JBHammer

Macro for total living area

Is there a macro which can be displayed on each floor plan title, that will give total living area of all floors???

I personally haven't really delved into macros, however it appears there's one predefined already...

post-46-0-18036800-1394928728_thumb.png

That one give the square footage for the floor your on only.  I'm looking for one that gives a total for all floors.

There are two approaches:

1. Just use a room finish schedule and check all floors

2. Use Floor identification macros & global memory

Yes, Gerry

I use the room finish schedule for square footage analysis. When doing additions you just turn off "'include in schedule" and just the added area will be included.  Although, the final number is off by just a couple of s.f. b/c Chief figures the square footage to the center of the existing wall. I will never know why they did that. It's just wrong, but close enough to use.

Thank you for the answers.  For new construction, I do need exact sq. footage.  Gerry, I'm not sure about your #2 answer, I'm new to macros.  Is that a way to get exact footage?  I've always just drawn a room polyline and adjusted it to the main layer to get my footage.  But it would be nice to have a macro set up on each floor plan that gave total footage for the project.

New construction will give you a better number but I still think it cuts the garage wall in halve, but its close enough for me.

FYI --There's no advantage to using a macro as those macro's use the same functions as the normal Chief footage. Just a matter of preference.  Standard cals.,unfortunately, are not very constant in that they cal to outside on the outside living area and center to center on the inside.--- mostly. If you want exact dims, as you say, the only way is to draw the internal dims yourself and zero in to make sure they are at the location you want.

The room schedule does gives a total area at the bottom. -- Not sure about the accuracy -- but close. 

The problem is really with the programing of the various cals which are not consistent.  Using internal dims would involve too many macros to be practical. IOW -- everything available is a approximation to some degree.

Guys,

There is a %Living.area% macro in Layout but is Grayed out. I would like to use this figure on my cover page plan title. How do I get it there and have it remain dynamic with plan changes? 

Thanks,

Note: CA has stated that the living area jumping problem has been fixed in X9

Lew

I have a "Living Areas" Macro Package that consists of 3 macros

1.  %Living Areas Get Totals%    - when placed in the Default Room Label accumulates all Floor Living Areas
  2.  %Living Areas Table% - placed in a Text Box displays each Floor Living Area and the Total
  3.  %Living Areas Total% - placed in a Text Box displays the Total Living Area of all Floors

This Package is $10.00 usd.

Let me know if you want it.

Joe,

I may take you up on this and your other macro packages once I get my SAM Template completed.It may require some coaching from you if enable all the features you have designed into the package.  What I am wondering is..."Why is the LIVING AREA (grayed out) in Layout?"

3 minutes ago, mrscott said:

What I am wondering is..."Why is the LIVING AREA (grayed out) in Layout?"

It's a function of the plan not the Layout.

1 minute ago, mrscott said:

"Why is the LIVING AREA (grayed out) in Layout?"

Because it isn't supported in Layout.  It's only a function of the Plan. See the Help File (Defaults - Plan - Living Area)

"It's a function of the plan not the Layout"....okay....It must be there for a reason I have yet to discover. So, the search continues.

Thanks,

Scott,

"Living Area" is an attribute of Rooms.  Rooms (including the phantom room defined for the "Living Area Label") only exist in the Plan, not in the Layout.  The Layout is only Sheet Size 2D CAD. 

My macros to display the Table and the Totals will work in Layout because they are accessing the Global variables created by the first one in the Plan.  OTOH, I prefer to put them in a CAD Detail Window in the Plan and send that to Layout.  It's much cleaner and more reliable.

Joe,

Any idea why Chief would have it show up in Layout? If it is not applicable to Layout then why is it in the Macro list in Layout at all?

I guess I should have checked the Help Files before asking the Forum. Sometimes it is quicker to ask the experts than to get bogged down searching HELP, Videos, or The Manual for answers. Of course ALL are very informative but often get me "Off Task".

Thanks again,

5 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Any idea why Chief would have it show up in Layout? If it is not applicable to Layout then why is it in the Macro list in Layout at all?

It's a matter of menu programming.  It's much easier to set the "access/color" of a menu item than is is to create a completely separate menu.  Menus and Hotkeys are independent of the current active window within Chief - so the menus are shared but the accessibility of each item is dependent on the active window.

9 hours ago, mrscott said:

Guys,

There is a %Living.area% macro in Layout but is Grayed out. I would like to use this figure on my cover page plan title. How do I get it there and have it remain dynamic with plan changes? 

Thanks,

3 ways...

1.  Use macros created by Joe, myself, or others.

2.  Create your own custom macros

3.  Just create your desired text box in plan and send it to layout using a very small layout window.  You just have to make sure your text box in plan is in a nice and stable position. 

So, kind of like the way I do my Schedules where i place them somewhere on the plan view and send that view to Layout and crop what I want to see. That works.

Thanks,

Mike/Joe,

What I did...

1. In Plan under "Annotation Sets" create a New Annoset/Layer Set Called "General Annotations - 1/2" Scale" Edit the 7 Attributes as desired, OK
  2. Select "Layer Display Options" and make a copy of the TEXT, RICH and Rename it "TEXT, RICH, GENERAL ANNOTATIONS 1/2"" OK
  3. Select Level 1, and in my case, choose the new Annoset.
  4. Using Rich Text entered the Macro %Living,area% (Anywhere on the screen)
  5. Sent it to Layout and positioned it as desired. (BEAUTIFUL!)
  6. In Plan,and from any layer, make sure the "TEXT, RICH, GENERAL ANNOTATIONS 1/2"" LAYER is set to display only on that layer (Modify ALL).
  7. What's interesting is I can turn off the display in PLAN and it still reports just fine in Layout.

We'll see how it goes from here but a cool first shot.

Thanks Guys,

Living Area Macro - On.PNG

Living Area Macro - off.PNG

Living Area Macro - in Layout.PNG

On 1/5/2017 at 10:39 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

1.  %Living Areas Get Totals%    - when placed in the Default Room Label accumulates all Floor Living Areas
  2.  %Living Areas Table% - placed in a Text Box displays each Floor Living Area and the Total
  3.  %Living Areas Total% - placed in a Text Box displays the Total Living Area of all Floors

Joe,

I want to purchase the above. How do you want to process this transaction?

On 1/5/2017 at 11:39 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

Joe, is this something you still have?

55 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

Joe, is this something you still have?

Also interested.