Changing Wall Heights From 9' To 10' On Finished Plan

BAGrant

I finished a set of plans in X6.  I'm recently change from Version 10 in December.  My customer wants to change the ceiling height on the Main Floor from 9' to 10'.  They also want to change the Second Floor ceiling height from 8' to 9'.  :unsure:  Will someone give me a few quick pointers or a simple way to do this in X6

Thanks in Advance.

post-3496-0-27922900-1428447821_thumb.jpg

Hate it when they do that.

Start on second floor and click on a room then click on choose like objects tool and set ceiling heights in dbx. box.

Go to floor one and do the same drill. This should  do it. I usually ck. each room to see if ceiling height changed correctly.(pita) Also ck cross sections and make sure all is as supposed to be.

Hope you haven't printed it all out yet.

Hope this gets it done for you.

Have a great week,Ken

• Upvote 1

The roof planes will not "automatically" move after merely resetting floor and room dialog box - ceiling heights. They must either be rebuilt in a new unit of time OR shift-selected and then manually moved UP by how much you added to each floor ceiling height.

DJP

• Upvote 1

I agree with David on the roof planes what I would do is start on the first floor and go to my defaults for that floor and change the ceiling height there, then go to the second floor and do the same thing with the defaults on that floor, my next step would be to move the roof planes that are on the second floor in the z axis the same amount that I moved the first and second floors your foundation will stay where it is and of course rebuild your plan

Note,

There's a faster way.  Go into the Plan Defaults and make the changes there.  You'll have to do it for each floor.

Then, dbl click on each room and in the Structure Tab click on the "Use Default" for the Ceiling Height.

Do that for each Room - but start on the Top Floor and work down.  Then Rebuild the Roof Planes.

It's even more simple than that.

1) multi select all roof plane's open the roof DBX and elevate to desired height and all should move up 2 feet.

2) get the top floor and edit area to multi select and change to desired height in the floor settings DBX. (it is likely that rooms on this floor may have expanded to 11 feet now after the roof change so change them to 10 feet)

1) do the same for the ground floor if they have not moved to the 10 foot ceiling height automacticly.

If you have drawn in ceiling planes for coffered ceilings you may have to multi select these and move them as well if edit area fails.

If you use a method like this with multi selection and edit area you will save time on having to fix customised rooms and messing up roof planes?

There are other tricks too but you have a fiddle with this method and make sure your original plan is saved incase you have to go back if you get a problem.

If edit area does not work try the multi select or the parameter selection tool to change height properties of floors and see if this works.

See how you go?

• Upvote 1

Note,

There's a faster way.  Go into the Plan Defaults and make the changes there.  You'll have to do it for each floor.

Then, dbl click on each room and in the Structure Tab click on the "Use Default" for the Ceiling Height.

Do that for each Room - but start on the Top Floor and work down.  Then Rebuild the Roof Planes.

If you modify 'floor defaults' as Joe suggests you have a future touchstone of sorts if your floor heights ever go wonky on you. Using floor defaults to set/change floor heights is a very good Chief practice and will insulate you from future mystery floor height changes.

Even simpler....paste a new dim over any existing dims. If this is a complete set of plans, and the change was last minute, paste and go.

I don't think this is the right thing to do - specially when working with a 3d program like Chief, it might seem like a quick fix but in the long run will cause many many problems - I would rather take an extra day and fix it right, once

IMPORTANT - Chief CAN change your default floor heights out of the blue. I'm working on a plan and the first floor default ceiling height was changed to 0" after I set it to the default 97". If your plan gets wonky this is the first place to look. This is a major bug of some kind and I will not be able to reproduce it but I noticed my 3D views were destroyed and did not know what happened. I checked my defaults and my first floor height was 0". User error? I'll always cop to my ignorance but this just up and changed so beware.

Also points to the importance of the defaults. A good place to check first if things go a little nuts in your model.

also, keep in mind that floor defaults may not work well

for rooms that vary from the defaults

split-level houses, modern houses with many floor levels etc

also go thru model looking for any polyline solids and slabs etc

as they may need to have position adjusted also

the more "workarounds" there are in the  model

the more "cleanup" you  may need to do

Lew

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. 

I will save a copy of the plan and raise my roof plane hgts and then raise the second floor, then the main floor.
the real issue are the stairs: Space is limited.

Also there are tray ceiling, coffered ceiling, and two story areas.

It seem I have my work cut out for me.  cool.. 

post-3496-0-22084100-1428511941_thumb.jpg

post-3496-0-77558700-1428511967_thumb.png

As soon as a client mentions changing ceiling heights I discuss the stairs with them. Quite often they are a limiting factor and require adding square footage to achieve the change. The entire footprint can be affected.

I am always thankful I am no longer drawing on pieces of paper......this situation is always an add-on cost to my plans.

• Upvote 2