Layout Plan Changes

builtright3

When I send a floor plan to layout and then make changes to the floor plan the layout changes 90% of the time but ocasionally it does not. Specifically I deleted the dimensions and put them back in and the layout page did not update so I deleted the plan on the layout page and sent a new plan to layout to correct it.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so is there another way to update the layout when this happens or am I doing something wrong?

It's a known, very old bug that's impossible to reproduce in any consistent manner. There is another way to update the Layout and that is to select the Layout box and open either the 'Layout Box Layers' dbx or the Object Layer Properties' dbx and simply close it - make no changes. Can't remember which dbx it is but try both and will update the Layout.

You can always close and reopen the Layout file and that should update it as well.

This is a really insidious little fellow that can't be found by the tech guys and can wreak havoc if you print immediately after updating a plan file that hasn't updated the Layout file. Usually the Layout file has been closed and re-opened enough times to insure that the Layout is up to date - but not always.

Thank You

It hasn't happened to me on the current drawing I'm working on but I'm sure it will. Wanted to ask the question before it happen again. The only thing that really bugs me about it is that if I have to resend the layout than I have to put my description back in again for the layout label (Plot Plan 1/8 inch = 1 foot). Otherwise its not too bad just frustrating to cause me extra steps and waist time. Also if I don't noticed that it didn't update and it goes to print that another frustrating moment.

Damn Gremlins!

I use a template layout with all the views already sent to the layout, so I never have that problem. I never have to re-send anything so never have to re-name it. I always start a new job by taking my template plan and layout , re-name them to whatever job it is and done--everything already there. Of course you also need to link the plan to the layout.

Huge time saver

I use a template layout with all the views already sent to the layout, so I never have that problem. I never have to re-send anything so never have to re-name it. I always start a new job by taking my template plan and layout , re-name them to whatever job it is and done--everything already there. Of course you also need to link the plan to the layout.

Huge time saver

What do you mean "all the views already sent to the layout"? Am I over looking a simple time saver step here?

By having your sections,elevations, floor plans etc already sent from template plan to template layout.

then copy save as both of the templates to your new job folder and relink. saves a heap of time, may eaven be quicker than scotts method as there is no need to erase anything.

It is just a matter of keeping ypour template up to date with any new things. I have my details as a seperate plan file for each one, these are also already linked to the layout so it is just a matter of relinking for a different detail.

Joey,

The basics of doing this is to have all your Camera (Elevations & Sections) and all CAD Details such as Schedules, etc saved in your Template Plan.  Then, send them to Layout and saving that as your Layout Template.  When you start a new project you copy those to a new Folder, rename them to your new project name and link them.  Now, with both the Layout and Plan open you can start working on your design.  Almost everything you do will automatically update the Layout.

Of course you will have to open the Elevations, Sections, Interior Elevations, and any other 3D Views in order to insure they update in the Layout.  But you don't have to send them because they're already there.

Also include sections and interior cameras b/c those are a pain to do, b/c you can't set one up and copy it. remember you just need to put those cameras in place where you want them after you draw the floor plan.

Ok, I didn't realize you could send to layout without having something drawn in the plan file so If that's right then I can set that up.

Also,

In the send to layout dialog box I unchecked the box to make a copy of the active layer set. Didn't really find a need for an extra copy laying around. I don't understand what that is for. Can anyone explain it to me or do I just not need it to copy?

post-2478-0-95992700-1427933732_thumb.png

Ok, I didn't realize you could send to layout without having something drawn in the plan file so If that's right then I can set that up.

Also,

In the send to layout dialog box I unchecked the box to make a copy of the active layer set. Didn't really find a need for an extra copy laying around. I don't understand what that is for. Can anyone explain it to me or do I just not need it to copy?

Yep ,I never use that either

I just did this short video on templates

http://screencast.com/t/2AD1ckxAEH7

• Upvote 2

Thank P.  I'm getting these two threads messed up :)  , will keep my eyes open for parts 2-5  :)

PS I think you video folder includes vids for your clients ? not sure if you want others to see that or not ?

