ericepv

I just got a request from a good client of mine for a 3D render of a housing development in fall or winter, they want to show the planning board what the view will be like for the neighbors without all the leaves on the trees. I started looking for icons of bare trees and shrubs online and have found a few so far. I also thought about bringing in a snow covered ground image as a material for the terrain. If anyone has ever done a project like this I'd appreciate your suggestions.

I just got a request from a good client of mine for a 3D render of a housing development in fall or winter, they want to show the planning board what the view will be like for the neighbors without all the leaves on the trees. I started looking for icons of bare trees and shrubs online and have found a few so far. I also thought about bringing in a snow covered ground image as a material for the terrain. If anyone has ever done a project like this I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Never done it...but got me thinking.

I took the 3d trees and using the material selector, I changed all the leaf material to 100% transparent.   Worked like a charm!   

For mounds of snow, the landscape feature would work well.  Just put the right material on it.  I would imagine you could start with just white and experiment from there.     You just have to crank up the triangle count on the terrain to get them small enough to look good in small areas.    

I've done some snow scenes using some small symbols made from custom countertops with quarter round edge moldings (white for snow) which I used in a material region.  By setting the spacing and offsets you can get very smooth and/or lumpy snow.  For the Roof, I made a similar symbol which was set as "flush mounted on roof" (2 options for exterior fixtures).  By using different thicknesses you can change the snow depth.

The material regions allow you to limit where the "snow" exists and where it doesn't.  If the symbols are defined on their own custom layer you can simply turn of that layer to change to a different season.

• 1 year later...

I took the 3d trees and using the material selector, I changed all the leaf material to 100% transparent.   Worked like a charm! 

I am using X7. How do you only change the leaves to transparency?  I can only get it to change the whole tree, not just the leaves. 

Thank you!

Caroline

• 5 years later...

Anyone tried to do this since? I'm looking to just show the branches. I turned off the bloom time, leaves, no difference

Is there a material that is "transparent"? The material is embedded in the tree symbol. Is there a way to get it out and then change it to transparent?

image.png.e0097faa13f52490b6bd4b932bf8f08f.png

image.thumb.png.deae5d347b8637284cd53cd0caed5455.png

In a 3D view use the rainbow tool (Adjust Material Definition).

Select the vegetation material, open it's dbx, go to the Properties panel and turn the Transparency up to 100%.

This will not work in a vector view, but will work in Standard or Physically Based views.

These are the same tree:

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 8.46.06 pm.jpg

10 hours ago, SH_Canada said:

Anyone tried to do this since? I'm looking to just show the branches. I turned off the bloom time, leaves, no difference

Is there a material that is "transparent"? The material is embedded in the tree symbol. Is there a way to get it out and then change it to transparent?

image.png.e0097faa13f52490b6bd4b932bf8f08f.png

image.thumb.png.deae5d347b8637284cd53cd0caed5455.png

Just to mention this box is simply a search tool for plants. It has no changing of any of the components of the plants rather just filters the plants.