Molding Polyline At Doors Or Walls Not Wanted

4hotshoez

Some time ago I posted a similar problem and I reviewed the answer again, but I need some clarification. The molding creates a base molding in a room very nicely until there is a wall (like around the fireplace) where I do not want a base molding like the rest of the room.

1. I was told that when drawing a polyline for molding that once converted to a molding it will not be placed in front of doors or windows if the line crosses in front of the opening. But that does not seem to be true unless I am doing something wrong.

2. I was told that I could select sections (or walls) at a time and remove molding from that wall or section. I am not sure of the steps I might be missing to make this work.

3. Then I removed the base molding from the room and drew a polyline only where I wanted the base molding, because using the room polyline created a strange profile that did not follow the inside face of the room. Then I had the problem in 1.

Any help in explaining how to do this?

Thanks 

Todd, Select the Room and use the "Create Room Molding Polyline" Tool. Set that as a "Base" molding. The door openings will not have a molding. If the shape isn't what you want then it's probably because you have some invisible walls that define rooms. The molding should always follow the inside perimeter of the room. Polylines can be broken wherever you don't want a molding and then by selecting that segment you can specify "no moldinge on this segment".

Todd:

Do as Joe said ... in front of your fireplace put a couple of line breaks, then select that segment and designate it as having no molding.  You can move those break locations around by dragging if you don't get them precisely where you want them the 1st time.

the height needs to be higher than 0" for it to be blank at the  windows, so it crosses them.

I have not tried it yet, but will it break it if I adjust the height after it has been created and the molding moves up into a window?

I have not tried it yet, but will it break it if I adjust the height after it has been created and the molding moves up into a window?

No, no no,  you must be correct with the height first,  the breaks will not happen if you move the molding later.

I think you may have found a bug.

If you actually have a base molding on your room and use the make room molding polyline at a height of 0, it will generate how my picture shows. If you don't have a molding, and use height 0, it looks like it leaks under some of the walls. If you put in a height of 1" though, it will look right. I would report this to Chief because I can't think of a good reason why the polyline should ever go into the walls.

Todd,

When you create th3e Room Molding Polyline - select the Drop Down and select "Base Molding" as the one to convert.  That should make a big difference.

In my frustration I deleted the base molding and then did a room molding polyline, but there was no drop down  option for "base mold"

Joe, I thought of doing that, but I wanted to see what I could do by raising the room molding polyline to 1" before creating it and then select the segments not needed to be molding. Then I lowered the molding polyline back to 0". Learned a lot of valuable little stuff today. 

with your file if I click-

- "make make room molding polyline" and leave it set to 0 I get what you got.

-Do the same and set to 4" and I get what Arthur got.

-make room polyline- then convert to molding polyline- get a pline with fewer nodes.

post-85-0-64969000-1421362900_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-32708700-1421362911_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-23992400-1421362919_thumb.jpg

1. I was told that when drawing a polyline for molding that once converted to a molding it will not be placed in front of doors or windows if the line crosses in front of the opening. But that does not seem to be true unless I am doing something wrong.

2. I was told that I could select sections (or walls) at a time and remove molding from that wall or section. I am not sure of the steps I might be missing to make this work.

3. Then I removed the base molding from the room and drew a polyline only where I wanted the base molding, because using the room polyline created a strange profile that did not follow the inside face of the room. Then I had the problem in 1.

Any help in explaining how to do this?

1. This is not correct. If you manually draw a molding polyline, you will have to manually add breaks and turn the molding off for any edges that you don't want to have molding. Even if you use the Make Room Polyline tool, you will still have to manually add breaks for all of the openings. If you use the Make Room Molding Polyline tool, the program will automatically add breaks and turn the molding off for any doors and windows depending on the height of the polyline when it is created. Once the molding polyline is created though, it will not automatically update if you change it's height or move any walls, windows, or doors. It will behave exactly like a manual one from then on.

2. You can select any edge of a molding polyline and turn off the molding in the specification dialog. In X7, you will also be able to use an edit toolbar button to do this which should be a little easier and faster.

3. This is the hard way. If you use the Make Room Molding Polyline tool, it will automatically remove the molding from the room after the molding polyline is created.

Your picture also shows a bug. The room molding polyline should normally never go beyond the walls of the room. You can expand it into other rooms using the Expand Room Polyline tool but this should only expand it past room divider or invisible walls. It should never go into walls like shown in your picture. I believe this has something to do with the height being set to 0 and not having a molding profile. The good news is that this has already been fixed in X7. One of the many bug fixes that probably won't show up in the "What's New in X7" list. BTW, the public beta test for X7 will be starting in only 5 days.

I would also encourage you to report these kinds of problems to our tech support team if you run into them in the future. We don't usually read Chieftalk posts looking for bugs so it is unlikely that discussing a bug on this forum will result in it getting fixed.

1. This is not correct. If you manually draw a molding polyline, you will have to manually add breaks and turn the molding off for any edges that you don't want to have molding. Even if you use the Make Room Polyline tool, you will still have to manually add breaks for all of the openings. If you use the Make Room Molding Polyline tool, the program will automatically add breaks and turn the molding off for any doors and windows depending on the height of the polyline when it is created. Once the molding polyline is created though, it will not automatically update if you change it's height or move any walls, windows, or doors. It will behave exactly like a manual one from then on.

2. You can select any edge of a molding polyline and turn off the molding in the specification dialog. In X7, you will also be able to use an edit toolbar button to do this which should be a little easier and faster.

3. This is the hard way. If you use the Make Room Molding Polyline tool, it will automatically remove the molding from the room after the molding polyline is created.

Your picture also shows a bug. The room molding polyline should normally never go beyond the walls of the room. You can expand it into other rooms using the Expand Room Polyline tool but this should only expand it past room divider or invisible walls. It should never go into walls like shown in your picture. I believe this has something to do with the height being set to 0 and not having a molding profile. The good news is that this has already been fixed in X7. One of the many bug fixes that probably won't show up in the "What's New in X7" list. BTW, the public beta test for X7 will be starting in only 5 days.

I would also encourage you to report these kinds of problems to our tech support team if you run into them in the future. We don't usually read Chieftalk posts looking for bugs so it is unlikely that discussing a bug on this forum will result in it getting fixed.

1. So how do you do this for the building exterior?

2. Yay for X7!

3. Good to know.

Some one mentioned a bug, but I would not have know otherwise, I am glad it is fixed.

Just noticed something about base molding that seems to control the room polygon. The normal base molding is placed on top of the finished floor. So in a tiled bath room the top of finish is 1/2" so the room molding polygon is set at 1/2" high. If I remove the base molding and ask for a room molding polygon to be drawn at a height of 0" the polygon slips under walls and messes up the polygon with complex and multiple nodes. The room molding polygon and room polygon must be set to above the floor finish for it to draw correctly. However, we have been told that this has been corrected in X7.