X7 First Favorites

Adam_Gibson

There are some major improvements in this release. So far, my favorite is the Active Layer Display Options window. Holy moly, what a time saver! Since it's always open (in my case on a second monitor), anything I select in my plan is automatically selected in the layer window. It makes displaying and changing objects and their attributes a snap!

There are other great features that I'm sure we'll all proclaim. Having said that, my opinion of this release is that it's an improvement for our workflow, but not a milestone (stairs anyone?). They can't all be huge releases though, and I welcome this one.  My 2¢.

It's been affectionately called the ALDO and I thought it was uber cool as well but I've noticed I simply don't use it. Saddened a bit by that and maybe it will get worked into my routine but for some reason it goes unused. Maybe that will change.

As I've posted the transparent fills are great and the continue same line type is awesome. Draw a line and you can continue to draw that line with a handle that wasn't there previously. Great for CAD work.

Cabinets have been improved but overall I don't need/use most of the new features. But having said that the release is just 'better' than it was before in small incremental ways that really helps work flow.

I haven't used the new line features yet, but I look forward to it. I just noticed another thing that's cool. I like to render using the watercolor tool. I've lessened my use of photorealistic raytraces in order to provide a more abstract look for clients, but many of the manufacturer's stone textures take forever to render. Not anymore! It flies through it. I don't even have time to write this post. 

Still waiting for a cabinet lift-door. Maybe someday. . . .

There are some major improvements in this release. So far, my favorite is the Active Layer Display Options window. Holy moly, what a time saver! Since it's always open (in my case on a second monitor), anything I select in my plan is automatically selected in the layer window. It makes displaying and changing objects and their attributes a snap!

There are other great features that I'm sure we'll all proclaim. Having said that, my opinion of this release is that it's an improvement for our workflow, but not a milestone (stairs anyone?). They can't all be huge releases though, and I welcome this one.  My 2¢.

You know, this is a good example of what i've referred to in other posts.  Not having to enter dialog boxes so often is a huge overall time-saver and I would love to see CA develop further along these lines.

Couldn't agree more Johnny but was wondering if you are using X7 and more specifically are you using the ALDO? I'm asking because I was super excited about the feature but find I'm not using it - at all. Not sure why I can't/won't work it into my work flow but it's too big (even though I have 2 monitors) and can't be resized to after showing only a couple columns and just seems awkward to use in every day practice. Was wondering what others' experiences were

I've heard mixed feedback on the efficiency gains of using docked layer display options dialog.

Some feel it is a big productivity boost, others not so much.

The way some people use layers they don't change them very often so they would not get much of a gain. Others change them a lot so it would be a big gain. I'm not saying that one method is better than the other, but there would be a definite perceptual difference in how useful this dialog would be depending on how you work.

It is certainly a nice feature if you are in the habit of changing the display properties of layers a lot or turning them on/off a lot.

But if you use layer sets to turn things on and off then your work flow is probably not going have as much of a productivity gain.

I will say this one more time in case somebody missed it.  There is no way having the ALDO open continuously is faster than hitting a hot key to open it.  

If you guys want the ALDO open all the time,  super,  but if you are looking for speed,  try linking the ALDO to a hot key,  hit the hot key,  it opens where it was located last time  (probably in middle of screen where your cursor is located),  no need to move mouse to second monitor,  make your changes and hit the return key and it is gone.

Repeat as needed.  

BTW,  unlike Larry,  I use the ALDO many times during the day,  the guy I am training uses it multiple times in a 3 hour session.....  it is second nature to he and I.

Seriously guys,  try the hot key for a day,  it will change the way you use the ALDO.

I've used the hot key but never got used to it. Much prefer the new method.

Then you should stick with what you feel most comfortable with.  

Sometimes it is difficult to challenge ourselves to adapt to a different method in spite of the advantages of the different methods.

I am in the process of training a 45  year old who has been using a computer for many years.  A very very sharp guy.  He is right handed.  I suggested he switch to using the mouse in his left hand in spite of the fact he is right handed.  He embraced the challenge and now he wonders why he did not try it sooner.  He no longer has a problem using the mouse in his left hand.

This guy is using hot keys for just about everything he does.  No problem.  He recognizes the advantages.  He cannot imagine using the icons.

If someone told me I would do my work quicker by standing on my head,  I would do it.....   just saying....

I suggested he switch to using the mouse in his left hand in spite of the fact he is right handed.  He embraced the challenge and now he wonders why he did not try it sooner.  He no longer has a problem using the mouse in his left hand.

Am I safe in assuming you/he has a left handed mouse?

Then you should stick with what you feel most comfortable with.  

Sometimes it is difficult to challenge ourselves to adapt to a different method in spite of the advantages of the different methods.

I am in the process of training a 45  year old who has been using a computer for many years.  A very very sharp guy.  He is right handed.  I suggested he switch to using the mouse in his left hand in spite of the fact he is right handed.  He embraced the challenge and now he wonders why he did not try it sooner.  He no longer has a problem using the mouse in his left hand.

This guy is using hot keys for just about everything he does.  No problem.  He recognizes the advantages.  He cannot imagine using the icons.

If someone told me I would do my work quicker by standing on my head,  I would do it.....   just saying....

Makes sense.. Most of us are right handed yet we use our less dominant hand to keyboard .. a more important task if you hot-key a lot... Still can't imagine switching though.. First I'd have to buy a left handed trackball.. (which by the way is MUCH quicker than a regular mouse.. ;-))

Wanted to second the awesome Active Layers window always on...huge time saver.  Loving it.