Anyone Send 'Live' Elevations To Layout?

HumbleChief

I can see I worded the title wrong and have edited this post (again). I remember a frenzied demand for live elevations (sent to Layout) and after they were included I think in X8 I gave them a try and watched my system grind to a jerky, slow death and never used them again. Tried them (sending live elevations to Layout) the other day to show a colleague and same thing, slowed my system down to a crawl and probably won't use them again. Does anyone have much luck (speed) using them (sending elevations live to Layout)? Or are they a nice feature that simply doesn't work in real world design?

I use this all the time Larry. It's a great feature, but as you pointed out, the process isn't exactly something that you want to sit around and watch.

I usually hit the update tab, get up from the desk, and find something to do for half an hour.

I use live elevation on perspective views. It works great. ....meaning no noticeable slow down.

Just a hunch, but maybe live elevations work much faster all depending on what kind of view was sent to the layout. Standard Camera (colors and textures) seem very fast, if not immediate.

Line drawings or Vector View ...agreed, not fast. Maybe because the drawing process involves assembling a much greater number of lines and shapes.

36 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

I use all live views, elevation and perspective, but as Scott does I have updates set to be manual. Its the updates that slow things down.

Is it possible to use live elevation views and updates set to manual? Don't live views require no updates by definition? Oh I see, that's how little I use the feature, I see 'update on demand' with live views. Seems to defeat the purpose of live views but again, obviously quite ignorant about the subject.

I use live updates for prelims and switch to on demand for final drawings b/c sometimes, ( don't know why) some don't update always, when I have both the plan and layout open all the time.  If I close the plan ,and re-open, the layout always updates.

Yep,  I use live elevations and cross sections.  This has really sped up my production and accuracy.  As was mentioned, use the update feature sparingly, since it can take some time to update larger elevations.  I usually avoid building out all the framing (joists, trusses, walls etc) and save 3D framing members for critical structural elements or when I need to make sure my load paths through the building work.   Having the entire model build out all the framing will slow down the plan a lot. 

Wow what a crappy thread title, so sorry. The topic (or me) seems to be a bit confused by the tile. Live elevations and sections can be used whether or not they are sent to Layout or not. Using live elevations and sections is indeed the best (for me) way I've found to create an accurate model but when sending to Layout I've been sending plot lines, more out of old habits than anything else. Never understood the live views to Layout but maybe better now even though I asked a different, badly worded question.

I always send plot lines or CAD details. I guess, like Larry, just because of old habits. I usually will open the cameras I am using and when I "think" I am done I close the camera; it always ask me if I want to update the layout view. That seems to work for me. I haven't even tried the live views option - not sure of the advantage if it is so slow you can't really use it in the real world. Nice concept though.

6 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I always send pr ca lines or CAD details. I guess, like Larry, just because of old habits. I usually will open the cameras I am using and when I "think" I am done I close the camera; it always ask me if I want to update the layout view. That seems to work for me. I haven't even tried the live views option - not sure of the advantage if it is so slow you can't really use it in the real world. Nice concept though/

Are you kidding sir? You are saying "one by one" as we used to do in the old days When there wasn't a blessed one click layout updating button. believe me, if you are still in the process of opening elevation/section in layout and just again spend ...Micro..../seconds waiting for plot line generation etc. I don't believe you, but if that is the way you go with it, then you are missing the very pleasing intelligent tool that was provided on X8! Just click on it and everything is up to date and in confimance with all the progress you made on the current plan. Or am I missing some thing or ... How would you know that you have finally opened your camera and didn't update plan view after closing it? Why worry trying to remember whether you are updated or not. We usually work on plan view and on the second window by watching the perspective/orthographic view. What ever it is easy for you, is great, but it is worth remembering why this tool was priorized?  As far as I can tell, it was simply not to bother about your layout update status, once you are set up. Just a one click and done. I think it is great improvement.

7 minutes ago, yusuf-333 said:

Are you kidding sir? You are saying "one by one" as we used to do in the old days When there wasn't a blessed one click layout updating button.

No, No. I guess I wasn't very clear. I don't have auto update on. If I need to update I "one-click-it" and done.