Chief X9 crashes Nvidia Display Driver

calgaryhomes

6 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I think it really was as simple as having the vector view open in his plan instead of standard view. Will wait to hear if he got it fixed.

Maybe...except for this error message he mentioned in his second to last post.

23 hours ago, calgaryhomes said:

C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\19.1\chief\source\raytrace.cpp(495): Error #272032345

"An unexpected error occurred while ray tracing."

2/27/2017 11:46:35 AM

Build: 19.1.0.47x64

Sounds like he is properly initiating the ray trace.  It's just failing to fully execute. 

Did the same thing to me!  I took my computer in and they said I have to buy a new computer because my video card cannot handle it and I just bought a new computer last year.  I opened a drawing in x9 for a 3-D presentation and it was a total embarassment.  Then, I couldn't go back into x8.  It's costing me over $1000. and delays for a project.  Love Chief Architect and have been with it since day one, but a warning would have been nice.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:38 AM, Dermot said:

Vaughn & Michael,

The problems you are experiencing are not typical and are most likely related to your system, probably your video card.  X9 is using more advanced rendering technology then X8 did.  This makes the rendered views look better and much faster. 

This is only just a guess.  I have no way of knowing anything based on your above posts.

The bottom line is that your problems are not going to get solved by posting here.

You need to contact technical support and they will work with you to help you solve your problems.

I submitted a case to tech on sunday and received a response to submit the plan in question to tech.  I submitted the plan file to tech at 6am tuesday morning.  Same time I shared to this forums users for other opinions.

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I'm wondering what OS is being used on these systems that are having the problems with X9.  I think X9 is only available in 64bit.

Could that be the problem?

running 64 bit windows 7 home premium

7 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

You can also change your defaults so you get a standard, raytraceble view every time.

camer a 2.png

Thanks for the suggestion.  Just changed the general camera settings to these and tried the raytrace again.....still get same instant error message.

However, I am able to pull up the plan in standard 3D view with 70% ambient occlusion as you do.  Tried 100% but whole file crashes to black screen in any 3D.

On 2/27/2017 at 10:06 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

Time for a new computer, just the cost of doing business, old technology just gets old and upgrading your computer will just go so far.

Edit , after seeing your spec's it should be ok.

Chief recommends on the dot com site that X9 would be best running 16GB ram (I have 12GB) and a video card with 4 to 8GB ( i have 3GB)

Been delaying the new computor purchase for a couple years now, but looks like X9 could be the straw that breaks.  Pricing out new rigs today.

12 hours ago, calgaryhomes said:

Chief recommends on the dot com site that X9 would be best running 16GB ram (I have 12GB) and a video card with 4 to 8GB ( i have 3GB)

Been delaying the new computor purchase for a couple years now, but looks like X9 could be the straw that breaks.  Pricing out new rigs today.

From your posted system specs you should be able to run X9 without the problem you are experiencing. I am running X9 on systems far less capable than yours. There are times when you need to do a clean video driver install. If you use the NVidia update tool there is an option for a clean install. Some times the newest driver is not always the best, you can go through the driver list and try some of the older versions. Have you used the Intel tool to scan you chipset drivers to make sure they are all up to date.

Graham

One other thing comes to mind. Are you running multiple monitors? If so disconnect them and see if the problem still occurs, may need to reboot. I recall about a year ago there was a MSI user who had problems with multi-monitors, supposedly it was a MSI problem. Search the forum to see the postings on this.

Graham

Sounds like their are multiple problems here, a couple of thoughts regarding multiple topics within this thread: 

1) Camera view options still exist under the 3d Tab including turning off shadows

2) I would turn off all enhancements in 3d view by selecting the camera and opening it/unchecking bloom etc.

3) Turn off ambient occlusion for greater stability

4) Tune your system for running processes, ray-tracing is very taxing on a system, check services tab and clean up. Possibly set priority of chief architect to high in task manager

5) Limit raytrace to use 2-3 cores for your raytrace to test stability

6) Update to Windows 10, it will speed your old girl up in many ways and has better implementation for RAM designation. Other people know more than I do, chime in.

7) Reset all setting in chief? backup first

9) Update your BUS and chipset drivers, as other people have said, ray-trace is CPU

and good luck! your system is plenty powerful enough, biggest recommendation would be windows 10

Well, time for an update:

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advise, much appreciated.

Tried everything under the sun to get my laptop to Raytrace in X9 even loading

Windows 10 onto it, but to this day it just refuses to do it.

So, after almost five years of great laptop service I have given it it's retirement

papers and sent it to live in the kitchen where the wife can use it.

My new replacement has arrived and it's up and running super fast.  Did a speed test

thru Ookla on both systems, old and new, and the new rig is over 200% internet faster,  Raytraces

in X9 don't even break a sweat with this thing.  If I can get five years out of this new rig

I will be more than pleased.

Make and Model MSI AEGIS 3 Gaming Desktop PC
Part Number VR7RD-013US

Operating System Windows® 10 Home
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad Core Processor
w/ 4.2GHz Turbo, 8 Threads, 8MB Smart Cache, 14nm
Chipset Intel® B250 Chipset
Memory 32GB DDR4-2400 (2x 16GB)
Graphics NVidia® GeForce® GTX 1070 Video Card, 8GB VRAM
Storage 1x 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD
1x 3TB 7,200rpm SATA III HDD
Optical Drive 1x DVD Super Multi Drive