Doors under stairwell

RSdesignvt

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

16 minutes ago, EDCsharon said:

How can I add the stairwell slope

For your consideration --

If the framed wall stands proud of the stair, one option would be to leave the full-height doors like shown with the door leaves concealing the sheet-rocked stair underside.

The triangular part of the stair assembly would of course be visible when the doors are open, but if storage space not a big deal.  I think looks better than a tapered door when seen from outside and simpler too. 

Jim

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

If the framed wall stands proud of the stair, one option would be to leave the full-height doors like shown with the door leaves concealing the sheet-rocked stair underside.

Assuming the doors swing outward.

Otherwise it will be a problem because the one on the right will not open no matter what the shape.

• Solution

To answer the original question, sort of. 

You can go to the arch page and use a dog eared arch on half the door.  Unfortunately, this will always be at 45 degrees which may or may not be good enough for you.  You can also use a half tudor arch to slope the whole top of the door.  In either case, you might need to change to a "panel" or "slab" door since a door panel symbol won't follow the new shape.

You could also just use a pass-thru window to make the wall opening because windows have the "shape" page which would allow you more control.  You would have to manually place the door panels inside the wall though since you can't have a door in a pass-thru.

Other solutions using symbols would be possible but probably more involved.

28 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

You could also just use a pass-thru window to make the wall opening because windows have the "shape" page which would allow you more control.

I'd probably sooner just manually draw it with 3D Molding polyline - there's a good deal of measuring/trial and error to get Window shapes right - polyline will snap onto and automatically match the stair angle. The only thing you really gain from using a Window is it'll follow Default casing.

30 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

You would have to manually place the door panels inside the wall though since you can't have a door in a pass-thru.

You can Ctrl-drag a window onto a door, so if the door had no jamb/casing and the passthru defined the casing, that'll work.

1 hour ago, JKEdmo said:

The triangular part of the stair assembly would of course be visible when the doors are open, but if storage space not a big deal.  I think looks better than a tapered door when seen from outside and simpler too. 

Jim

Understood, but in the scope the Contractor needs to be aware that this is a custom build, and the drawings should reflect so it is not missed. We all know what happens then! 

57 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

To answer the original question, sort of. 

You can go to the arch page and use a dog eared arch on half the door.  Unfortunately, this will always be at 45 degrees which may or may not be good enough for you.  You can also use a half tudor arch to slope the whole top of the door.  In either case, you might need to change to a "panel" or "slab" door since a symbol won't follow the new shape.

You could also just use a pass-thru window to make the wall opening because windows have the "shape" page which would allow you more control.  You would have to manually place the door panels inside the wall though since you can't have a door in a pass-thru.

Other solutions using symbols would be possible but probably more involved.

This will work just fine - Getting a weird shadowing on it though. The elevations still show a square opening. 

Built in closets under stairwells are not uncommon. So its odd that there isnt a great capability here, if I were to do cabinet models I would polyline / Hole / Extract. I just need doors. Its for a laundry access. I will end up using a polyine box fill for elevations. 

Stairwell Built in 2.JPG

Stairwell Built in 3.JPG

12 minutes ago, EDCsharon said:

Stairwell Built in 3.JPG

That's because you're using a door symbol. As @DBCooperalready said, the door will only be clipped if you use a parametric (slab, panel) door.

19 minutes ago, EDCsharon said:

Understood, but in the scope the Contractor needs to be aware that this is a custom build, and the drawings should reflect so it is not missed. We all know what happens then! 

I think what @JKEdmo was suggesting is that the door would actually look better in real life, the final product, if it's NOT sloped. That is, if you have wall area there as you show in your pics.

• Like 1

Does the client really want one of the doors in that pair to be a very expensive custom-made thing?

It'll be a hand-made door, with raised panel and sticking different from the ones adjacent.

Why do this when the standard pair will look better, be far less expensive, and provide full access to the storage space?

10 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Does the client really want one of the doors in that pair to be a very expensive custom-made thing?

It'll be a hand-made door, with raised panel and sticking different from the ones adjacent.

Why do this when the standard pair will look better, be far less expensive, and provide full access to the storage space?

This is the plan :) Per Client 

Stairwell Built in 4.JPG

Your post with the pic shows no stairs above.  Just looks like a weird door in a straight wall with an opening and door beyond.

When under an open balustrade, as shown to you by the client in the photo in your most recent post, it makes sense to do this.  There is no option.  Otherwise, it looks architecturally wrong.  I suggest two well-done 3D renders, straight tops, and lopped.

But hey, we never say no, no?  Only guys like Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies Van der Rohe could dictate what they believed was correct.  

If you change the door style to "panel", it will follow the shape of the opening.  A door symbol won't.  You will lose the middle rail though.

Not sure there is any easy way to get the hinge and handle locations exactly the way you are showing.  Can't have one handle at a different height than the other on a double door.  You could always place them manually though.

I think if you wanted to model that door exactly as shown, you would have to create some custom symbols and jump through some pretty tricky hoops.

door under stair.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

That's because you're using a door symbol. As @DBCooperalready said, the door will only be clipped if you use a parametric (slab, panel) door.

I think what @JKEdmo was suggesting is that the door would actually look better in real life, the final product, if it's NOT sloped. That is, if you have wall area there as you show in your pics.

Cool beans - Got it! I made this door to reflect the doors (4 panel primed shaker - Brosco) So..... Always some little nuance I'm missing it seems. Thank you kindly! 

• Like 1