Exterior Fly By

ARCBC30

Everyone,

Once again i want to thank everyone for all their help- this forumn is awesome!

I woudl like to do a flyby of the exterior of the model have built. What i want to do is fly the camera around the house but have the camera constantly turning so that it is always looking at the house. I hope that makes sense. i would also like the camera to change levels as well. is this possible in chief? Can someone nudge me in the right direction if so.

Generate a Perspective Full Overview.

Start the walkthrough (fly around).

Use the left or right arrow key to rotate the model one frame at a time.

Instead of using the arrow key to rotate the model one frame at a time you can use Ctrl+Alt+S to auto spin the model continuously. 

There are all sorts of commands to move the camera in any direction you want, including up and down.

Are you wanting to use this 'flyby' just for yourself or as a video to show/send to your client(s)? If it's the latter, you can do record a video along a walkthrough path. I do it quite often. Here's how:

- Draw a CAD circle (80 to 100ft radius, or whatever is needed) and center it on the house as best you can

- Select the circle and click 'Convert Polyline' tool and change it to a walkthrough path. 

- Select the walkthrough path and open its dbx

- Change the camera angle to 270º for both frames 1 & 2, which will make the camera face towards the center of the circle.

- Set the height to whatever is desired (unless someone else can chime in with a way, I don't think you can have the camera change levels part way through the video...)

- Adjust duration, time after, etc. as desired

- Click 'Record walkthrough along path'

These files can get quite large, so I tend to make them just short clips (~20 seconds). Even then, they are still too large to email, so I share Dropbox links of these videos with my clients.

You'll probably have to do a couple trials to fine tune the settings to the way you like.

Here's an example of one of my videos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d9c9jqr046wgja/Cook%20Residence%20-%20Concept%201.1%20-%20Flyaround%20Video.mov?dl=0

• Upvote 1

LevisL - you've got it- i want to make a Video I can send to teh clients- i think your method will work- i am going to give it a try- if it works Ill post a link so you guys can see the final result- Thanks for teh DropBox tip i think thats the best way to go because i am going to do several videos. Thankks again

Glennw- your info on camera movement is very helpful- it will make navigation a lot more simple!

I use "Snagit" for screen capture videos, very simple and easy to do in less time, uses "MP4" format, everyone can view it. No walkthrough to set up. Just record your camera views. Your voice will also record to tell your client what you did and why.

I use "Snagit" for screen capture videos, very simple and easy to do in less time, uses "MP4" format, everyone can view it. No walkthrough to set up. Just record your camera views. Your voice will also record to tell your client what you did and why.

I took Perry's advice and bought the program. I did the trial first and did have to get a microphone. I've sent a couple of MP4's already and got a good response. The program is relatively inexpensive and much easier than the walk through. It has limited editing of the video and no editing of the audio. Haven't tried anything interior, but should work just fine. Whatever is on your screen can be recorded. I think more refinement will require Camtasia.

I never edit but can somewhat if I wanted to. The client gets what they get even a small error but a huge error, I would just re-do it. It only takes the time to do the video 3 , 4 minutes and done. To me its a better way of communicating  then a walkthrough.

LevisL your advice worked perfectly - here are the results! Your method was very easy .

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b98zl3o5qyxg4p7/AAAws06LgE1t58M4y_Dk6OgFa?dl=0

Nice work ARCBC30!

... uses "MP4" format, everyone can view it.

You can save the Chief walkthroughs in that format too!

post-108-0-30983600-1417708307_thumb.png

...much easier than the walk through.

It all depends on the walkthrough. For an exterior fly-around like this, it's about as simple as it can get. I can do one in the same time or less than you guys claim... and no need for other software! Granted I don't have audio to go with it, but to me, that doesn't matter. 

You said it takes you 3 to 4 minutes. That's all it takes me to do a flyaround walkthrough! Draw a circle, convert to walkthrough path, adjust settings and hit record. I have a cheat sheet for the settings beside my computer, and they're the same (or close) every time. Nothing to it!

Perry, what do you consider "a very large file" to be?

I did a 6 1/2 minute walkthrough of my 2 acre site plan

and the file size was a tidy little 390 MB. Sheesh! If I

continue to flesh out this plan the walkthrough might

not fit on a DVD. I'm a little confused by what you are

calling "screen capture videos". So what you are doing

is piecing together a series of individual screen shots

with a voice over as opposed to an actual animated

(for lack of a better word) video? Care to post a little

sample?

BTW, not to hijack the thread but this was my first foray

into using Dropbox and I must say that I am completely

underwhelmed by the experience. My crappy little 20 

second 4.5 MB fly around file posted above displays

much better (crisp image and smooth as butter rotation)

with the Windows Media Player than it does when displayed 

on the dropbox link. Is this one of those you get what you

pay for deals and since I didn't pay anything (i.e. free

version) I'm getting what I paid for? And oh yeah, that

annoying "sign up for dropbox" window that appears on 

the link, am I right in assuming that it would go away if I

cough up the 10 bucks a month for the pro version?

Yes 390 mb is a large file and what I create is a real time movie of the site and house. a walkthrough does what you are talking about. Try to send that 390 MB file anywhere, some apps and your internet connection might not allow it unless you are using another 3rd party program to do it-like dropbox. I use "SnagIt", they have a free version for you to test it. There are lots of other programs to use. here is something I sent to t.c.

<a href="http://www.screencast.com/t/HOSohcwgBo">11.21.2014-11.19.54</a>

And may I ask what size file you end up with and does it send instantly? I just send a link and anyone can view it. Maybe you can do a video of 3 min walkthrough including setup of the camera's

For a 20 second clip, the file size is usually in the 30-50MB range (15 to 20 frames per second). And just like you, I send a link and anyone can view it. It's a Dropbox shared link, but the recipient doesn't need Dropbox to view it. I'll see if I can do a video on my method. 

LevisL - I do not see anywhere in chief that you have options for video format. I only see avi.

WHere is the option for other formats?

When Chief asks you where to save the file, it's at the bottom of that dbx (see the image in post #10 above). Is that perhaps something the Mac version has but not the Windows version???

BTW, not to hijack the thread but this was my first foray

into using Dropbox and I must say that I am completely

underwhelmed by the experience. My crappy little 20 

second 4.5 MB fly around file posted above displays

much better (crisp image and smooth as butter rotation)

with the Windows Media Player than it does when displayed 

on the dropbox link. Is this one of those you get what you

pay for deals and since I didn't pay anything (i.e. free

version) I'm getting what I paid for? And oh yeah, that

annoying "sign up for dropbox" window that appears on 

the link, am I right in assuming that it would go away if I

cough up the 10 bucks a month for the pro version?

I agree that if you view the video in the Dropbox player, the quality is terrible! Actually, maybe worse than terrible!!! But if you download the file instead (button at the top right), you will get the same crispness as the original recording. Other than their built-in video player, I don't have a single complaint with Dropbox! I do pay the $99/yr and it's worth it to me. My files are all synced between my laptop and desktop (including my Chief Data folder and library). Haven't had a problem yet.