist in every system and app sadly, and I guess I'll be waiting for updates.  For example on a recent win10 update, all of a sudden a previously non-existent drive showed up and always says its low on memory (it's a hidden partition of drive C with a backup of win10, or so I think), but it was never visible until an update happened...So **** happens, I guess i'll just wait it out.

What happens when you select and object to delete and use the Delete button on the Edit toolbar?

It looks like the Close All Views command is being initiated.

I know you said that you checked the hotkeys...

But, what shortcut keys do you have assigned to Close All Views in the Customise Hotkeys dbx?

Is it the backspace key or the left arrow key?

If you assign the left arrow key to Close All Views, it will override it's normal backspace function and result in the behaviour you are describing.  

One can't ignore so many contributions that try to help, great.   BUT, here are the facts:

• Many have reported this behavior, since X9, maybe even before
  • Someone hinted that a counterfeit version of X10 is the issue
  • And then, one of the most respected member of this board, in a video he produced, inadvertently replicates this issue while explaining some CA procedure (is he using a hacked version of CA?)
  • This delete issue happens to me, but not always; once it starts, it will repeat, until I close/reopen the project
  • The difficulty reporting this to CA is: how do I demonstrate this issue, it's not reproducible at will
  • Many of you have suggested settings (key mapping, hotkeys,...)

It starts happening after some level of activity on a project, so that pretty well eliminates settings IMO.

Yeah I agree with cv2702, it doesn't happen right away, sometiimes after 10 minutes other times after an hour of working on a project.  Glennw, I checked my hotkeybs dbx and seems I had nothing assigned to close all views, I will try to assign backspace and see maybe if that will leave the delete button alone...if not I guess I'll just patiently save close and reopen....

Bugs persist in all versions, I've had bugs in X8 where for example ray traces were going good, and then I add a couch, ray trace and none of hte lights work, the whole scene is as if it's dark and has black squares all over the place...I delete the newly added piece, problem persists...but here's the kick...only in that room, all other rooms trace normally...luckily I always save multiple copies so I had to go back and ray trace that room without that addition...and the question is, if it was that one chair how could it **** up the scene soooo bad? I made it matte just to make sure it wasn't hte properties...yet and still nada...so yeah bugs always come about

This delete issue happens to me, but not always; once it starts, it will repeat, until I close/reopen the project

could be a "memory leak"

somewhere "bad" coding is allowing data to overwrite an area it shouldn't

you perform a certain task and the leak occurs

this then leads to corruption

just a guess from a former programmer

review the video that experienced the problem

and see if you can replicate the steps or tasks that lead to the problem

if so, send to CA's tech support

If not, try paying attention or writing down what you are doing prior to problem appearing

then let tech support know

while it only happens on win 10 it could still be a Chief programming issue

or it might be a windows issue ?

Lew

2 hours ago, limitless8 said:

it doesn't happen right away, sometiimes after 10 minutes other times after an hour of working on a project

This my or may not be related but I've got a support ticket with a different issue that does not occur right away.

What I'm seeing is objects on hidden and sometimes hidden& locked layers are selected when working. Support has been able to reproduce one aspect of it with one layer but not the rest. I spent some time trying to reproduce it and record without success. I could reproduce it, just not record any cause.

One thing that I noticed doing that which "might" be useful was-I'd use undo a couple of times as soon as it started, hoping to revert to the cause, started the recording. BUT it would not reproduce. Hitting undo appeared to make the issue go away. Dunno?

I had begun to run recording full time when I had to do a restore to fix a printer issue. That put me back to build 20.2.3.3 where I don't have any problems. I've left it there for now since I'm a bit slammed and the problem made things close to unworkable for me. (BTW I don't get your delete issue on that build) Depending on work load I may move up to 20.2.3.54 to try recording again sometime next week. I'll also check to see if your issue shows then too. If I can get a decent recording for either I'll send that in and revert to prior build until a patch shows up.

The "Bug" is much Older than X9 but effects very few people , and has always been thought to be due to the inbuilt anti piracy security in CA ( denied by Dan and Dermot ) due to the fact it mainly effects CA Users when using a hacked .exe , in that "world" it was/is? known as the 50 Click Bug.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?55759-CAX3-obruptly-closes-when-deleting

As far as I know, we have never had anyone report this particular issue to technical support.

I have seen occasional reports on the forums where people have suggested that "hacked" versions of the program can do this. 

The fact that no one has reported this to us leads me to believe that this is not actually a "bug" in our program.  If this was the result of a bug in our internal security system, then it must be very rare because someone would have reported it by now.

If you are using a legitimate version of one of our products, then please contact our technical support department for further assistance.  If you are using a "hacked" version, then you should stop using it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have solved the issue, I fooled around with hotkey settings and applied functions to both backspace and delete, and the problem has gone away.  On a side not I'm happy to see wolf/sub-zero have finally joined the chief wagon, I remember sending them emails as many did to get them to do it.  Thanks again guys for all the help!