CALLOUTS IN LAYOUT VIEW

winterdd

For those of us who call out material in layout views; is there a way to lock them in place if the views change in size? In this situation the house size grew and the existing layout views needed stretching to capture the new area. As soon as those grips are pulled the callouts go nuts. Been battling this for several years and just now decided to ask.

image.thumb.png.9ea9b183ff1c23e8bfc4b9614edd084c.png

6 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Stop doing this!
This is a terrible practice. Especially when you take the leap to macros.

Advice taken Rene.....it has just seemed easier. It avoids text hitting text and trying to fit the view on the sheet once the labeled views are brought into layout. If that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes it makes sense but for some reason it does not make sense to chief or they would fix the problem that plagues the process.

I will say that once I started using "labels" that really has helped in other views. However, elevations are different.

10 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Advice taken Rene.....it has just seemed easier. It avoids text hitting text and trying to fit the view on the sheet once the labeled views are brought into layout. If that makes sense. 

My Elevations are already sent to layout. I typically start compiling for layout before I start annotating. Maybe find an order of operations that work. Layout is dumb, as in no smart features tie it to the model, no classifications, no BIM. Think of layout as a PDF compiler.
The process is the same for making a brochure. Make the content, and before you start organizing graphics, ensure that the media can be arranged within the print page margins.

I completely agree with Rene and the others.  You should add all of your annotations in your actual views and not on the layout.  The only things you should put on your layout pages are the things that should be part of the page itself, like page borders, title bars, and what not.

As far as the "problems" that you are having, my best guess is that your line with an arrow that is attached to your text object is also attached to your layout box border.  If you resize or move the layout box, then the arrow head will also move.  So a possible solution is to not let the arrow attach to anything else.  You can do this in the Line Specification dialog by turning off "Attach Head to Other Objects".  You can also do this in your Arrow Defaults for your layout to prevent this from happening for any new arrows drawn.

Just to be clear though, if you move or resize your layout box, you will still need to adjust any annotations you have put on your layout pages.  There is no way to tie any annotations on a layout page to any objects that are inside your views.  

attached arrow.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dermot said:

I completely agree with Rene and the others.  You should add all of your annotations in your actual views and not on the layout.  The only things you should put on your layout pages are the things that should be part of the page itself, like page borders, title bars, and what not.

As far as the "problems" that you are having, my best guess is that your line with an arrow that is attached to your text object is also attached to your layout box border.  If you resize or move the layout box, then the arrow head will also move.  So a possible solution is to not let the arrow attach to anything else.  You can do this in the Line Specification dialog by turning off "Attach Head to Other Objects".  You can also do this in your Arrow Defaults for your layout to prevent this from happening for any new arrows drawn.

Just to be clear though, if you move or resize your layout box, you will still need to adjust any annotations you have put on your layout pages.  There is no way to tie any annotations on a layout page to any objects that are inside your views.  

attached arrow.png

More good advice!

6 hours ago, Dermot said:

The only things you should put on your layout pages are the things that should be part of the page itself, like page borders, title bars, and what not.

i think Scott h uses callouts and scale descriptions on the layouts in his demo videos, which I have followed and am happy with it as they never need to be resized

1 hour ago, jasonn1234 said:

i think Scott h uses callouts and scale descriptions on the layouts in his demo videos, which I have followed and am happy with it as they never need to be resized

None of his finished work uses notes or callouts in Layout, it really is an uncommon practice. Plan carries with it so much BIM component based information. Not only do you miss out on the opportunity to take advantage of this information, but you cannot globally change active defaults if you are annotating in layout. 
Punny as it is, annotating in Layout is "dumb" as in we have no "smart" features to utilize.

23 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

None of his finished work uses notes or callouts in Layout,

I recall him saying it in a video that he chose to do it that way (callouts on layout for elevations). annotating elevations is a different story. but I was more commenting that some things other than just the page details should perhaps be on layout.  If you look at brekenridge layout, all the descriptions are on the layout. see below. callous for the kitchen elevations are all on layout. same with description and scale

image.thumb.png.93878a43d11497f8e182adc2e5701233.png

I followed him and my template has these pre done(below). I have a global variable for elevation scale and global variable for plan scale, which then takes care of most use cases. The advantage I see is that you can see the placement in layout easer relative to others on the same page. As well, you never have to change the font scale.

image.thumb.png.14cd43106ec1d29ce1fadf413e0c39bc.png

16 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

same with description and scale

These are some of the few elements that carry macro values, which is why I use them as well. But annotations, such as the OP was suggesting, are ill advised. All of SH text notes are in plan, as well as elevation callouts or notes.

"The only things you should put on your layout pages are the things that should be part of the page itself, like page borders, title bars, and what not."

The "what not" I used in this statement was deliberately open-ended.  There are a number of other things that probably only make sense on layout pages, such as your page table or your revision table.  You may also want to put custom view labels on the layout page rather than use the automatic layout box labels or make these labels part of the view.  (On a side note, layout box labels will have some nice improvements in X14 that may make using them more appealing for many people).  Regardless, it's really up to you to decide if something is part of the view or part of the layout.

• Upvote 2

Basic Notes and Boiler Plate belong in your custom Layout Template.

Anything that relates directly to the plan - aka the model - including annotation should be included in the plan.  That includes all annotation, etc in the Floor Plans ( Arcitectural, Structural, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical, etc). Elevations, Sections, Wall Sections, Details, Schedules, etc ---- should be done in the Plan File(s) and sent to Layout pages.

• Upvote 1