Best Time savers?

RSdesignvt

I started with CA X12 and am currently on CAX15 - So it’s only been a few years (Winter 2020) However, I came from an entire career in AutoCAD -- (Hated Revit & AutoCAD 3D was just horrible) I lived in 2D world from 1992 to 2020, and also am adept at hand drafting & Illustrations. 

With that said - I LOVE CA - it’s been a game changer for me & happy I switched. (Very) 

HOWEVER - taking my drawings to layout is incredibly cumbersome. Dimensioning is always difficult having to eliminate dimensions, get dimensions I need. I spent a fortune on training and my defaults are fine. Dimensions are always messy. Also, just the sheer volume of fidgeting and getting things to layout, notes, schedules etc. I have a lot of additions versus new builds as I am in New England with old housing stock, very few new builds and every single project is unique. 

I would love tried & true tips on how to make plan to layout easier. I already have a default template; I change plan defaults for each project. I'm just finding that this is the largest loss for my company because the sheer time it takes to move a plan to a layout can be more than the design. In AutoCAD I just drew the elevations, dimensioning was simpler (Making sure it dimensions correctly CA drives me bonkers lol) 

I am very happy with CA, just need help getting things to layout - so if all you sage users can share your best time saving tips I would very much appreciate it! Please scroll by if you are just going to put me down.. Ive done many many trainings, bootcamps, personal trainings etc. But I am older (50+) and sadly not the most saavy at new technology, and I am pretty patient with myself. Im just seeing the incredible amount of time it takes to get to construction documents. I would love screen shots on settings that make things easier too! 

22 minutes ago, EDCsharon said:

I already have a default template;

Ok. Are you using - and making the most of -Saved Plan Views, Default Sets, custom Layer Sets with custom Layers, Saved Dimension Defaults, Saved Text Defaults, and Saved Cameras? These (among others) are the tools that make construction documents simple, along with as Rene said, a layout template with pre-sent views.

Hard to address where you need to make changes without knowing more about your current workflow.

18 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Whoaaaaaaa! That was amazing! THANK YOU! My dimensioning looks nothing like that! Its always a mess, and I have had help a number of times. But getting things to layout as well, I would love a group send of elevations. 

Im posting pics in a second! 

46 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Ok. Are you using - and making the most of -Saved Plan Views, Default Sets, custom Layer Sets with custom Layers, Saved Dimension Defaults, Saved Text Defaults, and Saved Cameras? These (among others) are the tools that make construction documents simple, along with as Rene said, a layout template with pre-sent views.

Hard to address where you need to make changes without knowing more about your current workflow.

Im not sure, I am unfamilliar with this. where can I get more help? Please understand, that this is very overwhelming to me. I am excited about the software - but even with all my training there are so many things that I cannot grasp. I went to college in 1992 - we didnt have this stuff then. I learned autoCAD on DOS. I know younger folks like to **** on us older folks, But we still got it done without 3D - I am excited about the 3D make no mistake - But so many other levels to add into it! 

1 minute ago, EDCsharon said:

Do you ever do trainings? I love your set up! 

yes training and I sell my templates and tools, they are well known on this site and I have a FB group and Discord server filled with people that like to help out others on my systems...I will also help you here for free on my own time, time-available. 
Your dim defaults just need a few tweaks really. First and second line offsets...I would remove fenestration from your cab dims and also probably remove centerline on appliances(instead just manually pull a centerline if needed, or use a separate dimension default on a secondary dim line)
I personally do not like a ton of graphics on my screen so I turn off the grid.
Then maybe just scaling text for the appropriate print height for the sheet size you are printing to..maybe your text is too large

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

yes training and I sell my templates and tools, they are well known on this site and I have a FB group and Discord server filled with people that like to help out others on my systems...I will also help you here for free on my own time, time-available. 
Your dim defaults just need a few tweaks really. First and second line offsets...I would remove fenestration from your cab dims and also probably remove centerline on appliances(instead just manually pull a centerline if needed, or use a separate dimension default on a secondary dim line)
I personally do not like a ton of graphics on my screen so I turn off the grid.
Then maybe just scaling text for the appropriate print height for the sheet size you are printing to..maybe your text is too large

Okay - Can do - I need fenestration on temp dims when I do as-builts as I am always in remodel mode so the majority of my dims are interior spaces. I'm going to reach out to you for a training. I need to get this layout mess better, so If I can have someone walk me through page set up I would be happy as hell. 

11 minutes ago, EDCsharon said:

I love your set up! 

Ha speak of the devil, this was a nice review from Ken

Anywho, as mentioned previous, happy to help you here as well..try a few things...
Customize your toolbars and add Active Dimension Defaults
Make a Dimension Default that has a 18" Primary Offset and 12-18" secondary.
Change your reach if you are picking up too many Objects
Remove everything but cabinets for that dimension default
Make your elevation view default to that new dimension default.

Go watch these videos for general education, this is a playlist, 2-5 min videos, and like 24 of them

As another older user who started on Autocad 1.0 waaaay back in 1981?, I got used to working with it using the tools which kept getting updated at a furious pace, much like CA.

I applaud you in making this change to CA and trying to pound into your worn out bag of new tricks, a better and faster way to get your projects finalized.  The older I get the harder it is for me to keep emptying out my old bag on tricks, and stuff new ones inside.  Like most old dog's, I get used to working this program in previously learned ways.   So I feel inspired to see people like me (older, former, ACAD users) take on learning something new.  Everything they are saying here makes sense, and is worth trying to work into my own workflow.

• Like 1

Hey Rene,

Those full backdrops are wonderful, and I'd like to know how we can take those pictures ourselves?  When I do a site visit, I've always taken pictures of the Front, Back, Sides, and view to use in CA, but they are not the surround kind.  What do I need to know when trying to take a panorama on site??