No Problem ...I like your system ,now just need to implement something similar ,starting with a basic box house should do right ? so you  have something to send to Layout, or did you just use a plan and layout you liked for your "templates" and adjust things as you went over the years?

M.

It always changing, with new releases, new goodies. I find that more than one or two layout and plan templates are just too much to update. like raised floor vs. slab, I now use just one for both, it very easy to change them when needed.

Yep ,I never use that either

I just did this short video on templates

http://screencast.com/t/2AD1ckxAEH7

Thank you Perry for sharing this video. Been using Chief for a lot of years but never quite enough to spend the time putting together good working templates and annotation sets. But now that I want to sit on my $%$# more I'm trying to learn more to be productive so I can enjoy my new grand baby!!!

Thank you Perry for sharing this video. Been using Chief for a lot of years but never quite enough to spend the time putting together good working templates and annotation sets. But now that I want to sit on my $%$# more I'm trying to learn more to be productive so I can enjoy my new grand baby!!!

Got good news, I guess, I think I'm also having more grandkids # 13 and 14, in 8 months

Perry,

Do you build you details in a plan file and send them to the layout or do you build them in the layout file? I've done both and I also have scanned details that are in my library. I need to make up my mind and bring everything together and clean things up. Can you give me a little input on that? Or anyone else that wants to comment I would be grateful.

I guess you almost have to have a plan file just for details? I have all my stuff in the library but I like that you already have detail in your template. The library gets to congested and so its not easy to always find stuff quickly. Now that I working on a larger scale this is important.

I have details that I use in almost every plan already sent to the template layout but have a lot more details saved to my lib and just go get the ones I might need. For a few versions now Chief has had a problem with cad details losing the auto width and height in a cad block, the text will become garbled , I then need to just unblock it , check the auto height and width and re-block.    I do wish cad blocks would remember their name, when I do that. I don't care about scale with those details, so I don't need to create in a cad Detail, I don't want anyone scaling the plan details. But I can understand if you want details to scale, then use a cad detail view then send that to the layout. 10 years ago when I switched to Chief, I imported most of my details from another program, there is some fix-up but these details change over time anyway.

I do details a couple of different ways.

1. Section View - Auto Detail - Clip Edges of Camera - fully annotate. (basically I use this for full Cross Sections and for Wall Sections)

2. For larger scale details I do CAD Detail from View of the above. and Trim that Detail to just include the area of interest. I use a "CAD Frame" around the detail so the Layout Box will be the size I want in the Layout - just for consistency.

3. Standard Details I have in CAD Detail Windows in dedicated "Detail Plans" which are at the Scale I will send them to Layout. (Door, Window, Railing, etc.)

I do not create any of these details in the Layout File and I do as little as possible in 2D CAD.

I do not place details in the Library.  I've found it difficult to manage scale from the Library to Layout.  For me, the Detail Drawings with CAD Detail Windows is a better way of organizing and my details are basically live.  If I change a detail in a Detail Plan that's linked to any Project's Layout it is changed in the Layout. 

For me, the Detail Drawings with CAD Detail Windows is a better way of organizing and my details are basically live.  If I change a detail in a Detail Plan that's linked to any Project's Layout it is changed in the Layout. 

Yes, but as we all know, lots of cad details in your plan file can slow your system down. I don't like that unless you store them in a different plan file.

Although there are often several good or bad ways to do most things, I think in this instance the majority of the people with a lot of time using CA are doing it the same. Have a sheet of details make that a distinct plan that is sent to layout on it's own. Less weight in the main plan file and easy to use on the next project with modifications since some of those details will be standard details (ie: hand rail grab section...) If you only have one or two details to add to a page do that directly from your library to your plan file. I sometimes just place that detail off screen of the plan view.