Building roof doesn't bring in outriggers

winterdd

20 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Building roof doesn't bring in outriggers

I think we should be asking "Why does building roof not bring in outriggers?"

What's the roof situation? Rafters? Trusses? If Trusses, did you Build Framing after? Is Lookouts checked on the Build Roof dialog?

Ok this is another case of using incorrect terminology:

• outrigger - a type of canoe  (Rob wants to float the roof :lol:)
  • lookout - the guy with the binoculars (CA's trying to rob the Bank :lol:;))

Correct terminology:

• outlooker - canitlever support for gable roof eaves. (Standard terminology:rolleyes::wub:)

Didn't we go thru something similar with "Tray Ceilings"?

Quote: "So you're saying that because another company used the wrong terminology that it's "Standard" now?; 2 wrongs don't make a right."

Just pointing out that MiTek, a US International Company which is leader in the supply of construction fixings etc widely use the term "outrigger".

As you would know terms used in different countries differ to decribe different construction methods, materials, terms and items, 

We in NZ have many other different terms which are mainly handed down from English origins, ie; we have door architraves and skirting, you have casings and base mouldings and the list can go on forever, whos right?

Original terms and decriptions go way back to the Greeks, Romans, Euorpeans, English and other countries, pre our colonial days, they were all designing and building before all of us.

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Ok this is another case of using incorrect terminology:

• outrigger - a type of canoe  (Rob wants to float the roof :lol:)
  • lookout - the guy with the binoculars (CA's trying to rob the Bank :lol:;))

Correct terminology:

• outlooker - canitlever support for gable roof eaves. (Standard terminology:rolleyes::wub:)

Didn't we go thru something similar with "Tray Ceilings"?

I call them both lol and one time I actually called them outlooks but that is a microsoft email server lol ........I autobuilt the roof and no lookouts. First time it has happened. I know, upload the plan file, but I need to get the file smaller first.

It is only on one part of the roof. Surely we can manually add these right?

image.thumb.png.891a5f36041fcd40d9eb9aea6dce098c.png

6 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

How do you guys manually add outriggers and keep them orientated to the slope?

Typically if there is an issue where they don't generate it is on one side of the roof and not the other, so I copy and reflect usually, at least for me that is usually what happens.

If I have a situation where there are none I have one in my library that I can pull out and apply.    Pretty sure I have posted that before.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Typically if there is an issue where they don't generate it is on one side of the roof and not the other, so I copy and reflect usually, at least for me that is usually what happens.

If I have a situation where there are none I have one in my library that I can pull out and apply.    Pretty sure I have posted that before.

Every time I mirror them (other jobs) they float out in space. I guess the main question here is can we manually add them like rafters and joists?

1 minute ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I guess the main question here is can we manually add them like rafters and joists?

No.  This is not a CA option.    Copy and paste or save one to library for general use. 

6 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Every time I mirror them (other jobs) they float out in space.

I forget what causes them to float.  I sent that in so long ago I figured they had it fixed.   Check the "Automatic Height" setting.

1 hour ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

It is only on one part of the roof. Surely we can manually add these right?

First off, I think the reason they are not generating is that they are not technically lookouts (or whatever), because that section of roof is not cantilevered out over a wall - it is butting up against a wall - therefore, no lookouts.

You should be able to use the Roof Blocking tool to draw them at the roof slope.

You will probably have to adjust the size depending on what orientation you require.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, glennw said:

it is butting up against a wall "roof"- therefore, no lookouts.

It always seems to take a 4 year old to set things straight. :rolleyes:  Funny how you get a certain word or three stuck in your head and can't get it out even with a good screen shot...           "Outrigger"    "Lookout"   "Outlooker"   "Thingamajigger"  ;)

Personally, I'm orientated towards "outlooker" as the language seems rigged against outsiders. Always looking out for the correct terminology can leave you hanging over the edge. I mean, it's whatever floats your board, but if yer canoe slopes you might consider a cantilevered solution... as long as Gable approves (I read that his Outlook is keen but that was in an email). Well, I'm gonna grab my skyhook and rig up a floating levelator to cantilever this space rafter over my hang! Been good to canoe ya!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I autobuilt the roof and no lookouts...Surely we can manually add these right?

I've had this happen before specifically when two overhangs are overtop one another - it's like the program isn't sure which roof plane needs lookouts/outlookers/whateveryouwannacall'ems and only builds them on one.

I wonder if you pulled the smaller roof plane above back so that they didn't overlap, if they'd build.

If that works you might be able to expose the lower roof planes and use Build Framing for Selected Object to build each plane individually, pull the upper ones back out and do the same.

Not to sidetrack the original post but here's my two cents on the terminology. Carpenter and superintendent for 35 years. Always called them lookouts. Designer for the last 10 years. Always called them lookouts. BC and Ontario building codes call them lookouts. Francis Ching (look him up) calls them lookouts. Good enough for me. The builders I work with know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TeaTime said:

I've had this happen before specifically when two overhangs are overtop one another - it's like the program isn't sure which roof plane needs lookouts/outlookers/whateveryouwannacall'ems and only builds them on one.

That is definitely an understatement.  I have had to manually build lookouts because of that situation and then had them jump to the other roof plane when the plan is closed and reopened.

5 hours ago, KristjanM said:

Carpenter and superintendent for 35 years. Always called them lookouts. Designer for the last 10 years. Always called them lookouts.

I've been an Architect for 54 years.

I've always called them "outlookers" just like:

• Websters Dictionary
  • Encyclopedia Britanica
  • Cambridge Dictionary

"Time-Saver Standards" & "Graphic Standards" are totally silent on them except for a couple of details in "Graphic Standards" that labeled them as "outriggers".  Those Details were hand lettered.

• Upvote 1