13 minutes ago, jtcapa1 said:

Hey Rene,

Those full backdrops are wonderful, and I'd like to know how we can take those pictures ourselves?  When I do a site visit, I've always taken pictures of the Front, Back, Sides, and view to use in CA, but they are not the surround kind.  What do I need to know when trying to take a panorama on site??

make another thread and tag me or DM me :)

1 hour ago, EDCsharon said:

I know younger folks like to **** on us older folks

Ha! Yer a pup! I'll be 62 this month! :( :lol:

1 hour ago, EDCsharon said:

I am unfamilliar with this

That's why you're getting frustrated with creating con docs. It's literally quite possible to have complete documents the moment you enclose a room, and add dimensions and the client info. Of course, it's not THAT easy, there will be a lot of tweaking, and just drawing four walls doesn't give you windows, doors, cabinets, etc etc. But you get the idea-- much of this can be pre-programmed to occur automatically.

Saved Plan Views are the key. They allow you to create very unique plan views of any floor, with fantastic control over what is displayed. The SPV (Saved Plan View) you're working on can be switched back and forth as you build the model, keeping everything organized and just how you want it. Then these SPVs are already building your con docs in your layout template, because it has views already sent to it from your template plan. Review these videos:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2433/developing-saved-plan-views.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10199/productivity-tips-saved-plan-views.html

This gives you a good starting point. Along the way with these videos you'll be introduced to Defaults, Default Sets, Reference Display, that all work together to maintain that organization and control. And beyond that are many routes to simplifying the development on con docs of elevations, sections, and details. Be sure to utilize the Chief video library, as well as the online help. And this forum. Good luck!

Don't get me wrong, it's steep. But this is the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtcapa1 said:

As another older user who started on Autocad 1.0 waaaay back in 1981?, I got used to working with it using the tools which kept getting updated at a furious pace, much like CA.

I applaud you in making this change to CA and trying to pound into your worn out bag of new tricks, a better and faster way to get your projects finalized.  The older I get the harder it is for me to keep emptying out my old bag on tricks, and stuff new ones inside.  Like most old dog's, I get used to working this program in previously learned ways.   So I feel inspired to see people like me (older, former, ACAD users) take on learning something new.  Everything they are saying here makes sense, and is worth trying to work into my own workflow.

Thank you! I am certainly not brilliant with learning this software (after 3 years) Ohhh th enuances! They can get me with hours of trying to figure out what I did wrong. And its nice to find support in lieu of critism! 

I am in utter shock and appreciation at 1981! That is the very nascent stage of autoCAD. I remember plotting lines with points back when I learned. Can you imaging doing this now! There is a level of appreciation knowing the vector software from the beginnings. So it does afford us a little bit of knowledge. 

3 things I have found save time beyond the SPVs

1. Plan template has the 4 elvations already on it. Kitchen already has 4 elevations on it (even though you may only use two)

2. Layout template has the 4 elevations, and floor plan layout boxes already on it, and a schedule page on it

3. Windows and door schedules already on the plan template

I also have two cross section cameras on my plan template. I also have 4 walls(room) and an autogenerated foundation on my plan. This allows easier "testing" of the layout, when I make changes to the plan template.

I agree with all the great posts and advice here and understand Chief to be quite complex, deep, and capable but if it were me I'd concentrate on one thing at a time. For example if you don't understand Saved Plan Views (SPV's) concentrate on that one task. Dive in to SPV's until you truly understand them, they will save hours and hours of effort. If they are confusing, as they should be for anyone new to Chief, start another thread focused on SPV's and learn all you can until they are second nature.

The move on to dimensions. Another thread until they are dialed in.

Then Layouts last, another new thread, until you have a Layout template that works for you.

And learn all you can from this forum. I've been using Chief for over 20 years and have never set up my window schedules in my Layout template which I am going to do right now.

Best of luck.

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2023 at 12:14 PM, EDCsharon said:

I am in utter shock and appreciation at 1981! That is the very nascent stage of autoCAD. I remember plotting lines with points back when I learned. Can you imaging doing this now! There is a level of appreciation knowing the vector software from the beginnings. So it does afford us a little bit of knowledge. 

Being in sales, design and production, time was valuable and I remember the older Architects in our office making a pronouncement after looking over my shoulder at ACAD version 1; "it will never go any where..."  ;-) I thought so too at the time, as personal computers were still just a novelty, not destine to go any where either.

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

The first version by AutoCAD was demonstrated at the 1982 Comdex and released that December.  This was the first CAD software that worked on an IBM PC which wasn't available until August 1981 - and even then only with a couple of 160 KB Floppy Drives

The earliest you could have had AutoCAD was December of 1982.

It was a loooong time ago Joe, and I did not double check the dates with Google.  I only remember I had recently graduated from Architecture school full of bright new idea's.  I do remember the goofy IBM PC and a Heath Zenith user built PC, I also remember those amazing floppy disks and drives.  Only reason we had it was the Heath/Zenith user club met in our office up in Alaska, so we had these funny nerds gathering and nerding out on the new operating systems like HDOS and CP/M, then the various cards they could get for adding memory or floppy drives.  I only wish I had listened to those nerds and invested all my money in the recent OS startup called MicroSoft.  These nerds seemed to think it was inferior to their favorites OS. I don't think any of them became super rich.   It was a crazy and amazing time for early adopters of CAD.  We instead, invested in a mini-computer workstation for about $70,000.  It worked great but only lasted about 4 years before we switched back to Autocad.

We had a CalCOMP system with a 50 MB removable HD.  

I actually went to work for CalCOMP where we had both 50 MB & 100 MB removable HDs.  Boy the aingst when someone had a head crash and spread it to 50-60 HDs.  You really needed the tape backups.:(