Window & Door Toppers

MichaelaS

3 hours ago, MichaelaS said:

@SNestor

Thank you for the great video! When I get to the point of applying my saved block "window & door topper" to the window it does not appear in my user catalog. Any advice? 

image.thumb.png.ab96a6af14479bd22874ea593886a3c9.pngimage.thumb.png.a61b49a163e78f59a6d7354c27d65da8.png

1 - draw your molding

2 - Select all the moldings

3- Add to Library.  It should appear in your catalog as "molding".  Rename it if you want.
          (Use the Add to Library or...the Stacked Molding menu button. Either will work)

4 - Open the Window dialog.  Go to lintel tab.  Choose the lintel you just made.  Select extend and wrap as needed.

That's really all there is to it.

@SNestor

That is another problem I have been having. When I select the molding, the "add to library" feature doesn't always appear. 

image.thumb.png.75a9db2082601a76eefe6229695f950a.png

@Joe_Carrick

I believe I have... When I open the object it automatically has it saved in the molding layer. Is that proper? But when I was able to create the block it didn't ask about anything regarding moldings that I can recall. 

image.thumb.png.aa7ea5b45dbb7607627343951845bef8.png

• 2 years later...

Technically, the trim that is done over a door such as in your picture is not a lintel.  A lintel is a structural element that supports the weight of the wall over a wall opening and distributes it to the surrounding walls.

In construction the term header is often used in place of the word lintel, although in some building codes the structural element over a wall element is only referred to as a lintel, and header is not defined.

There are technical terms for the crown molding over a door or window but the term lintel is not one of them.  While in classical architecture an architrave was a structural element that spanned columns, in modern times this word is more commonly attributed to the shape of the casing that finishes off a door or window frame to hide the gap between the jamb or frame and the finished wall.  On exterior doors and windows the part at the top that protrudes is sometimes called a cornice.  A cornice (from the Italian word for ledge) is generally any horizontal decorative moulding that crowns a building or furniture element. For example, the cornice over a door or window among other architectural feature.  

The end of my architectural history lesson for today.  

Here is a pretty good guide as to what the parts are called.  What has not been addressed here is the dentil molding seen in the OP's opening post #1, and how to do it in Chief.

Alan linked to a great book above.  If we are in this biz, we ought to learn the names of things.

download.jpg