Having trouble with this roof. Any advice?

willgrantii

What do i need to do to to post my plan file? It is too big to post and I am very new here lol. Here are some pictures of what i have and kind of what I am going for on this roof. Any advice or help is appreciated!!! 

IMG_9740.jpg

IMG_9741.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg

IMG_9737.jpeg

IMG_9736.jpeg

You have some roof pitches at 10 and some at 12. That roof on the second floor bedroom would have 10 on one side of the gable and 12 on the other as it is currently. I think you need to make some decisions and this roof is pretty straight forward. You can join a 10 to a 12 at the hip but it is messy at the eave. What do you want to do? 

If you are replicating the plan you show in images, did you spec all your perimeter wall roof directives per the roof plan you in the photo?  If not, why not?

I'd have started there and auto-roofed the plan.

And there is this, from Mick, a Chiefer here, posted on another thread about modeling roofs:

Remember that the KnowledgeBase (KB) has many good Short Tutorials ( with downloadable PDFs) and there are also Free Videos etc to help with all the basics.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00441/creating-hip-and-gable-roofs-manually.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5447/roof-basics.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6110/roof-options-using-the-manual-and-automatic-roof-tools-grandview-build.html

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

If you are replicating the plan you show in images, did you spec all your perimeter wall roof directives per the roof plan you in the photo?  If not, why not?

I'd have started there and auto-roofed the plan.

And there is this, from Mick, a Chiefer here, posted on another thread about modeling roofs:

Remember that the KnowledgeBase (KB) has many good Short Tutorials ( with downloadable PDFs) and there are also Free Videos etc to help with all the basics.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00441/creating-hip-and-gable-roofs-manually.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5447/roof-basics.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6110/roof-options-using-the-manual-and-automatic-roof-tools-grandview-build.html

I initially put all the roof info in the walls and used auto build but it wasn't giving me what i was going for so switched to manual. I am so new to Chief and the whole process of how this works so these first few plans of mine have been more of a crash course than anything. I really appreciate all the feedback and help! I think at some point i need some 1 on 1 training to get some more inside tips and tricks beyond what I've been doing on my own. 

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Does this look correct? 

You need to do this roof manually...you could do some using auto but you'd have to make a lot of edits. Hardly worth the effort. 

2024-01-07_11-52-01.thumb.png.7cf8b4e48c3a912aac9f2070f79cff46.png 2024-01-07_11-52-17.thumb.png.ec2d65b11ba3877cca28e4e316a31efb.png2024-01-07_11-52-35.thumb.png.15616e613f57f5058b1c528d59c503b7.png2024-01-07_11-55-07.thumb.png.604d836b179e0b993df26b9bc540879f.png

Yes that looks great! This is more what I am going for. 

3 hours ago, willgrantii said:

I'm SO MUCH CLOSER!! Trying figure out how to get some auto dormers on the front but the first-floor walls auto generating on the second floor is what's confusing me. Why do they do that? Is that because my roof is generated from the first floor? 

Carolina Floor Plan01 after new foundation (3).zip 192 B · 0 downloads

No data you must have the file open in chief when you zipped it.

22 hours ago, willgrantii said:

I initially put all the roof info in the walls and used auto build but it wasn't giving me what i was going for so switched to manual

This is best Practice , as noted in the Other Thread it will only get you 65-85% of the way there in my experience but especially being New To Chief it's get you started with corrects baseline positions etc.

I'd also suggest looking at the Tuts. on Manual Dormers , you never use Auto Dormers again, I haven't in years.

Per Gene...This might help being New as well.....

Basic Drawing Order PDF   _MHD CA Drawing Order Cheat Sheet.pdf

Mick.

I disagree about building roofs last. Obviously, the look of the roof is important to the overall design, and it's driven by the floorpan. I usually have a split window or two screens showing the floor plan and the exterior 3D at the same time, with auto roofs running from the get-go. I want to see what the roof looks like as I go in case something about the floor plan is creating a goofy end result. Roofs and Foundations auto-build as soon as the exterior walls close.

I would never go all the way through Final Design without reviewing the roof. But that's just me...

10 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I would never go all the way through Final Design without reviewing the roof. But that's just me...

I don't think anyone said to go all the way to final design did they? or did I skip over that post? 

I know from personal experience that watching the Roofs build early on Auto freaks many People out especially New Users and makes them think they are done something wrong,

so I suggest do that after the 1st Auto Build is done, once the Exterior Walls are enclosed, as it also lets you set walls as Gables for example that you missed the RWD on, Decks or Porches that need to be covered etc and forgotten about, but each to His own obviously. ( experience teaches you not to worry about the 3D so much :) ) 

M.

The OP is copying a plan.  Not getting inspired by it and deviating per his or her design sense, but copying one.  The only diff is that it's mirrored from what was shown.  I'd want whatever floor 2 living space is there, to be there ahead of roof generation, as a way to determine with knee wall heights, what would be needed for baseline elevations.

5 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but...

Not what I thought at all, but I wondered if you meant the PDF or another Post and so I wondered if when I cut the PDF down from a 2 page PDF to 1 page, if had removed too much Info or if something wasn't Clear as it is one of my Standard Handouts.

I guess saying the Perimeter Walls to final is too ambiguous or something?  I guess "Exterior Walls Only" would be better? ( roofs won't build till then anyway , you need an enclosed Room ). 

Mick.