Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

Nice Corona shots!

Corona will not be free anymore by March or April.

I am able to get similar results with Vray if I use vrayphysicalcamera but render time increases significantly.

This one took about 3 minutes.

Nice materials, lighting and render time Chiefer.

Wow! care to share your settings?

Sure. It really depends on the scene and lighting. For some interior scenes I bring the "Max sample intensity" down anywhere from 1.0 - 5.0. I get a low noise image in 2-3 minutes on my i5core  laptop.

For exterior scenes I have tried switching over to the bucket renderer and have gotten impressive results. I'll post examples and settings soon. 

Just a suggestion that on some renders you should do post processing more in Photoshop.  What I like to do is massively lighten up a picture on 1 layer, and then lightly erase back out sections that ended up too washed out with the original darker photo on the later below.  Just messing with yours for 2 min.

Kitchen4copy2.jpg

RayTrace with line drawing overlay. Be mindful that the OOB color for the line drawing is not actually black. I kept getting gray lines after the overlay until I realized that the black looking color was not black. The deep black allows you to adjust the opacity of the overlay layer a bit to finesse the image.

post-170-0-49116500-1421385535_thumb.jpg

P.S. How do you get the images to show larger than the thumbnails?

Alan:

If I click on your thumbnail, it expands to a nice sized photo on my monitor.  Is that what you are asking?

Ross:

As you can see from these ray traces, I have never mastered them.  Some different materials colors may have improved the image.  This 1st one was done in 50 passes in about 12 minutes.  The light I put near the floor behind the island is a litte to bright. 

post-191-0-07178800-1421418136_thumb.jpg

I changed the angle of the 2nd image and it was done in 20 passes in under 6 minutes.  The SS on the frig is definitely grainier the the 1st image.  This image has a spotlight behind the camera brightening the scene as evident by the pendants' shades.

post-191-0-28009800-1421418220_thumb.jpg

A lot of good looking renders/ray traces look so good because of the overall design and composition.

No matter what program you use you are not going to have impressive renders with 30" wall cabinets

with space above, no crown molding, no refrigerator end panels, no tile splash, no pendant lights (where applicable)

etc.  I think good design (layout out, textures, materials, complete scenes) i.e. composition are more important to get prior to developing ray trace expertise. 

IF you are just doing simplistic scenes to experiment with ray tracing I can understand to some degree but

I think better designed scenes will give more feed back as to what ray tracing can do.  If you look back through

some of the images in this thread the ones that pop all have those elements.

My .02.

• Upvote 1

Johnny, that image uses the base ray trace with a line art layer and a composition of both, processed for vignette and bokeh in AlienSkin Exposure 7.

Layer 1 (RT) blend is normal

Layer 2 (Line) blend is Multiply w/42% Fill

Layer 3 (Comp) blend is Overlay w/100% Opacity and Fill

hope that helps.

jon

P.S. How do you get the images to show larger than the thumbnails?

Alan, one way is through Photobucket. If you don't

mind navigating through some adds and popups the

free version will let you upload your images to your

own "bucket". From there you can select the image

and the following screen will let you create links to

the image. For the forum I use the bottom one. Just

click on it and it will copy the link, then when in the

forum you hit the Paste Icon and the link is pasted

into your post (the image won't show until you hit

preview post or add reply buttons).

Image1_zpseeea7f77.png

As you can probably tell by now I have been amusing

myself by having a play with tessellations and applying

them as materials. I really like the way this particular

one wraps the corners of the building. I can see this as

a mosaic in Morocco or perhaps Santorini.

MoroccoRT-2_zps38a95bef.png

MoroccoRT-4_zps81c42d61.png

• Like 1