Standing Metal Seam with PBR Causes Ridge Caps To Look Like Plywood

jarrex

For some reason with PBR Enabled, standing metal seam roof ridge caps look like plywood instead of a metal cap:

Settings

image.png.b109f6de713e1671ea8fe59d7661db0c.png

Standard Rendering:

image.thumb.png.18b44fc267301f882cf87877dac51d3b.png

PBR:

image.thumb.png.5b343a1ed87cecdffe93d1c78a1ef005.png

Is this a known rendering bug or is there something I can do to resolve this?

13 minutes ago, jarrex said:

For some reason with PBR Enabled, standing metal seam roof ridge caps look like plywood instead of a metal cap:

Settings

image.png.b109f6de713e1671ea8fe59d7661db0c.png

Standard Rendering:

image.thumb.png.18b44fc267301f882cf87877dac51d3b.png

PBR:

image.thumb.png.5b343a1ed87cecdffe93d1c78a1ef005.png

Is this a known rendering bug or is there something I can do to resolve this?

Having the exact same problem .. 

Off topic, but I get the feeling that every house built right now is white barn siding with black windows.

I like the look but expect it to fizzle in a few years and look really faddish. Kinda like, what happened to brushed gold hardware? Flash in the pan.

Does Joanna Gaines really have this much influence?? I guess so...

Changed the surface to 10" which still displays the same OSB:

image.thumb.png.8447fce0c07fccaf8e0066b3509d3d69.png

Created a copy of the Black Standing Seam, copied the texture source as the bump map, and then inverted it and it changed it slightly (looks like it just is a bit less bright) but it's still there:

image.thumb.png.8f44b674132e851ba72fec5d032ab6a1.png

Okay, I got a makeshift work-around to get it to visibly work but not sure if it will mess with anything. 

In the roof surface I added a 2nd exact replica of the black standing seam

image.thumb.png.b6609de0255c8feaf09418492708a43b.png

Not sure if this might mess up anything else but so far it seems to be okay (inside and out)

3 minutes ago, jarrex said:

Okay, I got a makeshift work-around to get it to visibly work but not sure if it will mess with anything. 

In the roof surface I added a 2nd exact replica of the black standing seam

Great work !   Unfortunately it will really mess up your material list but you might be able to work with that as long as you are aware.

It would be good to get to the bottom of the issue though.  Do you have one inverted and one regular bump map ?

Perhaps @CADustin could comment if this is a material issue or a rendering problem that should be sent to tech support.

5 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Great work !   Unfortunately it will really mess up your material list but you might be able to work with that as long as you are aware.

It would be good to get to the bottom of the issue though.  Do you have one inverted and one regular bump map ?

Perhaps @CADustin could comment if this is a material issue or a rendering problem that should be sent to tech support.

To be honest, I am not too familiar with bump maps, when I copied the core metal roofing model it had no bump map referenced, just a texture source. When I added the same image to the bump map and then checked "inverted" it reduced the visibility of the OSB slightly, not 100% sure if that's what you're asking though. 

2 minutes ago, jarrex said:

When I added the same image to the bump map and then checked "inverted" it reduced the visibility of the OSB slightly, not 100% sure if that's what you're asking though.

Just wanted to clarify if both layers were using the exact same settings...  If you made a copy of the existing layer with the inverted bump map or got a stock material file from the library.  I am not much of a materials guy but like to see the software working correctly and be user friendly. :)

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Just wanted to clarify if both layers were using the exact same settings...  If you made a copy of the existing layer with the inverted bump map or got a stock material file from the library.  I am not much of a materials guy but like to see the software working correctly and be user friendly. :)

Ah yes, they were using the exact same settings. I do feel like (in my limited experience as I am just a lowly homeowner trying to 3d model their house) this is a bug with the material or with the rendering as I cannot fathom standing metal seam ever exposing the OSB underneath using the default settings -- and because it works in other rendering situations (Standard / Watercolor/etc.).