akabuilder

How To Create A Roof on the 1st Level (below 2nd Story)

Recommended Posts

I often have trouble drawing a roof that is below another roof, i.e. on a 2nd  or 3rd story house. If i use "Build Roof Planes", the roof planes keep will build on the upper floor even though i am working on the 1st Level. They attach to the upper story roof instead of a 1st story roof plane. How do I correct this? In this instance I  have a deck and  entry door at a split level and this is where I would like the roof to appear over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, akabuilder said:

and this is where I would like the roof to appear over.

 

An image of the problem would help.

 

Are you asking about where the roof planes appear in plan, or where they are located in 3D space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roofs build over rooms. Room (wall) height is controlled by ceiling height.

 

Best if you can show an example -- even a fabricated one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, akabuilder said:

the roof planes keep will build on the upper floor even though i am working on the 1st Level.

 

The auto roof builder builds all roof planes and is not constrained by floor.

 

The 2 plans have problems, but as far as I can tell, the roofs are building where you have told them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>I often have trouble drawing a roof that is below another roof, i.e. on a 2nd  or 3rd story house. If i use "Build Roof Planes", the roof planes keep will build on the upper floor even though i am working on the 1st Level. 

 

Like Solver stated roof builds everywhere where it is needed.

 

In this instance I  have a deck and  entry door at a split level and this is where I would like the roof to appear over.

 

Sometimes it is easier to just start drawing a roof plane by pressing Q key. 

 

You can 

1) make baseline polynine, to make polyline and give roof builder the direction to build/rebuild roofs.

2) for your front porch you can section off the area you want to have roof, and open this room and specify roof over this room.

3) Or my preference: press Q, set  1 st point outside the deck corner post, drag cursor along the stairs to specify how wide your roof plane should be click, now draw toward the house [final click]. All it takes 3 clicks [5 seconds tops]

 

 BTW: It is very discouraged to have a deck over any living space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say this because often it's not a popular answer but if you learn how to draw roofs manually and understand how they work, you can usually make the roof work fairly easily.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, akabuilder said:

How do I correct this?

As Tommy said and I agree, learn the tools, dialog boxes, settings of Chief and use it as a tool, and not a misunderstood "partner", this is NOT "rocket science". I gave up waiting for Chief to "do" things long ago and just caused them as I needed and wanted.

 

DJP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what I do...

 

I layout the first floor...obviously....and when I am ready for the second floor, I set the second floor ceiling height to the height I want my knee walls. In this sample I set them to 54". So that means my entire second floor will have 54" ceiling heights, and that is OK with me. 

 

Now, when I am ready to start laying out my rooms up there, I TURN OFF auto roof build. Now I can move those ceiling heights up to 97" and my roof stays where it's suppose to be.

 

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Here is what I do...

 

I layout the first floor...obviously....and when I am ready for the second floor, I set the second floor ceiling height to the height I want my knee walls. In this sample I set them to 54". So that means my entire second floor will have 54" ceiling heights, and that is OK with me. 

 

Now, when I am ready to start laying out my rooms up there, I TURN OFF auto roof build. Now I can move those ceiling heights up to 97" and my roof stays where it's suppose to be.

 

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

Listen to Joey...he knows what he’s doing.  Great tip Joey...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, akabuilder said:

 

I think you just drew those 2 roof planes along the wrong wall perhaps ?    ( deleted them in pic below )

 

Using the Deck Railings it seems to work fine.................

 

image.thumb.png.8076e4525e5ad3c1c1f2060c0468cff1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SNestor said:

Listen to Joey...he knows what he’s doing.  Great tip Joey...

That is a great tip - Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 6:11 AM, joey_martin said:

Here is what I do...

 

I layout the first floor...obviously....and when I am ready for the second floor, I set the second floor ceiling height to the height I want my knee walls. In this sample I set them to 54". So that means my entire second floor will have 54" ceiling heights, and that is OK with me. 

 

Now, when I am ready to start laying out my rooms up there, I TURN OFF auto roof build. Now I can move those ceiling heights up to 97" and my roof stays where it's suppose to be.

 

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg


Yup.  This is a very good method.  In addition, I also use the ceiling height on attic levels again at a third height for temporary purposes in order to use the Ceiling Break Lines to show where my usable ceiling height areas are when laying out bathrooms, cabinetry, etc.  Once things are positioned I move ceilings back up to where they should be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27470
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    CAJNENT
    Newest Member
    CAJNENT
    Joined