Chief X9 crashes Nvidia Display Driver

calgaryhomes

Hey Chief

I recently downloaded the X9 full version to my my rig and can work in plan section and elevation views just fine as long as they are in "vector, glass house, or line view.  So yesterday I thought I would get a raytrace of the project I am working on.  To start a raytrace I need to be in "standard" view.  I pull up my project in 3D default "vector" view get the right angle then switch to "standard" view, but within seconds the black screen appears and I get the display driver has failed and recovered message.

I have tried everything I could find on the internet to solve this issue including:

1/ downloaded latest drivers for all video cards and programs (all up to date)

2/ tried changing screen refresh rate (didn't work)

3/ reinstalled X9 (same problem occurs)

4/ tried to copy and paste X8 raytrace file into X9 per other post (successful copy paste, but still display crashes)

Also another problem I find is X9 will not close using the shut down button.  After I close the program on screen, I pull up the task manager and there I see Chief X9 still running full speed.

The only way it fully closes is to end process in the task manager.  I even have found multiple chief X9 processes running simultaneously in the task manager 300k+ each.

I have been using chief since X3 and have never encountered these issues before.  WTH.  I am going back to X8 if this cant be fixed. 

ps.  please return the 'toogle shadows" button to the task bar per X8

My rig:  MSI GT70

Intel i7-3610QM

NvidIa Geforce GTX 670M / 3GB GDDR5

DDRlll 12GB (4GBx3)

HDD 750GB 7200rpm

What Joe said. Been running x9 since first beta on both machines listed in signature. The 9150 has just a tad more juice than you list-not enough to make a difference. Had an issue when first installed the beta which was specifying X9 to use the NVidia card.

But not sure what could be up with not getting CA to close unless it is related. No problem here with that.

I can't agree that X9 is not ready.

I did get a couple of error messages yesterday on the 9778 - may have been pushing things - 4 plans (28 mb ea), layout, 6 cad details, 5 elevations, 3 perspectives, Firefox 4 tabs, Edge (Honda Classic Stream), PIM, Directory Opus, 2 Win Explorer, Bluebeam w/4 files -all open using 3 screens. I put it off to the specific plans, all derivative of one that's had an occasional issue in the past, created 7/15 .Closed CA, reopened and all was fine-no loss.

Well, to all of you that say X9 is just fine, let me be the first to say that the emperor has no clothes. 

Chief if you're listening, please continue working on all the fixes. 

It's not fine. 

And if fine means I have to invest in a NASA grade computer then it's not my computer's fault, it's your programming. 

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, calgaryhomes said:

I also tried the physx dedicated to Nvidia .......no change.   X9 still crashes the display.  Seems odd that this problem only affects my x9 and doesn't affect any other programs.  Somethings got to be missing.  

Vaughn,

Can you provide the specs of your system?  How much memory?  How much GPU memory, etc.  I've been running X9 for several months on 3 different systems, including my ASUS G74SX Laptop.  I haven't experienced anything like what you're reporting.  You may need to contact Customer Support on Monday.

Might try run as administrator. Shouldn't need to but odd it's persting in memory. Ran into that on another program once. Something to try til Monday anyway.  Machine has enough juice. 

Also shouldn't matter but can turn shadows off in defaults. I made it a keyboard shortcut back in 8 as well. 

12 hours ago, michaelgia said:

Well, to all of you that say X9 is just fine, let me be the first to say that the emperor has no clothes. 

It's not fine. 

And if fine means I have to invest in a NASA grade computer then it's not my computer's fault, it's your programming. 

Curious as to what kind of problems you're having? Have you contacted tech? I know how frustrating it can be but X9 has been running very smoothly here. Is there another thread where you address your problems with X9?

On my HD3000 integrated graphics I believe the issue is that this chip only supports up to Open GL 3.1. Looks to me that CA9 needs version 3.3 or higher. It's frustrating as X8 worked on this system as long as I had shadows turned off, which was no big deal. Now my laptop is completely useless with X9.

Graham

Vaughn & Michael,

The problems you are experiencing are not typical and are most likely related to your system, probably your video card.  X9 is using more advanced rendering technology then X8 did.  This makes the rendered views look better and much faster. 

This is only just a guess.  I have no way of knowing anything based on your above posts.

The bottom line is that your problems are not going to get solved by posting here.

You need to contact technical support and they will work with you to help you solve your problems.

12 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Vaughn,

Can you provide the specs of your system?  How much memory?  How much GPU memory, etc.  I've been running X9 for several months on 3 different systems, including my ASUS G74SX Laptop.  I haven't experienced anything like what you're reporting.  You may need to contact Customer Support on Monday.

