Is There A Way To Copy Cameras?

4hotshoez

No.  As Kevin said, you may not copy cameras.  You CAN however try this...

1.  Do a "Save As" of your plan (giving it a new name of course).

2.  Lock the camera layer(s) (and make sure the rest are all unlocked)

3.  Marquis select everything and hit delete.

4.  Clean up anything else that may have failed to delete.

5.  Open your alternate plan (the one without cameras), select all, and cut

6.  Go back to your plan with only cameras and "paste hold position"

7.  Save As the new plan with cameras using the desired name

No.  As Kevin said, you may not copy cameras.  You CAN however try this...

2.  Lock ALL the layers in your plan except the camera layer(s)

5.  Open your alternate plan (the one without cameras), select all, and cut

Or you could take another camera shot.....

• Upvote 1

Or you could take another camera shot.....

True, but if you want them to be positioned EXACTLY the same and/or have tons of them set up, that can be extremely time consuming.  You should be one to talk anyway....Mister SAVE AS   :-)

You know, I think I might start calling you D. SAM Hall...what in D. SAM Hall is going on here!!?  Yep...I like it.

I hate to be the contrarian.... ( I really don't),........  but the problem with this is if any of the floors and ceilings of the copied  plan are NOT DEFAULT heights,  it ain't gunna work...... Michael......  note the capitalization......  I am am still thinking of that sand thingy.........

I hate to be the contrarian.... ( I really don't),........  but the problem with this is if any of the floors and ceilings of the copied  plan are NOT DEFAULT heights,  it ain't gunna work...... Michael......  note the capitalization......  I am am still thinking of that sand thingy.........

Oh well...I tried.

You still owe me some sand or a chili dog though.  This wasn't part of our bet.

Now that I think about it a little more, I think it might be easier to change ceiling heights (where necessary) than it would be to replace all the cameras...maybe.

set up all your cameras BEFORE making alternate plans and then make SAVE AS copies of those plans with cameras and all before making your changes

Michael:

too many times the client asks for an alternative afterwards

or the designer thinks of a few more things to try

Lew

set up all your cameras BEFORE making alternate plans and then make SAVE AS copies of those plans with cameras and all before making your changes

Michael:

too many times the client asks for an alternative afterwards

or the designer thinks of a few more things to try

Lew

I understand the problems.  Just stressing the ideal time to do things if you want to "copy" cameras.

On the same note, anyone who saves all their cameras wouldn't have a problem doing what I said if people wanted to see changes late in the game.  The problems would arise mostly when making changes in the middle of the process...not at the end. 

The problem was that I set up cameras on a small plan, but I forgot to save the cameras, then did a SAVE AS to make changes to the alternate design. The cameras came with the saveas, but they did not stay in the first version of the design. I realize my mistake so I was hoping there was a way to copy the cameras back to the first plan. I do not understand that if the cameras are objects, why can't they be copy and pasted from plan to plan?

Anyway I was able to get by on this smaller project, but next time...

There should definitely be a way to copy cameras. I'll use this opportunity to stump for one of my posts in the suggestion forum...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2635-duplicate-tabs/

...that would create a duplicate tab that copies the camera view, with an option to create a new camera at the same time. This is only within the same plan, so it doesn't solve copying cameras between plans.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading another thread and realized that my sequence listed above actually should work with one minor tweak....

2.  Lock the camera layer(s) (and make sure the rest are all unlocked)

5.  Open your alternate plan (the one without cameras), make sure everything is unlocked, and using "Edit Area (All Floors)" marquis select all, and cut

That seems to work for me.  What do you think Scott?

I haven't used it on any extremely complex plans, but I tested with a quick and simple plan, and using "edit area", the non-default ceiling heights seem to transfer to the new plan just fine.

Well that is interesting. I thought I had tried copying a lan without default heights and it blew up. I must try it tomorrow.

Can you copy a terrain from one plan to another?

You can't copy a terrain perimeter at all (even within the same plan) - it just pastes as a polyline.

BUT what you can do is save the terrain perimeter to the library and then place it in another plan.