Hey Joe

System Spec:

MSI Gt 70 laptop (17.3" 1920x1080)

CPU: intel core i7-3610QM  2.3Ghz-3.1Ghz quad core, 8 threads

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M / 3GB GDDR5

RAM: DDRlll 12GB (4GB*3)

HDD: 750GB 7200rpm

I'm calling tech this morning to see what they have to offer.

Cheers

2017-02-27 10.05.16.jpg

15 hours ago, michaelgia said:

It's not fine. 

Time for a new computer, just the cost of doing business, old technology just gets old and upgrading your computer will just go so far.

Edit , after seeing your spec's it should be ok.

Well, I called tech support this morning and thought my problems were solved.  Seems the global settings

in the NVIDIA control panel show no ambient occlusion is supported except by program.  Went to the X9

defaults and under Camera - General Camera settings the default ambient occlusion setting is 100%.

Reset this to zero and now the standard view 3D option will work without crashing the display.....sometimes.

The first two times I tried this today it worked great, but now it seems to be intermittent with different plans of

varying complexity.  Now all raytraces I tried today have failed with this error message:

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\19.1\chief\source\raytrace.cpp(495): Error #272032345

"An unexpected error occurred while ray tracing."

2/27/2017 11:46:35 AM

Build: 19.1.0.47x64

According to tech my Geforce card should be fine and well able to do all of Chiefs new features, so again WTH.

Called Tech again.........told to submit case file on web support page.  

FYI...i have still not received a response from web support for the case file I submitted on the 25th.  Not holding

my breath till this is answered, so back to X8.

23 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious as to what kind of problems you're having? Have you contacted tech? I know how frustrating it can be but X9 has been running very smoothly here. Is there another thread where you address your problems with X9?

I posted a couple of weeks ago. Problem with vector camera view. Standard view works fine. All views work well except vector view. This does not seem consistent with "your system is old" response, or "time to upgrade". 

This is a bug. Otherwise I would have crashing or performance issues. 

I'm sure they'll fix it eventually. 

In the meantime we don't help by sugar coating issues with X9. Or any other issues. 

From prior post:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21784

EDIT:

Just updated to 19.1.0.470SX

vector view issue fixed!

Thanks Chief!!!

:)

Edited by michaelgia
Just updated to latest build

Update:

X9 is up and running in all 3D views, but will not raytrace anything.  

Sent drawing file to tech to see if they can make a raytrace work and waiting to hear back.

Attached is the file I sent to Chief Tech.  It's extremely basic and should raytrace easily but don't on my system.

Anyone willing to try it on your X9?  I suspect now that my computor is missing some simple graphics code that

is preventing the video card from raytracing.  Next step is reverting back to earlier NVIDIA driver and see what happens.

Crescent_Heights.zip

"black screen appears and I get the display driver has failed and recovered message."

I feel for you. I had this problem a couple years ago, with Chief, and another cadd program I use.

As you likely see by doing a Google search, you are not alone with this problem.

This all happened after moving from XP to Windows 7. I had installed a new video card so I returned and new one did the dame thing.

I then put in a GTX 760. I'm still using version 331.82 drivers as I'm so paranoid of it reappearing if I change.

All I can add is, check your clocking on the video card, maybe try different drivers and while it doesn't seem like it would matter, run a memory test on your ram.

Also....I did have to make some adjustments in the Nvidia "Program Settings", specifically for Chief.

Good luck, this can be a nightmare. When it's all said and done and you cant resolve, get a newer video card.

1 hour ago, calgaryhomes said:

Update:

X9 is up and running in all 3D views, but will not raytrace anything.  

Sent drawing file to tech to see if they can make a raytrace work and waiting to hear back.

Attached is the file I sent to Chief Tech.  It's extremely basic and should raytrace easily but don't on my system.

Anyone willing to try it on your X9?  I suspect now that my computor is missing some simple graphics code that

is preventing the video card from raytracing.  Next step is reverting back to earlier NVIDIA driver and see what happens.

Crescent_Heights.zip

Like Joe said, Ray Tracing has nothing to do with the video card.   It's all CPU. My computer is pretty old and relatively slow and I could easily ray trace your plan...4 passes in right around a minute.  I suspect the problem lies with your actual computer.  Maybe it's overheating.  Try going into Preferences>Render>Ray Trace and turn down the number of cores used to see if that helps. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Like Joe said, Ray Tracing has nothing to do with the video card.   It's all CPU. My computer is pretty old and relatively slow and I could easily ray trace your plan...4 passes in right around a minute.  I suspect the problem lies with your actual computer.  Maybe it's overheating.  Try going into Preferences>Render>Ray Trace and turn down the number of cores used to see if that helps. 

I think it really was as simple as having the vector view open in his plan instead of standard view. Will wait to hear if he got it fixed.